red

I found a LINK  for winching info  ... thought it would go good here

some simple info 
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/index.html

safety manuals

http://www.craneinstitute.com/mall/Manuals.asp
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

nyforester

I would like to see some pictures of it in action. I went to DANG's gallery but did not see them. It might be good to have one when the log truck is in another town and I need to move a log or 2.

Tom

Both DanG and Fla._Deadheader have that loader.  You might look in Deadheader's album or search for some old posts.  I know he showed off the trailer several times.

Dang made his a little different

Getoverit has something similar but made quite a few changes.

oakiemac

I just saw this old thread after reading getoverit's thread on his log lifter.

I do have Harold's old log trailer but I have yet to even hook up a battery to the winch. I gave the winch remote to by buddy to look at and he lost it (he is here on the forum as floorboy) but he is urgently looking for it as we speak. We are also looking at putting new axels on the trailer and modifing the bunks so that we can safely haul 8' logs.
I plan on hooking up the arch and winch real soon because I have a few logs that I want to hual but I don't want to take the Bobcat. I think these archs work real good for hauling a few logs but if you need to stack them then a loader is probably needed.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

DanG

Oakie, play around with it a little bit when you get it running again.  There's a little bit of technique involved.  I found it easy to stack logs with it, once I figgered it out.  Don't pull so far forward that your arch crashes down, but let it down by reversing the winch when the end of the log clears the back of the trailer.  If you need to lift the log higher, just lower the arch further back and hook your lift chain straight down.  This way, you'll get more lift and less forward pull.  This works great for logs up to about 20" or so.  Beyond that, you ain't gonna want to stack them, anyway. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

getoverit

I have managed to haul some mighty big logs with my loader, but it is a modified version of both DanG and DeadHeader's log loaders.  I mounted mine on the rear of the trailer like DanG did, and it worked fine. If I managed to get the frame a little too far forward though, it would crash over and make a big thump. I actually broke several 5/16" chains (chinese) lifting logs that were so big they would barely fit through the opening. It is hard to tell, but this oak log was about 36" on the big end and about 12' long. I was able to load it by myself with no help from anybody else, and it was right in the middle of a well manicured lawn and I didnt even leave tire tracks. The springs on the trailer were bottomed out :o

I bought an 8000# black mountain winch (ebay). It worked fine, but it pulled loose from the frame and mount I had made for it and broke the end pieces. I need to order some new pieces, but this has been a low priority for me since I have just been taking the skid steer to get logs now.

I would definitely reccomend placing the base of the frame about 3 feet forward of the rear of the trailer, and allowing some room for a chain to keep the frame from crashing forward.

I'm actually looking for a larger truck now (maybe 2 ton to 2 1/2 ton) to haul my logs with, and also a hydraulic loading arm of some sort.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

LedlieLogs

I finally took some pics of my newly finished DanG-Fla.Deadheader-getoverit trailer arch. DanG was kind enough to assist with online help to keep the process smooth.

It works better than I had hoped.

Should have gone with a little bigger winch. But my mill is lite duty anyway. Just have to chase the smaller logs.

Lets take home!

Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

beenthere

In the first pic, looks like two winches on the trailer.   'splain that fer us please.  Is one a capstan on a chain saw motor? 

Loading that way makes it look pretty easy, all things considered.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Good job, Ledlie!! 8) 8) 8)  That's a mighty fine example of the DanG-Deadheader-Getoverit-Ledlie Log Load'n Deevice!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

getoverit

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

LedlieLogs

The winch on the trailer is a Superwinch 3000. Pretty small, maybe for a ATV I don't know. I bought it at a garage sale before I new what a log arch was. It works the arch and does the final pull home of the log. The chainsaw winch is a 660 with a Lewis winch. I use that to pull the the logs to the trailer. Because it was dirt I did not have to use the forwarding arch. I use that when there is grass or lawn. Thanks for all the help and great ideas on this thing. I got it built without asking to many questions. They were all answered in the archives on this forum. And thanks for the kind words on the finished product.
Ledlie
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

Burlkraft

Nice work Ledlie...That's a fine piece of equipment... ;D ;) ;D ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

theorm

Hey Guys,

What size cable would you suggest? I plan on using a 8000# winch when I build a DanG arch log loading trailer.

Theo
???
The essence of loyalty is reciprocity.

