The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: stihl 500 i  (Read 2690 times)

JoshNZ and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Tom King

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • HistoricHousePreservation
Re: stihl 500 i
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2021, 10:29:56 AM »
I don't understand how higher octane would make one easier to start.  Octane is really just resistance to spontaneous combustion under pressure.  If an engine has higher compression, it needs higher octane to prevent knocking from the fuel firing before the plug fires.

I know a lot of people think that more octane gives the gas more power, but it really doesn't.  More octane just adds more resistance to pressure before it can ignite.  The most power comes from the proper octane fuel being used for a particular engine.

I see guys with regular motorcycles filling up at the Racing gas pump.  I expect they think it gives their bike more power, but I expect it just turns their chrome pipes blue.

Please, explain.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2021, 11:24:20 AM »
One thing I've noticed, and it has been mentioned before by others, is that the Silver synthetic Stihl oil definitely makes a saw harder to start than the Stihl orange oil, although they sell the synthetic as a better oil.  I guess from a wear characteristic, it's better, but it smokes more and make the saw harder to start.  So you might try the orange Stihl oil in the long run.

I'd get a can of the super duper premix from the local chainsaw shop, and give that a try.  If is doesn't fire up well on that, then there is definitely an issue with the saw.  I keep a can in the cabinet now, and is the first thing I use for troubleshooting my wad of 2 stroke engines (trim saws, brush cutters, weedeaters, limbs saws, etc.)  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Offline Woodfarmer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2021, 12:11:01 PM »
I found in the winter, prime 8-10 pumps. Pull to test and then started on 2nd or 3rd. Even after running for a while.
In the hot summer however after the saw was hot, it usually needs 4-6 pumps. I think the theory is to introduce cooler fuel.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2021, 01:09:22 PM »
I run the high octane for two reasons- first, around here the 91 octane premium is ethanol free. Second, iirc my Husqvarna manuals called for a premium or minimum 89 octane gasoline. I realize it doesn't make more power, but it does help keep a hot running engine from burning down.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline realzed

• Old Fart
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2021, 03:23:23 PM »
Yup - I too can only get what is 'reported to be' ethanol-free gas in the highest octane version - which around here is 91 at the pump unless I mix in some 100 LL (which I do occasionally) at 50/50 ratio along with the 91.
But I think everyone seems to agree that their saws all sound and seem to run much better when using either Stihl, Husky, or other forms of canned premixed fuel.
So that tells me that despite what some say is unnecessary and costly  premixed fuels - they do make a difference and that difference is undoubtedly the octane levels mostly and to a small degree the additives.
Stihl MotoMix I think is rated at 93 octane and the Husky stuff is 95 if I recall correctly!  
I do know personally, when I have used either in my 261CM does certainly sound a lot like a racing 2 stroke bike and feels different immediately and I have to assume it also would produce more power if it could be measured from the feel of it..
Preignition is bad for any engine - 2 stroke or otherwise - and the hallmark of lower octane fuels is the resultant build-up of heat created by it!

Offline Old saw fixer

• Grumpy old man!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2021, 09:47:39 AM »
I believe the premix fuels run better because they are alkylate base fuels rather than petroleum base like gasoline.  Gasoline is blended for automotive use, not purpose built like the premix.  It has additives we don't need in 2 stroke engines.  I just wish the premix fuel was less expensive.  I use some Motomix, and would like to try some Aspen fuel.  I have stopped using the silver bottle Stihl mixing oil and now use Shaeffer 9000 mixing oil in Southern States 0% ethanol 89 octane fuel.  No report yet on how it works, I still have a gallon of the Stihl silver bottle mix to use.  Or pour it in the 92 GMC pickup.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Offline Ohioian

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2021, 01:07:03 PM »
Since we switched to nothing but rec fuel, 91 octane and no corn, that stuff is for drinkin, all of our stihl products start on the 2nd or 3rd pull. Doesn't matter how old or new, chainsaw blower combi all run better, almost a dollar a gallon more here but worth it for us.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2021, 10:01:19 PM »
I may pick up another 500i tomorrow if the dealer has one , it will be a spare just incase I need it

