iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diesel pickup truck advice needed...

Started by Colonel428, April 08, 2023, 11:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big_eddy

Quote from: barbender on April 13, 2023, 02:34:56 PM
Another thing we used to have a blast on were the old "enduro" dirt bikes from the 70's- the 125, 175 and 250 bikes that also had signals and such to be street legal. Me and a buddy put miles and miles on those things out on the woods roads around here. I've had half a mind to pick one up lately. Everyone else is going to $25,000 side by sides, I want to show up with a '75 Yamaha DT175 for a trail ride that I bought for $700 and have just as much fun😁
I have a 1975 DT175 I bought for $300 in my shed. She's a little tired, but still runs. I'll have owned it 40 years this summer.  It's not for sale.  

barbender

So Stave, is that new production or a sweet barn find?
Too many irons in the fire

Hilltop366

firefighter ontheside

I got my flatbed back today.  New bearings, new spindle nut, and diff service cost $650.  I'm going to take it back in 3 or 4 weeks for a new pinion seal.  He squeezed me in to get me back on the road and said the pinion seal could wait.  It will just drip a little oil.  Now if I can get the engine anomaly that I have figured out and put some new or at least newer tires on I will be in pretty good shape.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Well, you kind of knew this going it, it would take a little while to dial that truck in. Seems like you have a good handle on it and should be in fine shape soon. I think I've had 3 guys show me the picture of your (trucks) rear end over the weekend. Yeah, I know, been there, done that. Seems like you got a fair cost for the work done.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SawyerTed

Glad you got it back so quickly!  

The price wasn't bad, I think.  While $650 is real money, a couple of good jobs will cover that.  Unplanned expenses can be a hassle, at least you have the tools to cover it.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

barbender

I think $650 is pretty cheap for that job👍
Too many irons in the fire

stavebuyer

Quote from: barbender on April 18, 2023, 08:50:23 PM
It's the 2022 edition. Fuel injected and front disc brakes. The new version lacks the hi-lo transmission of the original. For trail use the fat tire Yamaha TW is much more capable, but the gravel roads and farm lanes I plan on traveling this little toy should pay for itself in smiles and operating costs on the GMC to run over to the river farm to check on my fall calving heifers or the occasional errand on the pleasant weather days. +/- 150mpg and full coverage insurance was $36 a year. I sold a garage full of motorcycles and my S&W revolver collection to help fund my original sawmill. Honestly the putting around forest service roads on the TW200 was the only one I ever missed. This thing is just about as quiet as the electric bicycle.

moodnacreek

Quote from: stavebuyer on April 19, 2023, 06:13:51 AM
Quote from: barbender on April 18, 2023, 08:50:23 PM
It's the 2022 edition. Fuel injected and front disc brakes. The new version lacks the hi-lo transmission of the original. For trail use the fat tire Yamaha TW is much more capable, but the gravel roads and farm lanes I plan on traveling this little toy should pay for itself in smiles and operating costs on the GMC to run over to the river farm to check on my fall calving heifers or the occasional errand on the pleasant weather days. +/- 150mpg and full coverage insurance was $36 a year. I sold a garage full of motorcycles and my S&W revolver collection to help fund my original sawmill. Honestly the putting around forest service roads on the TW200 was the only one I ever missed. This thing is just about as quiet as the electric bicycle.
Sold your revolver collection??  Darn, I thought you where a good guy.    Just kidding, I may have to sell my guns to buy a wood lot up north.

Tom King

I call that getting off lightly.  I thought surely the spindle would have been screwed up.

firefighter ontheside

Lol.  At least if I couldn't be at the project I was able to provide some entertainment to those who were there.  When I looked in my mirror and saw the tires sticking out I immediately thought there goes two grand, so I am very happy with $650.  It's a little one man shop and he put me in front of other jobs he has to do.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Peter Drouin

I put in a can of seafoam in the trucks from time to time keep them running well, gas or diesel. Well, everything, even the HOT ROD. ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!