iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

Hey cfarm, that's the longest message I've ever seen you post. I liked the story and I'm glad you found your glasses.
And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Magicman

I agree Cutter.  That was an interesting read and a super long post and it was done in the "Dumb" topic. 

Happy Birthday my non-Grit Friend.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Yes that was a long post. Of all topics too.  :(  But it ended good.
Thanks for noticing my birthday guys.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Happy Birthday Cfarm! I hope you find your next pair of lost glasses as successfully as the previous lost ones! (Yes, there will be more lost glasses, there always are.)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

OntarioAl

Al Raman

thecfarm

Old Greenhorn. I hope I found the next pair. They will be the new pair. Thank you for the birthday wishes.

I see doc henderson noticed my birthday to. Thank you.

OntarioAl is there with some birthday wishes too. Thank you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

Ray, it sounds like you need PPE when you mow.  maybe a hard hat with eye protection.  :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

I am on my way down to cut some limbs. That is what I really need to do.

Dakota

Happy Birthday Ray.  I resemble your glasses story.
Dave Rinker

thecfarm

Thank you Dakota.
You can tell your story too.  ;D

Southside

But, but,but it was trees, not rocks that were your nemesis.  :D

Happy Birthday
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Happy Birthday Ray!!!

May all your lost glasses be easily found.

Old Greenhorn

Truth be told I would rather loose my eyeglasses then loose my beer glass. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

Southside, no rocks this time.  ;D But I bushoged a place that I dug some rocks out of. It grew up with raspberries bushes and I cut them down. I tried to cut up a few rocks that I never hauled off too. I can see the ones that stick up about 6 inches. Those softball size ones are the one that I hit.  :o
Thanks for the birthday wish.

PC-Urban-Sawyer, thanks for the birthday wish too.
I've been putting off new ones for about a year. probably when I get new glasses, they will get knocked off my face again and I won't find that pair.

Hey doc, I just came in from doing a trim job on those low hanging limbs. I started out where all the trouble started. I have a roybi pole saw, only last about an hour. But I was cutting some limbs off about 4 inches across. Did not get it all done, but enough to keep me busy cleaning up the mess I made.
But that hour is long enough for me.
Now to grab the chainsaw and saw out the big wood.

firefighter ontheside

My flatbed dodge has cheap aftermarket towing mirrors on it that I bought from Amazon.  Last year one of the glass panels, which includes a convex mirror and a flat piece, fell off and cracked the flat glass.  I bought a new mirror piece and replaced just that part.  Well, last week it fell off again and broke again.  I forgot that I needed to save the plastic piece that the glass is attached to and threw it away.  I had to buy a whole new piece which wasn't terribly expensive.  It even has a defrost element, but my truck doesn't have that.  It didn't connect to my mirror frame in the same way and so I had to glue it.  I hope that holds up better than the clips that kept coming undone from the other one.  At least I have a mirror again.  It was annoying yesterday driving the truck without a driver side mirror.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

beenthere

If your glasses are loose, you may lose them.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

you need the old-fashioned tall mirrors with braces that go to the door in three places.

Amazon.com: Fit System H3641 Driver/Passenger Replacement West Coast Universal Mirror : Automotive

with this style you can get replacements for 30 bucks online or at any truck stop along the way.  and you can see the ground for backing in, or way back pulling a trailer.

thecfarm

Not having much luck at the lower end of the field.
I got some of the trimming done. Went to put the pole saw away and the oil filler cap was missing. Down I go again for another search. There was alot of limbs to look around, but thought just maybe it might not be under a limb. I was just about to give up and I saw it on the ground, really the last place I was. 
As I said not having much luck, but I am lucky I found what I have lost down there.  ???
I did go down and spent about an hour sawing out the wood. Then I ran the bush hog over what was left. Chewed it up good. This turned into a big project. But it had to be done.
I rinsed out the oil reservoir with some gas, Don't need and sawdust in there.

DbltreeBelgians

We'll it's my turn,
I sent Bill a text of these pictures and story to make sure it passed muster for this thread.  ;D  @firefighter ontheside
Anyhow I was moving a drill press into an addition I built onto my shop and noticed the table was out of level on it so I decided to level it out. After getting it level I was tightening the nut on the trunnion and I put my hand on the base and felt a tingle. Nah that wasn't a shock so I put the wrench on the nut and my left hand on the base and zap!!  electricuted-smiley What the??
So I unplugged the drill press and commenced to analyze the situation. The drill press checked out ok so I got my handy dandy little 3 light tester out to test the receptacle. Hmmm it said hot/neutral reversed. I call BS!
I tested the others on the wall and all checked ok. Time to pull the receptacle. Kill the breaker. Break out the Fluke meter. Pulled a couple other receptacle's to find the source of my issue. Checked continuity on the hot. It's ok. Checked the neutral. That checks good too. Checked ground. Hmmm, say open. Turned breaker back on and started testing. Noticed some ground wires looked loose in one of the outlet boxes. Grabbed the needle nose pliers and gave them a good twist. Test again. Still showing open ground on the suspect receptacle. Check another box. Twist some more ground wires. Now why did them needle nose pliers go flying across my shop. franken-smiley Oh yeah the breaker. Kill it again.
Back to suspect outlet box. Grabbed ground wire and gave a tug. It moved. We'll that ain't right. Pulled half of the ground wire between boxes out of the romex sheath. Houston we have a problem. Grabbed the hot wire and started pulling and I felt it pop and half of it pulled out too. Now I got issues. Here's what I found.

Now what's the odds of that 4" screw finding it's way into that little hole that's cross drilled in the stud and piercing that romex? Apparently pretty good. Now ya know why they nail them little metal plates on studs near a wire or pipe chase.
All I know is I got pretty *DanG lucky and might wanna play the lottery.
Had that been a pine stud and not hardwood and no insulation in the stud pocket my shop might have torched.

That screw has been there for several years. It was attaching a stair stringer to the wall. I never gave it a thought when I put it in that I'd line up perfectly with that wire chase. 3-1/2" screw would've never touched it.
The red circle is where the screw was.

Be careful y'all

Brent

beenthere

Wow!!
Thinking the length of the screws used was overkill. 

You dodged a bullet there. Your lucky day.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

moosehunter

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Dan_Shade

Yikes, I'm glad to hear that you found that short before the issue became much worse! 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DbltreeBelgians

Quote from: beenthere on September 04, 2023, 04:25:28 PM
Wow!!
Thinking the length of the screws used was overkill.

You dodged a bullet there. Your lucky day.
Yeah you may be right but the stringer ain't gonna fall off. Unless of course the wood burns out behind it. 
I wouldn't have found it had I not decided to level the drill press table. 
I'm still thinking of playing the lottery.
Brent 

Otis1

Years ago I was helping my brother do a simple remodel on his house in the UP. Tearing down paneling and replacing with drywall, I found at least two of the paneling finish nails going through romex just like that. Also, at some point an addition was put on for an extra bedroom and the ceiling light was wired with speaker wire, wire nuts in the insulation no box. And one more, I found a junction box in the garage attic that did not have a cover because the bundle of wires was so huge a cover wouldn't fit on it. They just layered electrical tape over the huge mound. There might have been wires soldered together as well. 

I told him that house was a deathtrap, especially with a new kid. I couldn't believe it hadn't started on fire yet.

Thank You Sponsors!