Sponsors:

Moving south

Started by Bruno of NH, March 13, 2024, 12:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

That is a good one!😂😂 
Too many irons in the fire

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: Wlmedley on March 24, 2024, 12:45:44 AMMRPIGS.      MRNOT.      OSAR.    LIBMRPIGS.      Two West Virginians talking about pigs.Figure it out  ffcheesy
Them are pigs.  Them are not pigs.  Those are pigs. The last one, maybe I'd know of I was standing there but, nope not a clue now.   ffcheesy
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Oliver05262

Hanging on the wall behind the bar in my hometown was this gem:
Savillederedeygo tuzzinbussisinarow
Noshodemistrux summitchikins summitdux
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Old Greenhorn

'ell I'll be, em are pigs!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

TroyC

In the South, I expect slaw on my BBQ, red BBQ sauce for real south and yellow sauce from the northern south (NC), cold sweet tea, chili and onions on my hot dog, and of course, "Bless your little heart". Bless Your Little Pea-Pickin' Heart has a slightly more intimate meaning of course. On some far out occasion there can be a sliver of sarcasm if used just right.

Went to visit friends in Maryland once. We took the boat out on the wuter. They were disgusted when I offered them some boiled peanuts. They eat pecons up there, not pecans.

I once ventured out west and the Montana rancher asked if I wanted a pop. I thought he was gonna hit me. It was just before lunch.

doc henderson

here it is pop, and in Albany it is Soooda.  I went to a patient's room once in NY, and he had two 2-liter bottles of coke and orange ???  I said to him, looks like you got some pop.  he looks at me like I was stupid and said, it is sooda.   :wacky: :uhoh: smiley_smug01 ffsmiley
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Doc,

Where I grew up it was Co-Cola. When you asked for a Co-Cola the vendor would ask what kind you wanted and you'd say "RC or Nehi Grape" or whatever brand and flavor you wanted.

Dad said when he was a kid anybody getting a car would say they were going to get a new Ford even though it might be a Packard , Dodge or a Chevy. A tissue was always a Kleenex and a refrigerator was a Frigidaire. In the UK people still Hoover the rug.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

Quote from: TroyC on March 25, 2024, 09:09:03 AMIn the South, I expect slaw on my BBQ, red BBQ sauce for real south and yellow sauce from the northern south (NC), cold sweet tea, chili and onions on my hot dog, and of course, "Bless your little heart". Bless Your Little Pea-Pickin' Heart has a slightly more intimate meaning of course. On some far out occasion there can be a sliver of sarcasm if used just right.

Went to visit friends in Maryland once. We took the boat out on the wuter. They were disgusted when I offered them some boiled peanuts. They eat pecons up there, not pecans.

I once ventured out west and the Montana rancher asked if I wanted a pop. I thought he was gonna hit me. It was just before lunch.

Yellow mustard-based sauce is a South Carolina thing.  No mustard colored sauce for BBQ here.  I've eaten and cooked BBQ all over our great North State (NC), yellow sauce is the exception not the rule.  The great regional BBQ wars are fought annually here, who wins is a matter of taste - tomato based (central and western NC) or vinegar based (generally east of Raleigh).  It's a love it or hate it thing.  Few people land in the middle.

Here's a little pig I cooked a while back.  We often cook two at a time on our double cooker.  Hardwood roasted/smoked,  my BBQ is Sam Jones style - of the Skylight Inn and Sam Jones BBQ restaurant in Ayden and Winterville, NC respectively.

Sawmilling is important but BBQ is importanter!  ffcool
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

And I understand BBQ in the south means pork, out west it is beef and up north it may well be chicken.

I prefer the tomato based and not the vinegar mustard BBQ but just so I don't hurt anybody's feelings I'd probably eat either in a pinch. ffcheesy ffcheesy
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TroyC

Ted, I guess I stand corrected on the sauce. I always thought the mustard sauce was from north of us (Greenville, SC). My friend from here in Florida orders it from somewhere in NC. I don't remember mustard sauce when I was a kid. Guess I land in the middle, I'll take either, with slaw please!

Resonator

We drink pop here. pepsi_smiley 
If you go to the tavern you get "pop with the foam on top" or "barley pop". smiley_beertoast 

In a pinch you could call it soda-pop, but if you just ask for soda you might get a box of Arm & Hammer. ffcheesy
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

SawyerTed

@TroyC as you probably know BBQ is serious business!  The sauce rivalry is like UNC vs Duke vs NC State, or Alabama vs Auburn, or Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State, or Washington vs Oregon ... you get the picture! 

Here we differentiate

At least around here, the term BBQ is always pork. PERIOD.  It's a noun ffcheesy  It's not an activity/party for cooking burger, dogs, brats or whatever on a charcoal or propane grill.  THAT is a "cookout."  If we are going to host a cookout we might say, "Hey!  y'all come about 5:00 we are going to grill out."  Everyone knows that's burgers and hot dogs.  Or "we are going to the lake Saturday, we'll be grilling out.  Come by and eat!"

