iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Share some of the great pieces of advice that has stuck with you over the years.

Started by customsawyer, February 02, 2022, 06:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

lemme get on the top of the like list for that one.  

a man with time is rich already. 
Praise The Lord

woodroe

Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

jimbarry

Corley5

"Work smarter not harder".  "It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission".
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WV Sawmiller

I like that. 

The best boss I ever had used to tell us if there was a gray area whether we had authority to do something or if belonged to higher HQ, assume we did and do it.  We'd either establish a precedence for the future or at least make it black or white. 

He also said It was easier to ask for forgiveness than permission too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

hacknchop

Most people would rather see a sermon than hear one , in other words practice what you preach.
Often wrong never indoubt

WV Sawmiller

Perfect is the enemy of good.

Too often people want something perfect so they want all the information before they will make a decision or start on something.

I found I got a lot more work done with a good generalist than from a perfectionist. Take the information available, make a decision and start on something and adjust as more info becomes available.

I also found as a generalist who could do a lot of things good or even okay I ended up working when the experts were let go because there was not enough work they could do to keep them worthwhile. Several times it allowed me to be the last guy working on a project and I turned the lights out on several.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

I agree that being highly skilled or specialized in a limited number of areas can be a double edged sword.  At times being an expert can be very profitable.  On the other hand being an expert in a dying field is bad.

So having some specialized skills that are honed and up-to-date mixed with broad general skills will keep a person employed and paid well.  The key is being flexible and adaptable in a changing skills environment AND learning new things. 

I was in a huge machine shop and fabrication company on a tour a couple of weeks ago.  They still were using some old school lathes and milling machines, right next to them were the CNC machines.  In talking with the machinists, they said they needed the skills required to operate the manual machines to understand and operate the CNC machines.  Most of the manual machines were used for one off items, repair items and "rapid prototyping."  

There's the advice we in the Career and Technical Education field have been giving young people for years and years, "Become a lifelong learner" and "You have to be prepared for jobs that don't exist yet" and "A four year degree isn't for everyone, but some sort of training beyond high school is a necessity for most."
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

rusticretreater

Knowledge is what you get when you read the fine print.  Experience is what you get when you don't.

This is one of my own based on years of observance, some personal experience, many stories and numerous times of shaking my head sadly:

Never underestimate a man's ability to screw up his own life.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

JJ

Big_eddy

"If all you care about is money, you will never have enough."

My advice to my 4 boys.
"I know you're going to learn from your own mistakes. Do me a favour, and learn from mine too."

47sawdust

"Show up on time,do good work and keep your nose clean."

don't pay attention to this one-

"Why use 2 nails when 1 will almost do."

manana marina 1977 Virgin Islands (think Jimmy Buffet)
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Wlmedley

If it won't go force it.If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.   What I was told by a old man when I started doing mechanic work.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

Gere Flewelling

From an old mechanic who mentored me when I was in my late teens:
-When you know what size hammer to use on the whatever project you are working on, you will have mechanic'n pretty well figured out.  
-Use your head before you use your tools.
-Run your welder at as low of a temperature as you can and still make a good weld.

From a junior high shop teacher:
You will work a life time to build a good reputation, but it only takes one mistake to ruin it.  Think about what you are doing!

Words I wish I had followed more than I have.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

frazman

This one has always stuck with me from my previous work as a designer in metal work.

" Have you tried it because how do you know it doesn't work "

And this one I always tell the younger generation 

" always think before you start anything "

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

elk42

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

cutterboy

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

GAB

Quote from: customsawyer on February 06, 2022, 07:29:18 AM
You have two ears and one mouth. There's a reason for that.
And the ratio of using each should be the cube of the numbers at a minimum!
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

newoodguy78

You've also got two eyes and one mouth, use your eyes and ears more than your mouth and you'll remember what you're being taught. 
Was told that a long time ago and never forgot it. 

Peter Drouin

Never be leave what you hear and only half what you see.

Lairs can figure, but, figures never lie.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

petefrom bearswamp

Up through my teens my dad gave me many tidbits of advice, but of course I knew MUCH more than he did then.
Now realizing that it was good stuff I cant remember it.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

mike_belben

if figures cant lie then how does 5% inflation double the price of nearly every product weve got old tax receipts for?
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!