iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tools collected, timber prepared, framing begins. Update 1 - Hands on hewing

Started by nebruks, July 24, 2011, 05:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebruks

Quote from: bic on August 08, 2011, 06:48:19 AM
great workmanship nebruks
I'm curious as to how you cut your post groves for the log infill to slide in, to neat for chainsaw, router perhaps??

thanks ahead bic

Hey

About the making of long grooves in the posts. I made so: at first with circular saw I made a 5 cutlines and then with the 2 inch chisel I took out the wood. The groove is 2 1/2 inch wide.
As I do not have any drilling old school mortisers at the beginning I have tested the possibilities to do this drilling a several holes with my 2 inch hand drill and then chisel cleaned the notch/mortice/groove. But it took quite a lot of time so I decided to use a circular saw just for that part of joint. If I had the drilling morticer - I would do the job with this hand tool.

Bill Gaiche

nebruks, Thanks for sharing your talent and photos. This is really interesting and will be fun to follow. I can't even imagine doing what you are doing by yourself. Everyone that does homes like this has to have a lot of pride in there work when completed and then living in that structure. Keep up the good work and good luck, bg

Thehardway

Nebruks,

How were the timbers milled after you harvested them and exactly what species are they?  Very nice work and very ambitious project.  Can your  homesite be viewed from Google Earth? I find it gives an interesting perspective on the project to see where and how it is sited and then watch as it is updated.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

LOGDOG

nebruks

Quote from: LOGDOG on August 21, 2011, 04:39:09 PM
How is your progress coming along Nebruks?

I just made an update of the topic. You can see the hewing process at the beginning of the post.

LOGDOG

Looks good Nebruks. Man I cringe every time I see you in sandals instead of steel toe boots doing that chopping and carrying heavy beams. Be careful out there. Looking forward to seeing your house go up.  :)

nebruks

Quote from: LOGDOG on August 22, 2011, 04:22:24 PM
Looks good Nebruks. Man I cringe every time I see you in sandals instead of steel toe boots doing that chopping and carrying heavy beams. Be careful out there. Looking forward to seeing your house go up.  :)

Don't worry man... As you see - my hewing technique is standing at the inside of the log - so it is safer to hew when you stand behind the log.

nebruks

Quote from: Thehardway on August 10, 2011, 08:33:26 AM
Nebruks,

How were the timbers milled after you harvested them and exactly what species are they?  Very nice work and very ambitious project.  Can your  homesite be viewed from Google Earth? I find it gives an interesting perspective on the project to see where and how it is sited and then watch as it is updated.

The timbers were milled on a portable sawmil. Mostly I have harvested 120 year old spruces.. My homesite can be found in Google Earth - but it is very old photo you can see from the air that has been taken about 6 years ago.

LOGDOG

Quote from: nebruks on August 22, 2011, 04:57:23 PM

Don't worry man... As you see - my hewing technique is standing at the inside of the log - so it is safer to hew when you stand behind the log.

I noticed that.  :) Good idea. I was going to ask you how you maintain a consistent bevel on your ax blade with the circular stone? Just eyeball?

nebruks

Quote from: LOGDOG on August 22, 2011, 05:10:54 PM
Quote from: nebruks on August 22, 2011, 04:57:23 PM

I noticed that.  :) Good idea. I was going to ask you how you maintain a consistent bevel on your ax blade with the circular stone? Just eyeball?

I was grinding the axe blade on a grinding machine at first then I am just getting the razor sharpness with a circullar wet stone. The blade is quite sharp and thats what I need.

LOGDOG

Do you have a preferred degree of bevel that you like to maintain? I could tell it was nice and sharp when you were using it to shave towards the line. (Looked like maybe that's what you were doing anyway.)

Brad_bb

That video is too professional for a timberframer.  I think we need to give you a new name: "Hollywood Hewer".

"you might consider getting into better physical shape before attempting such a large project"- definitely a sarcastic and comedic remark.

We may need to all contribute some money to buy you a new pair of shorts.  Those ones in the video have so many holes, there isn't much material left.  :D
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

LOGDOG

Yeah but Brad, I have to say ... I smile every time I watch a video by Nebruks. Especially when he's in sandals and shorts and I'm in a stuffy suit and tie. He's livin' my dream.  ;)

nebruks

Quote from: Brad_bb on August 23, 2011, 03:59:04 PM
That video is too professional for a timberframer.  I think we need to give you a new name: "Hollywood Hewer".

"you might consider getting into better physical shape before attempting such a large project"- definitely a sarcastic and comedic remark.

We may need to all contribute some money to buy you a new pair of shorts.  Those ones in the video have so many holes, there isn't much material left.  :D

Thanks for your charity aims, but I finally made "new" shorts from some old jeans. As you can see in the video when I sharpen finishing broad axe - I am in "new" shorts.... :D the old ones unfortunately gave up. Today I made first girt with some unusual joints. Will post some pictures lately...

Thank You Sponsors!