iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shopping for a mill

Started by hawk2wp, January 31, 2021, 02:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawk2wp

Hi everyone, new to the forum and new to the subject.  I've done a lot of research recently and the LT15 wide, HD36 and TK 1220 are my final 3 choices.  I'll probably buy new as there doesn't seem to be much on the used market.  I want an electric powered unit.  It will remain in one spot on my property and I have a backhoe with forks to load logs and move wood for stacking.  I'm on 10 acres with a lot of oak and various other trees and will be a hobby, but may offer to mill for others.  A timber frame addition to my home is likely in 2-5 years using oaks from my property.  All manual is fine, but the woodmizer power feed seems to be a good option for the price.  I like that you can add hydraulic later to the HD36.  Does an electric powered unit hinder resale value?  What stands out as better over the others with these 3 units?  The LT15 and TK 1220 have a crank handle to move the sawhead, can you just push them?  Seems like cranking would get tiring on the wrist.  I do like the "single action multifunction control" on the HD36. Thanks in advance for your answers, hopefully I can contribute in the future.

Bob

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

farmfromkansas

How are you powering your electric mill?  Generator or grid?  Would be nice to be able to use electric, quiet and reduced maintenance.  Most have a problem with the power company using electric, dimming the neighbors lights and such.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

hawk2wp

Quote from: farmfromkansas on January 31, 2021, 05:36:34 PM
How are you powering your electric mill?  Generator or grid?  Would be nice to be able to use electric, quiet and reduced maintenance.  Most have a problem with the power company using electric, dimming the neighbors lights and such.
I will power off the grid unless the grid is out then I'll use my 25kw natural gas Generac generator.

lazyflee

Of the 3 you're looking at (I was too), the TK & WM have the welded solid rails. That was huge to me. As far as a tiring wrist from turning the crank, it won't get tired, easy as pie. And your wrist will be the least of your tiredness! Moving, turning, stacking is what gets me. WM LT15 Wide in my shed, absolutely love it. Good luck and have fun!

Thank You Sponsors!