iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

I am with Texas Ranger on Ian's tree.  It evidently has some medicinal uses.  

Danny, I followed your link on the Black Oak, realized that I had read it before and was a good way thorough it when I noticed that it was from several years ago. Thank you for linking that to this thread. 
Caveman

lxskllr

Here's my tree...

It's health issues got worse since it was last reported  :^P

This thread got me interested in trying to find the bicentennial book that got produced back in 76. It appears nobody made a pdf. We're supposed to have a plaque too. Wonder if that's around anywhere?

Ianab

Quote from: Texas Ranger on August 05, 2019, 03:27:38 PM
Best I can come up with is Kōwhai
You got it.  The flowers are pretty distinctive. It's not a large tree, and usually grows on riverbanks etc, where it's not overshadowed by taller trees. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LIL

Pronunciation of kōwhai

For those interested in how it is pronounced.  This is of interest to me as I am currently learning to speak more "Te Reo Maori"  One of the official languages of New Zealand.  

LIL   
Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

firefighter ontheside

Well, since we don't have a tree yet for today and the fact that I found this tree on a hike, I'm gonna post it.  The trouble is that I'm not sure what it is.  Maybe one of you does.  I found the fruit on the trail and thought someone had dropped a grape.  I looked up and saw the fruit in the tree.  I'm assuming it's not native. This was on a hike in Branson MO.   The photos are the best I could do.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Texas Ranger

cherry or fruit tree bark, beyond that, nope.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Texas Ranger

JohnW

Does the fruit have a pit like a cherry?

Woodpecker52

Looks like Mexican plum to me.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

I think I'm gonna call that a winner....Mexican plum.  Interesting that it's mostly growing in the US and not that many in Mexico.  I've never heard of it, but it sure looks like what I saw.  My wife said the fruit smelled like a plum.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Woodpecker52

Around me there is Chickasaw plum and Mexican.  The Chickasaw is smaller and thicketer the Mexican to me sometimes is more thorny looking, both have white flowers in the spring. Most of the Chickasaw I have planted are dying due to age and scale but in the past man those plums were delicious .
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

firefighter ontheside

That was something I forgot to mention.  This tree looked thorny.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

caveman

Does anyone have something to submit for today's tree of the day?  Where are all of the west coast FF members?  It is still relatively early out there.

I am temporarily tapped out.  I may be able to come up with some by necks weak, um, next week.

We may have to resort to a multiple guess/choice dendro test to keep us entertained until additional trees are posted.

Confounding compound leaved tree Choices: Green Ash, Mockernut Hickory, Pignut Hickory, Tabebuia, Black Walnut, Pecan (you get one extra just to make it a little challenging).
Caveman

nativewolf

I have something I'd like to get the forums input on.  As well I thought a refressher of different hickory, white oaks, and red oaks would be interesting.  

Anyway, @caveman  I could post a tree of the day first thing in the AM if you'd like.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

A tree of the day for folks.  Hope this one is ok, if we need better pics that can as I'll be on that site today.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

No thoughts yet on this tree?  Hint, in Northern VA this is likely an out population in the extreme.
Liking Walnut

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Texas Ranger

under story leaves are tough, but, best I see is burr oak.

nativewolf

Quote from: Texas Ranger on August 08, 2019, 01:09:15 PM
under story leaves are tough, but, best I see is burr oak.
I didn't feel up for the climb to get leaves that weren't shaded.  There are about a dozen of these along a drive and scattered in some woodlands.  Some trunks are near 40" DBH.  
Liking Walnut

DelawhereJoe

WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

nativewolf

I think @Texas Ranger is right...we have a swamp chestnut oak and the leaves just look more chestnut like and the the bark looks like white oak but for Burr they are out of Range.  I was hoping @WDH @Don P or midwesterners like @barbender or @Jeff or @Ron Scott would chime in on this tree.  
Liking Walnut

Jeff

Doesn't look like our whiteoaks, but i agree its at least a whiteoak.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Swamp chestnut oak.  Also called cow oak because cows love to eat the big, sweet, acorns. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!