The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: stihl 500 i  (Read 2701 times)

Online YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
Re: stihl 500 i
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2021, 07:02:49 AM »
Funny story.

I have had one time the saw wouldn't start, which happened a couple weeks ago.  One of the guys was pulling and pulling on the starter rope.  It would burp and die, burp and die.  So I holler out to the guy in the log yard "prime it!" and he hollers back "I did, its flooded!!"  So he keeps pulling to clear the flood, aka standard procedure for a carbureted saw.  So I walk over there because this is very unusual for this saw.  After a detailed explanation from him about the issues with the new saw, how it wasn't as good as "they" say, I pull out my Sherlock Holmes and open up the gas cap.  Yep....bone dry.... :D :D :D :D :D :D

At that point I have a situation.  The saw has been run dry which is real bad for some saws, like the 462, because it shifts the fuel map and could make it real hard to start and maybe require recalibration.  So I refill the saw, pushed the primer bulb about a dozen times, held my breath, pulled the rope and it roared to life.  Then I laughed, and made a comment about when the saw runs out of gas, fill it up.....      
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2021, 08:13:00 AM »
I hate when the workers don't get how to start the saw ::). pull the cord with the lever full way down, in choke, they don't hear the pop and start pulling a thousand times more  ::) ::) ::) ::). of course the saw is flooded now and let her sit or get the plug out 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2021, 09:27:43 AM »
YH, I really don't know why people are so down on primer bulbs. Like you say, I'd rather prime it with a bulb than a pull rope🤷‍♂️
Something as simple as a primer bulb can cost you good money when youre doing production cutting. Say you have that bulb go out now youre hiking out with a broken saw your gear as well as the lost production of that day it could cost you pretty good.

Online Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2021, 09:32:11 AM »
I hate when the workers don't get how to start the saw ::). pull the cord with the lever full way down, in choke, they don't hear the pop and start pulling a thousand times more  ::) ::) ::) ::). of course the saw is flooded now and let her sit or get the plug out
Maybe they need to have their hearing checked ;D
Trying harder everyday.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2021, 09:48:24 AM »
as well the primer bulb should feel different when it is pulling fuel, and of course you can look untill they get dark brown.  some of my smaller saws and equipment have them.  out of fuel should have been apprent while pushing the primer bulb.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2021, 10:11:34 AM »
as well the primer bulb should feel different when it is pulling fuel, and of course you can look untill they get dark brown.  some of my smaller saws and equipment have them.  out of fuel should have been apprent while pushing the primer bulb.
The 500 has a different feel to it because its not getting hard its just priming the injector the same task can done by using the pull rope to prime it.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2021, 10:18:53 AM »
I myself donot really like the primer ball as I know it's going to screw up and crack and suck air before to long  and as far as starting   if I take my old 462 and you take your new 500i and both saws cold and startvat the same time to get them started . I will have my 462 running by the time your done pushing the primer . First start in the morning 3 or 4 pulls total for the 462 and its holds its primer alot better where the 500i does not 

Online YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2021, 10:52:59 AM »
I'm not in that big a hurry to get my saw started.   :D :D

My logs are on the log yard and aren't going anywhere, and if I see one run away by the time I get my saw primed, that would be cool, too. :D :D

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2021, 11:03:24 PM »
I like the new 500i better than the first 500i, this new one seems to pull pretty good , muffler was blue/purple color in 3 tanks 

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2021, 05:19:47 AM »
I like the new 500i better than the first 500i, this new one seems to pull pretty good , muffler was blue/purple color in 3 tanks
I have noticed mine was blue/purple and I was worried I was overheating it, that saw really does put off heat?

Another thing I’ll add about the 500i is the chain/clutch cover is plastic, I don’t not like that. 
Building the land of my dreams.

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2021, 07:58:21 AM »
does anybody made a muffler mod yet on a 500i? is it possible? if they put out alot of heat a muffler mod would help extremely with the cooling 

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2021, 08:01:14 AM »
@teakwood 
Yeah west coast saws does as well Egons they both have covers for them but as a warning it makes they a tad bit loud.

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2021, 08:10:13 AM »
  So you can buy just the muffler cover already made with twin port and just screw them on? thats great, the tad more loud doesnt bother me, i have no neighbors and always use earplugs

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2021, 08:21:54 AM »
Yes . I build my own and no where even close to as loud as the others and I get as much performance if not more out of mine .  Just pounding a hole in the muffler does not mean more power but sure does mean more noise  and some motors if the porting is not changed really donot gain much on just a muffler mod . New saws are not like the old design where most times you gain 20% .   

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2021, 08:35:29 AM »
Interesting, i did it myself on the 361 , dual port muffler, and it really helped. i would say 15% gain in power and throttle response.
Do you have a foto of your cover?

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2021, 08:47:22 AM »

The west coast cover its a hole in the front but its at an angle with a little restriction plus its got a screen in it. In the summer during fire season we have to switch back to stock equipment so you can tell a difference between switching just the cover.

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2021, 08:14:26 AM »
I build my own and no where even close to as loud as the others and I get as much performance if not more out of mine

I like that, i don't muffler mod to have a screamer. I really want the power gain and know this has to come with more noise, but the west coast mufflers seems pretty aggressive to me

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2021, 10:12:48 AM »
@teakwood 
One of the biggest bonuses to the west coast or that style of cover is it gets the cover off the bark which can start a fire. Even cutting in the winter here Ive had moss or the like start smoldering from the factory cover touching for too long.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2021, 12:00:33 PM »
I donot exit out the front like the west coast cause you know thats going to raise the noise level a lot , I exit out the side like the factory so yes it raises the noise but hardly at all 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Does Stihl have a different mount size at the studs for bigger and smaller Stihl

Started by quietrangr on Chainsaws

13 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 08:25:11 AM
by Al_Smith
xx
Mounting Cannon S2 (big Stihl) 42" bar on MS661 (small Stihl)

Started by neildorin on Chainsaws

1 Replies
Last post September 11, 2017, 06:01:44 AM
by Al_Smith
question
stihl part number for the flywheel for a 048 stihl with two keyways

Started by chris jensen on Chainsaws

2 Replies
Last post January 01, 2021, 10:26:53 AM
by Guydreads
xx
What's the Dolmar equivalent of Stihl 260, and Stihl 362