The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: My next question in my quest to buy a mill - need input from Wood Mizer owners  (Read 3982 times)

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
    • Share Post
Barbender, the encoder on your accuset I is a magnetic pickup driven off a sproken that rides the up-down chain. Simpleset is completely different. It's encoder is a slotted disk that fastens to the v belt pulley on the input shaft for the up-down gearbox. The pickup is optical, enclosed to keep sawdust out.

If my mill had the old flap type clamp, I would retire the clamp mechanism to the spare parts box, then replace the big springs on the turner with a hydraulic cylinder. Then you can jam the claw into the side of the log/clamp and use that for a clamp. I designed the pineywoods turner/clamp to work that way. Not quite as nice as the wm 2 plane clamp, but close. Pics, videos and drawings here

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,39860.0.html
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Thanks for the info, Piney- I haven't gotten a chance to look at the simple set on the newer mills.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
    • Share Post
@pineywoods do you have any photos of the spring and clamp assembly you built? What is different about the single plane system?

Here's a link to the post about the spring assist for head up....
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,27272.msg391022.html#msg391022
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Offline hunz

• Share Post
    • jeter mountain farm
Not sure if you are married, but I am, so I thought I would share the one thing my wife has been right about....well that's up for debate. I am on my 3rd mill in 5 years, now with a lt-40 super. "I don't wan't you buying something that isn't what you need, or something you need to fix to make work the way you want it, just buy the right thing the first time" My wife has never been more right with that statement, at least that's what I have found! My problem is that I love to tinker, and make things work so to speak. I always love a challenge to fabricate, and see my idea work; this is the way I am. But..... just because it's how I am, doesn't make it the best decision. A 98+ mill would make your life a lot easier, for not much more $. Just my thoughts
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile 2005-2022
    • Share Post
Here are a couple of pics of the Pineywoods lift assist I put together.

~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, Retired Mobile Sawyer 2022, 2018 Silverado 4X4, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
Thanks for the info Chuck and Pineywoods, those are some pretty impressive mods you have done there.  I don't think this 40 is the one for me, its a nice machine and has not been abused, lightly used it will probably be fine for a while, but I think it will need a little TLC if a guy put it into regular service.  Pushing a pencil I am not sure I am getting the most out of my investment there, so the search, and education, continue.

What can anybody tell me about the performance and service life differences between say an older 40 and a newer 35?   Is it like today's 1/2 ton pickups that are more like the 3/4 tons of the past? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC

What can anybody tell me about the performance and service life differences between say an older 40 and a newer 35?   Is it like today's 1/2 ton pickups that are more like the 3/4 tons of the past?
No.  I'd say the comparison of any LT40 vs newer 35 (there aren't old 35's), is more like the comparison of an F250/350 vs 150, from the same year.  The LT40 mast and head are more heavily built than the 35. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Question for the Wood Mizer owners

Started by delvis on Sawmills and Milling

20 Replies
Last post October 04, 2014, 05:14:16 PM
by delvis
xx
Wood Mizer MP360 question for owners

Started by jjkessler on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post December 24, 2020, 02:06:44 PM
by jjkessler