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2021, 08:15:14 AM »
I have to admit, since I got my 500i, my other saws are feeling neglected.  I still run them, but pretty much just to keep them up to snuff.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2021, 08:23:23 AM »
Sell them, just have one spare saw. If i could get hands on a 500i i would sell my 066 and one of my 361s. i have 4 saws, 3 would be perfect. lesser is less maintenance, less stuff that goes bad without use 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2021, 03:49:24 PM »
I bought another 500i with 28 inch light weight bar set up on it today , there hard to find around here but one of my buddies found this one for me . Going to put a 500i on the landing as well as falling timber

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2021, 04:06:54 PM »
Sell them, just have one spare saw. If i could get hands on a 500i i would sell my 066 and one of my 361s. i have 4 saws, 3 would be perfect. lesser is less maintenance, less stuff that goes bad without use
My saw line up is ms170-ms250-026-ms362-500i. And that’s perfect for myself working on the ground, I could use a 200t for climbing. I could never go back to less saws,
I pick the saw specific to each job, whichever is easier on my body and gets job done fastest lol
Building the land of my dreams.

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2021, 09:06:49 AM »
you can loose the 250, 026 and have a new 261, that will do for both of them. light and powerfull. the 170 i don't know

i have 260, 361, 361, 066. and a small makita one hand battery chainsaw for the sawmill.

i need two mid size saws for when we fall teak in the plantations, one for me and one for the worker. but i would like to upgrade my saw to a 500i, the trees are getting bigger and the 361 has it's limitations. the 066 i use maybe twice a year, so the 500 could do that, with a 25" bar for splitting the occasional big log and with a 20" light for felling  

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2021, 09:12:20 AM »
500i is good but you got to use the power , I see so many guys just let the saw cut and the saw is running quite rich , if running a 20 inch bar on them gear it up with a 8 pin and push 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2021, 09:34:15 AM »
One thing thou guys is saw prices are sure climbing and because no saws there are no deals , you pay what they want or the next 10 guys will , for what I paid for this last 500i is the most I have ever paid for a chainsaw ever , with our lovely 13% HST tax added on saw was $1997. 

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2021, 10:13:15 AM »
you can loose the 250, 026 and have a new 261, that will do for both of them. light and powerfull. the 170 i don't know

i have 260, 361, 361, 066. and a small makita one hand battery chainsaw for the sawmill.

i need two mid size saws for when we fall teak in the plantations, one for me and one for the worker. but i would like to upgrade my saw to a 500i, the trees are getting bigger and the 361 has it's limitations. the 066 i use maybe twice a year, so the 500 could do that, with a 25" bar for splitting the occasional big log and with a 20" light for felling  
In my hands I don’t notice too much difference between the 500i and 362 , obviously the 500i rips through woods faster but weight/feel wise not much . I still
End up using the 362 now since I’m trying to leave my 500i for mostly CS milling and the odd monster pine

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2021, 10:15:25 AM »
500i is good but you got to use the power , I see so many guys just let the saw cut and the saw is running quite rich , if running a 20 inch bar on them gear it up with a 8 pin and push
Mine dont like
Small wood, 4 strokes until it bites into something 6-8 +

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2021, 10:48:23 AM »
I donot cut anything that small unless its limbs on the tree I fell, I run 24 inch most times and a hungry chain to stop the 4 stroking

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2021, 02:05:44 PM »
Me neither but like you said you fall a tree and a couple limbs here and there, smaller co leaders etc. 20inch bar here and never cut unless its burying my feet in large chips 

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2021, 10:22:31 AM »
In my hands I dont notice too much difference between the 500i and 362 , obviously the 500i rips through woods faster but weight/feel wise not much .

That's exactly what i need, same weight but more grunt!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Mounting Cannon S2 (big Stihl) 42" bar on MS661 (small Stihl)

Started by neildorin on Chainsaws

1 Replies
Last post September 11, 2017, 06:01:44 AM
by Al_Smith
xx
Does Stihl have a different mount size at the studs for bigger and smaller Stihl

Started by quietrangr on Chainsaws

13 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 08:25:11 AM
by Al_Smith
question
stihl part number for the flywheel for a 048 stihl with two keyways

Started by chris jensen on Chainsaws

2 Replies
Last post January 01, 2021, 10:26:53 AM
by Guydreads
xx
Ordered Stihl 261 C-M & Received Stihl 261 C-MQ