Forum > Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

Indentifying Hardwoods, uses and properties

(1/11) > >>

SwampDonkey:
Here is a link to yet another tree ID site. The descriptions and silvics are general, as there may be several species in each genus. It includes info on end uses , grading by species, staining and physical properties of the wood with sample pictures.

Give it a go Here

cheers

[edit] Just thought I'de make this a sticky post because there is lots of interest in knowing how wood looks stained, what different grades look like and end uses of wood. :)

Furby:
 8) 8) 8)
Thanks!

Fred:
Ok I have a question.  Silly as it may sound I never had the chance to saw soft or hard maple. I know what a maple tree is when I see one but not sure if it is a soft or hard..Does one have slick bark and the other have the curly bark?
               Thanks Fred

SwampDonkey:
Fred:

We had a discussion on here last winter about tree id by bark. Its hard for me to explain the bark characteristics in your area because of different climate and growing conditions. Many sawyers and log buyers have a trained eye for the different species they saw/purchase in their area of the country. If they go to another region they may get stumped. I once heard of a buyer confusing balsam poplar for red oak. The smell alone would convince me it wasn't oak, but the bark stumped him. He hadn't considered other physical characteristics I guess.

Bark Samples-Click

In my area I find mature red maple (white/soft maple) has flaky bark. Red maple suckers very badly from injuries are harvesting, even on very large trees. Sugar maple (rock/hard maple) has white blotches in the bark. Mature sugar maple don't sucker much, young trees do better at suckering.

If you can see the bud of red maple they are blunt and red, sugar maple are brown and sharp pointed.

cheers

Fred:
Thanks SwampDonkey  I think I got it figgered out now.
              Fred

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Sitemap