BBQ Chicken and BBQ Beef are terms we use to differentiate chicken or beef versus just BBQ (pork).

Chicken usually has a tomato based sweetened sauce and caramelized a bit when cooking  - think Sweet Baby Rays style.  Usually beef has something similar but "doctored" with some pepper (a little heat)  of some kind and maybe some other spices.  I usually make my own sauces - mild and hot.

I have a cousin who is a BBQ judge in Upstate South Carolina.  They fight about sauce too.  The yellow sauce isn't bad, I just don't love it.  My aunt used to make it and I've tried to make some a couple of times. 

Badmouthing somebody's BBQ is almost like badmouthing their mama! Some guys keep a fresh can of whoopatz on the shelf just for that! ffcheesy

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

SwampDonkey

It's soda, soda pop, pop, spritz, cola, whatever comes to mind. We're multi-lingual.  ffcheesy

Most of the time it was always just pop around here. I have not bought much in years besides ginger ale once in a blue moon.  :thumbsup:
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TroyC

IMG_20240325_111005805~2.jpg

Keep mine on the shelf also. Hope I never have to use it  ffsmiley

Magicman

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 25, 2024, 08:43:23 AM'ell I'll be, em are pigs!
OSAR  =  no cigar yet. 

Another version:  UCMDucks, MRnotDucks, OSAR,UCMWings, LIBMRDucks
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Resonator

The way I heard it: 
MRDucks... CD ED BD Wings? ffcheesy
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Machinebuilder

and in the BBq sauce war don't forget the Alabama white sauce.

Im not a fan of most white sauces

East TN is deficient on BBQ. I have seen people putting frozen butts on the smoker. Ive been told "I don't have time to rub my meat.

When I moved to TN I lived in a small own of Pulaski, there was a fantastic little drive thru joint near my apartment.
Great pork, Ribs, turkey, ham, and really good sides.

I have had the best Brisket in Texas, good sausages too.

I have gotten ok smoking butts on my Big green Egg.

If you're in Tn try the smoked bologna
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

SawyerTed

barbender

All these regional accents, and I haven't even introduced you all to the Native accent. One thing I don't get about Native accents, is that the myriad of North American Native languages were markedly different, as different as Spanish, Czech, and Finnish, but any Natives I've encountered across the country and ones I've heard on TV in Canada or Alaska sound remarkably similar. 

We have been watching "Life Below Zero" and then the one Native guy on there sounds like he could be right from my neighborhood. 

barbender

This is a local guy, "The Rez Reporter"😁

https://youtu.be/ssCcQdaSJZI?feature=shared

JD Guy

Quote from: SawyerTed on March 25, 2024, 11:03:42 AM@TroyC as you probably know BBQ is serious business!  The sauce rivalry is like UNC vs Duke vs NC State, or Alabama vs Auburn, or Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State, or Washington vs Oregon ... you get the picture! 

Here we differentiate

At least around here, the term BBQ is always pork. PERIOD.  It's a noun ffcheesy  It's not an activity/party for cooking burger, dogs, brats or whatever on a charcoal or propane grill.  THAT is a "cookout."  If we are going to host a cookout we might say, "Hey!  y'all come about 5:00 we are going to grill out."  Everyone knows that's burgers and hot dogs.  Or "we are going to the lake Saturday, we'll be grilling out.  Come by and eat!"

BBQ Chicken and BBQ Beef are terms we use to differentiate chicken or beef versus just BBQ (pork).

Chicken usually has a tomato based sweetened sauce and caramelized a bit when cooking  - think Sweet Baby Rays style.  Usually beef has something similar but "doctored" with some pepper (a little heat)  of some kind and maybe some other spices.  I usually make my own sauces - mild and hot.

I have a cousin who is a BBQ judge in Upstate South Carolina.  They fight about sauce too.  The yellow sauce isn't bad, I just don't love it.  My aunt used to make it and I've tried to make some a couple of times.

Badmouthing somebody's BBQ is almost like badmouthing their mama! Some guys keep a fresh can of whoopatz on the shelf just for that! ffcheesy

Ted, what you said is spot on! The yellow mustard sauce is more a Columbia, SC and low country preference. I do BBQ chicken with that sauce and it's "smack your mama" good. Pork, my preference is always vinegar based, with the exception being tomato based when finishing ribs. I'm making myself hongry ffcheesy

gspren

Quote from: Magicman on March 25, 2024, 01:36:59 PM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 25, 2024, 08:43:23 AM'ell I'll be, em are pigs!
OSAR  =  no cigar yet. 

Another version:  UCMDucks, MRnotDucks, OSAR,UCMWings, LIBMRDucks

OSAR = oh yes they are
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

B.C.C. Lapp

BB that guy reminded me of my brother in law. No, wait. All three of them. ffcheesy
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Magicman

OS you are correct Gary.  :thumbsup:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!