iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watcha Makin'?

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 20, 2022, 07:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

I was having all kinds of similar issues last year and Rob once again provided the magic bullet that saved the day. His secret that worked (and still works) wonders for me is to cut the finish with mineral spirits and put on fast thin layers. It came up like glass after I had re-sanded and started over 3 times. Rob is my hero and if his fan club sold autographed pictures I would have one hanging in my shop. :D :) ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

The thing is that I've built many tables and finished them with numerous coats of satin poly and only had trouble one other time.  I sanded that coat off of my own table and bought a new can of finish and put it on and no trouble after that.  This can that I've been working with is new and has been inside my heated shop since I got it.  Perhaps it was messed up prior to me getting it.  Either way, I will start using gloss for early coats and switch to satin later.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

gloss used to be cheaper, but not anymore where i get it.  the satin has stuff added to dull the sheen.  The thicker gel may need longer to fully cure and off gas whatever, and not react.  it was a strange pattern.  may be the wood, looked like you may have used a roller.  I had this recently with my cedar table.  sand smooth, but as I sprayed it looked like dust nibs.  I could use the same can to do other stuff and it was fine.  I went and bought a new can and it did not help.  very frustrating and educational.  mine was going over epoxy.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

well, finish is scraped off and sanded back.  reapplied stain.  here comes round 2.5.  bought new finish.  sorry, no caps because im icing my elbow.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ljohnsaw

Man, pulling that scraper musta hurt! Just pulling a razor knife cutting sheetrock killed me.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

firefighter ontheside

it did, but it needed done.  im icing now.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Larry

Doodled a few designs for lamps a couple of months ago and made a start on one today.

The globe is a Home Depot special.  Happy with the walnut top but not sure about the hangar.  Cut a prototype out of plywood to see if I like the proportions and curve. If I decide its a go I'll build a bending jig and steam bend walnut for the arm.  Negative and positive comments on the shape are welcome.

Finding electrical components at a reasonable cost has been a chore.  Got parts coming later this week....hope I can make them work. 

It seems today's trend is simple and clean living spaces.  I'm hoping the lamp will be a fit.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

beenthere

Larry
Like the design and the proportions look great. 
Now, for some reason I visualize this light hanging above the yard path lighting the way to the old outhouse. Maybe it reminds me of the moon.   8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

aigheadish

That's lovely Larry! I can't quite tell how it's hanging but it looks like it's just by twine. If the twine could be wrapped around the wiring so you can't tell wiring is even there that's a real neat look. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

NE Woodburner

I wonder what it would look like if you fattened up the lower portion a little to have more of a taper as the arc goes to the top?

Also wondering what you will use for a base, or will it hang from the top?

I'm always interested to see your posts as you do some amazing work. I've had a hobby woodshop for years and I've made a bunch of projects and small furniture, but nothing that is anywhere near your level of work.

Larry

Quote from: beenthere on March 13, 2023, 11:05:54 PM
Maybe it reminds me of the moon.   8)
Think I'll call it the "Moon Light", in your honor of course! ;D

aig, I have some cloth covered wire coming, but I also found some wire that looks like a rope.  That might be pretty cool.

NE W, I was thinking about more taper.  I've never steam bent anything with a taper so that may be a problem.  
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

btulloh

Bent laminations seem more appropriate for that form. Just my opinion, but that's a tight radius.
HM126

terrifictimbersllc

How would one glue bent laminations into a shape like that? Carefully crafted caul? Lots of clamps? Both?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

btulloh

Exactly.  Cauls (forms) and clamps clamps are the main ingredients for bent lams. Wedges can be used strategically to cut down on the number of clamps. I would probably stay with 1/8" lams for something like this. After it's dry it can be worked into final form on the bandsaw.

Add:
Could also work with glued up segments and the bandsawed to shape.  

Wild thought - cut out of a cookie of the same diameter. That would be using natures laminations.  Problem is the short grain across the width would be very weak.  
HM126

doc henderson

could also design a void if it is desirable to run the cord up through the form.  you could also just cut the form like out of plywood, but in solid wood and glue up 2 thicknesses thick and stagger the butt joints.  could be like a "mid century modern"  form.  @tule peak timber 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

All sorts of variations on that design idea, but a hidden cord up the center for sure! The globe is cool but how about a razor thin veneer flower blossom instead. Light will penetrate thin "white " wood veneers.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

tule peak timber

This little gizmo presses curves, circles and arches from solid wood in a matter of seconds. It works in conjunction with a deep finger joint shaper head.It is very good if you do not want to look at laminations.

aigheadish

Tule, does the wood have to be steamy to use that? 

You guys are fascinating!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Larry

Bent lamination would work for sure, but I use plastic resin glue when doing lamination's.  In my case, where I want a taper, the glue will leave a line that won't finish the same as the wood.

My plan is to steam bend it than rip it into on the tablesaw.  Next step will be to cut a groove for the cord than glue the two halves back together.

Rob I don't need help spending money ::) .....now you have me looking and thinking. :D :D :D 

tule peak timber

Quote from: aigheadish on March 14, 2023, 03:02:12 PM
Tule, does the wood have to be steamy to use that?

You guys are fascinating!
No the press works with wood up to 3 inches thick, dry and cut at angles. It makes wicked 3D furniture legs, window tops, and door arches. I also used it when defect cutting wood stave benches at Frontierland in Disneyland. It presses and pinches odd angles/shapes all at once. Good for scrap recovery into BB tops that make big$'s. Unlike laminations, edge routing is possible and attractive. Runs on compressed air.

tule peak timber

Assembly day today

Hilltop366

aigheadish

Thanks Hilltop! It does make sense now, it's not a solid piece of wood.

Tule! Big ups on the Disneyland gig, that's pretty cool! I'd love to see a picture of them at the park.

doc henderson

tule peak timber

No Doc.
 We took in the Redwood trees from Frontierland that were planted in the 1960's milled them, and produced Kd clear 2X staves used in a modern looking curved bench design. I'll need to search for pics?? These are at Anaheim, CA.

Thank You Sponsors!