iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A little white oak

Started by customsawyer, March 06, 2012, 08:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

I called WDH about a little White oak log I might be able to get. The 60" peeve is sitting at the 23' mark. There is no knots below this mark and it is still 40" Dia.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Wow.....What's your plan for that big stick?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

isawlogs

His plan...  :D   Try to talk Danny into being board stacker.  8)  Danny is really good at that, also has quite a lot of experience stacking wood, his speciality is wide thick oak. ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

cypresskayaksllc

Did you try to roll it with the logrite? photo op
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Dave VH

I've got a white still standing that's identical to that one.  a fellow ff member here has been asking me to sell it to him which I'm planning on doing as soon as the ground either freezes, or drys up enough to drop it and get it.
  did you have a hard time moving that around?  The base of mine is 38" or 39", and it's 27', or 28' to the first branch, I'm not sure where to buck it at and still be able to move it.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

WDH

Uh Oh, here we go again  :).  I see stacks of quarter sawn white oak lumber in the future.  After seeing Dodgy's bed, that is a very good thing  ;D.

We might want to save this one until Jeff comes through on his road trip  :D.  That will teach him about coming South  ;). 

I bet it is a cow oak from the swamp.  I am game!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Hey, I want in on this!  I've been watching you guys, and it looks like you're in need of an overseer.  Saving it for Jeff's trip sounds like something to wrap a party around. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

customsawyer

Don't know how it is going to work just yet, I am in the negotiation process to get the log. If we are able to get this one letting Jeff tail some lumber sounds great. I think it would be good for Dang to be supervising also.

Cypresskay I did not try to roll that one.

Dave it was easy for me to move. I stepped over to there man on a Kawasaki 90 FEL and said will you put that log over there. That log is still close to 40 ft long and out weighs anything I have to move it with.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

fishpharmer

That's one mighty fine looking big white oak log. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

bandmiller2

Us yanks don't usally see a great white like that.I love cutting oak especially white. Question for thems that knows are northern oaks denser wood than southern due to slower growth or are they the same?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

I would say that the Southern oaks are a little denser.  It has to do with the proportion of earlywood to latewood.  The earlywood is the ring of big pores that the tree puts down in the Spring to get a lot of water to the developing crown.  As summer approaches, the tree shifts to small pore production as growth slows.  This latewood is denser than the earlywood with more fibers and less pore size. 

In a slower grown oak, the earlywood ring volume in proportion to the latewood ring volume is higher than in a faster grown oak where there is a wide latewood band.  The Southern oaks enjoy a longer growing season and grow faster than the Northern oak, so there is more latewood in the faster growing trees.

I know that it is counter-intuitive, but in ring porous hardwoods, the faster the growth, the denser the wood.  That does not make the wood better.  The Northern red oaks are considered better quality than the the faster grown Southern red oaks because of the consistency of the growth rings and therefore the grain.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodsy

That is one nice looking log.  Is it Quercus Alba or another white oak species?
LT40HDG38, Logrite T36 log arch, 42 hp Kubota, 6 foot cross cut saw, lots of axes and not enough time

Norm

That's a beauty Jake!

Glad I'm not doing a road trip through your area though.  :D

slider

if you wind up with it do give me a call .i would hate to see Danny stack all that lumber by himself like last time.i here tell he stayed in bed for a week
al glenn

Magicman

I have a love/hate relationship with those "too big" logs.  It is kinda like "I know that this is gonna hurt, but watch this".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Meadows Miller

Jake I see you have it all set up for me n ready to go for Me Mate  :) ;)  ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) Lynn I just love them big logs  ;D ;D 8) But Im gonna miss having a Lucas for lil bit :( :'(
4TH Generation Timbergetter

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on March 07, 2012, 08:06:56 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with those "too big" logs.  It is kinda like "I know that this is gonna hurt, but watch this".

Could be worse, could be "I know this is gonna hurt, but hold my beer and watch this..."

Herb

MHineman

Sounds like the old joke... What's a redneck say just before he dies.... Hey Y'All, watch this.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

Dodgy Loner

That is a fabulous log :o DanG, I am already picturing a dresser made with a single 18"-wide QSWO board for the sides and top. It would go great with my bed. ;D

I hope y'all get it, because I want to see what's inside! :D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Al_Smith

I've got some nice ones myself .One on my log pile is or was good enough for veneer .

The last tree I dropped last  fall,a hundred foot dead white oak I couldn't move the bottom 16 ft log .It tallys out at between 6 and 7000 lbs . I did manage to get it up on some logs though but it looks like I'll have to fire the Oliver crawler up to get it snaked out .

I don't know what it is about white oak .The thing can be grave yard dead standing and with the exception of the sap wood being punky the insides are solid as a rock .

LOGDOG

I bet Scott Smith would love to have that log for some wide quartersawn flooring stock.

red oaks lumber

customsawyer
i thought you were all hat and no cattle but, with that log you brought in the whole dam herd ;D :D
up here we call those logs "plumpers"
   now to show your greatness for milling finesse, saw that on danny's mill 8) sorry danny but your tailing for jake
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

customsawyer

Red oaks you aren't even funny.
This log is not looking to good as I cut a 8' log off of the top and it had a big rotten spot in the middle. Both ends were good but there was the bad spot in the center. I am going to cut the log off at the 21' mark tomorrow and see how it looks.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

beenthere

That's a bummer. Good luck with the next cut.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave VH

the ground was solid enough today for me to drop my big white, but the wind was gusting at 40 mph, and I'm not good enough to drop that big of a tree in those kind of winds.  It's suppose to rain tomorrow, and that will probably make it to wet again to pull out the logs, so I'll just let it grow for a few more weeks.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Thank You Sponsors!