iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2024 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2023, 05:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chickenchaser

WV

What you described is almost exactly what I experienced the previous day. Rain overnight and cold rain/snow mix early. I decided to give it a go when the sun peeked through a few times.

The engine cranked normally and when I began to use the hydraulics- slow and I could hear the engine struggling. A few minutes later the display on my Setworks began to act funky. Up/down and power feed jerky or non responsive. I would push the head to another position on the strip...staccato functions. The response was actually somewhat better on auxiliary vs normal operating key position.

My thoughts were the battery or alternator. The switch is maybe 20 hours old so I wasn't concerned about it.

I pulled the battery and put it on charger/maintainer.

Yesterday I put the battery on and tried again.

1) it was sunny and maybe 5-10 degrees warmer.
2) the mill had a chance to dry somewhat.
I've had issues occasionally with wet foggy conditions and the hydraulics. The mill is outside the majority of the time
3) the battery was fully charged

The functions were better but I still had spots with slow or no function.

I had came prepared to address the copper strip as I usually do with the Scotch Brite pad...but I decided to try something new first.
I had a can of spray electronic contact cleaner I had picked up for another application.
I sprayed the copper strip and engaged F/R a couple of times. The hydraulics functioned noticeably better. I sprayed the strip and the contact block especially...and while in motion.

I now have excellent function everywhere except the one problematic area that I have learned to avoid. I feel like this is a grounding issue and will address it indoors.

I was going to post the question about using contact cleaner but opportunity to do it here seemed appropriate.

Doc's advice on fluid temperature is probably more relevant for you but I was impressed with the results of the spray.

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

WV Sawmiller

CC,

It has been a month or so since I ran the mill. It lives outside under a nylon cover I bought from WM when I got the mill (and probably should replace due to the number of patches from burn holes and such). The last time I ran it I had to jump it off but this time it fired right up. I let it idle while I rolled the log on the arms. It lifted it about half way but no more so I got the FEL and helped and the arms would raise a little more till I got loaded but the claw would not turn it or the clamp slide it over. While doing that I ran the clamp or claw all the way down and it killed the engine which would not re-start do I drove my truck over and jumped it. I got the log in place and sawed the first slab and a couple of flitches. The engine was running good and the blade cut good. I turned it 90 degrees and had to manually move it over to get it tight against the side supports. I clamped (probably light but adequate) and sawed another slab then a flitch or two and rotated again. This time it was easier because the mill and oil was warm and the cant was getting lighter with every cut. I cut more then rotated with no problems on any system then one more rotation to align the heart check and sawed to the rails.

The engine and head cut normally. Only the hydraulics were not working properly or at normal speed. I got some phone calls and had to shut the mill off a couple of times and it stated back immediately. I had 1.6 engine hours on the mill when I finished the log.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

jpassardi

Milled 2000 BF of Ash for 2nd Floor decking of a barn I'm going to build. 12, 10 and 8 foot random width. Pine siding milled and stickered. Next: red oak studs rafters and joists.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

chickenchaser

WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

beenthere

jpassardi
Do you see a good line-up of stickers and load transferred down to the supporting bolsters at the ground? I do not.

Hope that doesn't cause boards to be warped.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fluidpowerpro

Quote from: doc henderson on January 11, 2024, 07:10:15 PM

I use the bigger one on the hydraulic tank. even if on overnight, the tank just feels warm to touch.  runs like summer.  be sure and remove it before milling legs off a bench, especially if they have wedged through tenons!   :snowball:   :D :D :D

When sizing in tank immersion heaters for hydraulic reservoirs, you typically never want to exceed 20 Watts per inch of element length. This is to avoid scorching the oil. I only mention this to point out that you must be careful when using other types of heaters because too much heat concentrated in a small area can degrade the oil.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

jpassardi

Quote from: beenthere on January 11, 2024, 11:56:38 PM
jpassardi
Do you see a good line-up of stickers and load transferred down to the supporting bolsters at the ground? I do not.

Hope that doesn't cause boards to be warped.
I'm aware and figured someone might comment but the 8s can't be fully lined up with the 10s and 12s. They're going to go on their own pile but I just had to get them all covered before rain came.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Southside

Doc - There ain't no freak in fries on that WM hydraulic system that WV has.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

@WV Sawmiller, if you haven't check that bottom rail contact. 

My 35 did something similar with slow hydraulics and dying battery, I replaced the battery in the middle of a job.   The problem returned in the afternoon.   Turned out I had neglected that bottom rail contact.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

richhiway

When operating in cold weather it is a good idea to warm the hydraulic oil. Definitely should change the oil and filter and or clean any pick up screen in the fall. Synthetic oils help.

Also you can buy snowplow hydraulic oil that stays fluid to below zero.

Electric hydraulic systems only run on demand so the oil will never warm up as in a tractor that is continuously circulating the oil.
Thick oil puts a huge electrical load on your system.

If you want to prove it to yourself just leave a quart of tranny fluid outside when it is below 25 degrees and try to pour it. It will be like honey. At zero, it will not pour.

Always service all your equipment before cold weather, winter is hard on everything.

Also if you think your battery is getting weak, change it. Half bad batteries keep the starter and alternator guys in business. They also cause voltage spikes and all kinds of electrical demons. Electric hydraulic systems put a high demand on electrical systems. It is like starting your car a hundred times a day.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Getting to the end of the Spruce logs.
Warming up the diesel on a cool morning. Love that sound.
cool morning at the sawmill. - YouTube
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on January 10, 2024, 07:35:38 AM
Quote from: Bindian on January 09, 2024, 10:47:32 PMI did manage to saw a ERC bar for my log supplier's new house. 
That is an awesome bar top, and you hit the mark sawing it.   thumbs-up
Thanks Lynn!  He picked it up yesterday and loved it.  I should get an installation photo in a week or so.
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

No mill sawing, but I did give the 290 Farm Boss and the 462 a workout today. The 290 is no match for the 462, but way easier to tote around the woodpile. 

White Oak firewood.  Going to my daughter's tomorrow before Monday's freezing rain.
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Magicman

Yup Tim, I believe that all of us "Non-Glaciated" members will be staying close to a fire this week.   fire_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

randy d

There my be a few of us glaciated members that will be staying close to the fire to.

richhiway

Quote from: Magicman on January 14, 2024, 02:41:17 PM
Yup Tim, I believe that all of us "Non-Glaciated" members will be staying close to a fire this week.   fire_smiley

8* here this morning. Sunny some snow tomorrow, lows in the single digits the rest of the week. Probably mill some in the afternoons.
I see ole mis is having some winter, stay warm, MM.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

barbender

It was about -20° F here this morning, thanks Andries for sending it😁
Too many irons in the fire

Andries

Barbender, when it's this pretty outside, a guy just has to share, right?

Sun dogs at Deer River today?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Resonator

-7° air temp (before wind chill) when I went out plowing this morning. Only thing I'm cutting today is snow drifts.  :snowman:
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

doc henderson

-7° here as well this am.  wave res, and I will see if I can see you.  we muat not be too far aprat if we are the same temp! :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

My Sawmill said "I ain't sawin' nutin"....

And I'm staying home with it.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Magicman on January 16, 2024, 08:54:48 AM
My Sawmill said "I ain't sawin' nutin"....

MM,
You took your sawmill to the Colorado Elk hunt?  ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

Looks like it, but it ain't talking.   :-X

Southside

When is the last time you had that much on the ground Magic?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!