LedlieLogs

theorm, the size cable you use should reflect what weight logs you will be hauling. With a smaller cable you can have more of it on the winch. That means longer pulls with less problems. My winch is small with little cable and it is a problem. That is why I use the Lewis winch to pull the logs to the trailer. If I upgrade later I will use a 3000# cable and load up a bunch of it. You can always double up with a snatch block for the big stuff. Keep in mind I have only pulled four loads so far and may find this is not as good of an idea in the real world as it is in my head.
Ledlie

thecfarm

Nice job you did there,LedlieLogs.Now you can get all the logs you want.You won't have to wish you had a way to get the logs home.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dan_Shade

you should use a cable that had the working load of your winch or more.  you don't want to pull that cable in two....
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Fla._Deadheader

Nice job. Just dont understand why everyone builds to a "V" at the top. With the full width across the top, you can load the logs anywhere you want, without needing (much) a cant hook ???

How do you keep the arch from crashing forward when the log is swinging ahead ???

Ya gotta remember, I built the first one in ½ a day. Needed it PRONTO  ;D ;D

Never met the log we couldn't load  ;D ;D ;D

Oh yeah, send Royalties to c/o: Loading-Arch account @ FF dot com  ;) :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sawguy21

The tripod setup would be a lot stronger with less weight than a beam spanning the trailer. I too am wondering what stops the arch when it goes over centre.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Fla._Deadheader

I used 2" galv. water pipe.  ::) ::)

Anybody think this Live Oak is not heavy, raise yer hand  ??? ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

LedlieLogs

Hey Harold,
I went with the "A" frame design because I thought it would be stronger. After today's load I think that might not have been the best idea. It only loads to the center, and you must plan ahead to make everything fit on the trailer. A bar all the way across the end of the trailer would be much easier for moving the logs left to right. Oh well, my bad. I'll get it right next time. Truth be told, I did not have enough bar stock to go all the way across. I don't let the arch come far enough forward to crash. I get near the top and ease her back down, reposition the chain and go again. Still, I love this thing. Maxed the trailer out today and it loaded pretty easy. It just takes a little cant hook work to make it all fit. Came home with today's load and a lady in my neighborhood stopped me and ask how much I would charge to remove some pines out of her yard that were down and limbed. Man, can this be true? I'm gonna get paid to do something I would do for FREE! Naw, that don't happen for Ledlie. I told her I would be more than happy to remove them for free. Her husband calls me and said he was a butcher, says what kind of steak do you like. I say Filet Mignon. He said when you get the trees up I got something for ya. I say OK. You got to love this thing, its paying for itself right off the bat. I don't even mill for money.
Harold I know that you were kidding about the money but when I got it done I sent a little six pack money to the boss. He said I did not have to but it just seems like a fellow should pay for something that works this good. I can't believe how easy it is to get logs to the mill now. Just makes my day.
Ledlie

Fla._Deadheader

:D :D :D :D :D :D  Poor Jeffy. Now, he don't know what to do  :D :D

Of COURSE I was just kidding.  ;D ;D ;D  Glad it's workin out. NOW, sounds like yer not using a snatch block for the cable to run through ???  If ya did, you could simply loosen the cable, and slipit back on the log, and cinch 'er up onto the trailer. It also allows you to pull from the side and snake the log to the trailer.

If yer happy, that's what counts.
   First, it is ridiculed;

LedlieLogs

OK, I'm kinda slow these days. Please tell me how it works. I do snatch block form the sides of the trailer to snake the log in to position. If I snatch block to the top of the A frame what makes the frame come forward? What holds it steady while you winch? Do you let it crash or do you chain it off? Sorry, I just ain't followin ya. But I do know you be the resident expert. Thanks,
Leldlie

Fla._Deadheader

The loader will NOT come forward, unless you are pulling logs from ahead of the trailer. I used a chain, around the cross bar and fed through one of the braces. It went  down and was wrapped around the end of the trailer, 6" pipe, and adjusted for forward travel.

The cable ran through the snatch block, to the log, When you start winching, the cable raises up in a straight line to the log, in effect, trying to lift the end of the log. It drags MUCH easier that way. We were doing it in water, mostly.

If you have the cable cinched in the right place on the log, the log will cease forward travel when it approaches the trailer, and it will be lifted. When the log reaches the snatch block, OR, slips ahead a little, the log will drop onto the end of the trailer, as the arch travels forward, being stopped by the chain. From there, let off the cable, the log will relax on the end of the trailer, and the arch will settle back to the original position.

Once there, you can slip the cable back for another lift-pull, OR slip it out of the snatch block and winch the log onto the trailer. Position the block on the bar, and it will stay and put the log anywhere you like.

I thought there were more pics in my Gallery.
Maybe Jeff has them in a machinery folder or sumpin ??? ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

LedlieLogs

Thanks FDH,
I'll make some mods and give it a try. I am happy now, maybe I could be happier. Of course I will probably have to ask some more questions. Once again thanks for the help today and for the whole DanG idea. It really works very well. Even easy on the trailer considering what your loading.
Happy Ledlie

Fla._Deadheader

If yer happy, you don't hafta change it.  ::) ::)

Just thought you should know how much better I like it.  :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!