The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Did something dumb today.  (Read 92607 times)

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Did something dumb today.
« Reply #1940 on: September 25, 2021, 03:29:58 PM »
   Well, my mower fix was easy, just lifted it using a pulley on my deer skinning rack and the ATV winch, sharpened and replaced and tightened the nut then finished my mowing.

After that I replaced a bar stretcher nut on my Sthil 440. The shaft had broken in front of the little worm gear. One of those tedious projects but finally got it fixed, install a new bar and an old, dull as it turned out, bar, cut a few cuts on a dead ash limb in the lot and the whole muffler fell off. ::) Some days you just can't win. I assume was just the bolts vibrated loose but I'll replace the whole assembly the next time I can go by a dealer and get the parts.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #1941 on: September 25, 2021, 05:43:03 PM »
Should have stuck with the string trimmer Idea. The good ju-ju might have carried over onto the saw. 
 Now if I recall my history, and I think I do, you've had that 440 for about 20 years now and at one time it was brought back from the dead? It might be time to go over it and just order a bunch of parts to make it feel good about itself again and prevent some of these aging signs? Just askin' ;D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #1942 on: September 25, 2021, 06:15:04 PM »
  The 440 is pretty old, has been rebuilt, set up a year or so till my new mechanic replaced the carb and it runs good. Just little things like the bar stretcher and a new bar and now the muffler falling off. Basically these things are just cost of doing business. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline gaproperty

• Full Member x2
  • Location: Back and forth between Nova Scotia and NewBrunswick Canada
  • From Riches to Rags.
    • Share Post
    • Riches to Rags
« Reply #1943 on: October 02, 2021, 09:07:25 AM »
I made a cut and then went to raise the head so I could return it for the next cut.  Apparently I lowered the saw on accident instead of raised.  When I pulled the saw, the back of the blade hit the log and the blade came off the wheels.  At first I thought the blade broke, then I realized what had actually happened.  The blade appeared undamaged, but I was leery about putting it back on.  I figure at the least, some teeth got damaged.  Whos done this?
The only people who don't make mistakes are the people who don't do anything.  I am looking at buying a mill.  How do you like your lt15.  
Ray
lostcaper.ca
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #1944 on: October 02, 2021, 09:24:30 AM »
 @gaproperty I have learned that many times over.  I have made that same mistake a few times since I originally posted this.  I love my LT15.  Mine is about 15 years old and only has 2 bed sections.  I'm fine with that since mainly I cut hardwoods for woodworking.  Not much need for 16' long walnut.  I have upgraded the clamps, installed a new 19horse engine to replace the dead 15horse and have added power feed.  I love it even more now.  Someday I might want to buy a mobile saw, but for now this is perfect.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline Roundhouse

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1945 on: October 03, 2021, 10:35:52 AM »
I can't be the only one who now, when something dumb happens, thinks of this thread right away and thinks "this will be perfect for the thread". 

And so it was last Monday. I was feeling pretty good about myself having just moved a cabin with the forklift I had repaired a couple days earlier. There was a new shed I brought to the site and decided to offload and position it before heading home. Earlier this summer I found the shed free on FB marketplace close to home. It was easy to load as only half the tin cladding was in place (roof and two walls) and all the framing. Over a couple months I left it on the trailer and finished the shed. I decided not to keep track of what I spent on that free shed; the matching tin to clad it, the insulation, the OSB for inside walls, the $20 used door etc. Anyway, with the shed complete I trailered it out to the property. 

Trying to offload the finished shed carefully was a tall order compared to putting it on, despite having the forklift on hand. After a lot of fussing and only one close call I had the shed off and on the ground. I was grousing about how much easier this would have been with a deckover trailer. Given the narrowness of this shed I could reach from behind with the forks reaching across under the floor. With the trailer out of the way I repositioned the forklift to pick up the shed in order to place blocks under the corners. The 2x4s I used to slide the shed off the trailer were still under the shed. This is where things get dumb. No problem I thought, I'll just stab the ground a bit to get under the 2x4s. I did that and picked up the shed and 2x4s and started to tweak the positioning of the shed. What I didn't realize was that I had also picked up a large root and attendant clump of dirt between my forks and the bottom of the shed which high-centered the shed allowing it to start a slow-motion dive away from the machine. I tried setting the whole works down but couldn't drop it fast enough before it dropped on its face. 

All in all I was lucky. There was a soft mound that caught it before it landing completely flat. The shed was empty. No windows nor the door were broken and most of all nobody was under it. I came around and tried picking it up with the fork but being so small it just teetered on the far corner. Ultimately I put a strap around it and gently tilted it up from behind. Now all I have to worry about is the wind, perhaps I'll make a big wood pile along the backside...

Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #1946 on: October 05, 2021, 11:03:05 PM »
I bid on a lot of online auctions.  Sometimes I buy stuff that I can use and sometimes stuff that I will buy and re-sell.  Tonight I forgot to bid on an auction I had placed initial bids on with the intent to come back as it was ending to bid on the things I wanted.  This was all going to be stuff for me.  There was a bunch of good woodworking stuff I wanted and some tents and other outdoor stuff I also wanted.  I completely forgot to go back to the auction site tonight.  I missed out on all the stuff.  Well, I did win one thing I had bid on.  I won a 5 gallon bucket and a trash can with some whisk brooms in it for $2.  Not worth the drive to go pick it up, but since my wife drives thru there every day, she will pick it up for me.  Still, I am kicking myself for forgetting.  Many of the things I wanted went for just over what I was bidding.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #1947 on: October 05, 2021, 11:08:18 PM »
 @Roundhouse I started this thread because I did something dumb while milling.  I decided to share it with the group and totally did not think the thread would take on a life of its own.  Since I originally posted there have been nearly 2000 replies.  I think quite a few folks think of this thread when they do something dumb.  Thanks for sharing your tipped shed.  I'm glad it wasn't damage too badly.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1948 on: October 05, 2021, 11:35:03 PM »
Still, I am kicking myself for forgetting. Many of the things I wanted went for just over what I was bidding.

I've done that more than once in the last few weeks!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #1949 on: October 06, 2021, 05:43:34 AM »
Speaking of kicking yourself, which seems to be a persistent theme here.....
 SO I got to the mill to squeeze in a couple of hours of milling through the drizzle yesterday trying to salvage an otherwise wasted/lost day and I went through my checks before the first cut, blade tensioned, log clamped, pith pretty straight, stops clear, #@**toe boards down, etc, and I noticed there was a little buildup on the blade. Tweaking that lubemizer is still a work in process for me trying to get it just right without having the wood soaking wet. So I clicked it up a little bit more and began cutting. Checked it after the two opening cuts and there was still a little buildup, so I switched from pulse to continuous, but turned it down a little. Two more cuts and the blade was clean, so I backed off just a bit more and happily milled along. About halfway through zipping off a dozen 1x12 I happened to look up and noticed the valve on the lube jug was closed. Somedays, ya know?  smiley_brick hits_hardhat
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1950 on: October 06, 2021, 08:43:06 AM »
Do you guys have suggestions for good auction sites? I've never really gotten into it but it'd be a neat thing to keep an eye on.

Oh yeah, I have a dumb thing too! I did some landscaping work at a neighbors and missed, twice, the phone line that dangled across his yard. I didn't see it the first time when I walked around seeing what the work was, then I missed it a second time as I drove the backhoe through the yard. My backhoe boom, however, did not miss it. Luckily, the guy doesn't use a land line anymore and it was just the phone line. I could have been in big, big trouble.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1951 on: October 06, 2021, 10:48:04 AM »
o you guys have suggestions for good auction sites?
I use BidRL.com.  They are almost all in California but have one store in Indianapolis, IN.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1952 on: October 06, 2021, 10:59:46 AM »
Thanks ljohnsaw! Safe to assume you can get things shipped to you? Like, I don't have to go pick up my winnings? I'll definitely check it out!

edit- At least on that site it looks like no shipping. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #1953 on: October 06, 2021, 05:10:33 PM »
I know this one has auctions in Kentucky and Tennessee.  I only bid on the MO and IL ones.
https://www.apro.bid/

also try hibid.com
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1954 on: October 06, 2021, 10:46:27 PM »
Thanks ljohnsaw! Safe to assume you can get things shipped to you? Like, I don't have to go pick up my winnings? I'll definitely check it out!

edit- At least on that site it looks like no shipping.
Yeeeaaahhh, no shipping
John Sawicky

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #1955 on: October 06, 2021, 10:55:07 PM »
Oh yeah, I have a dumb thing too! I did some landscaping work at a neighbors and missed, twice, the phone line that dangled across his yard. I didn't see it the first time when I walked around seeing what the work was, then I missed it a second time as I drove the backhoe through the yard. My backhoe boom, however, did not miss it. Luckily, the guy doesn't use a land line anymore and it was just the phone line. I could have been in big, big trouble.

Don't feel alone with that one.  It wasn't today but a few years back I was running a subsoiler in a field down maybe 16", happened to look back and had probably 100' of phone line dragging behind me, oops.  Hadn't been service there for probably 20 years so didn't think much of it.  The next day a van was parked by the little gray box with a guy stooped over the box working away.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1956 on: October 07, 2021, 09:01:27 AM »
My doing something dumb for the day is signing up on Hibid.com

I wonder how long before I get in trouble on this one... I'm already 2 bids deep.

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1957 on: October 07, 2021, 03:24:47 PM »

Don't feel alone with that one.  It wasn't today but a few years back I was running a subsoiler in a field down maybe 16", happened to look back and had probably 100' of phone line dragging behind me, oops.  Hadn't been service there for probably 20 years so didn't think much of it.  The next day a van was parked by the little gray box with a guy stooped over the box working away.  
I'll add my phone box story.  I was still a kid.  We had rented a new farm and I was discing a field that had been fallow for a few years.  I was rolling the sweetgums and honeysuckle under.  Out near the road, there was a nice pile of honeysuckle.  No problem, that King offset cutting disc would make short work of it.  Next pass by I noticed a grey box......yep, telephone box.  One of the disc had peeled it open like a can opener.  I pushed it back upright and covered it with a hydraulic oil bucket that was in the back of the service truck.  I went and told Dad what happened.  He went to the farm owner's house (no cell phones back then) and called the phone repair service.  The repairman (we knew him well) looked at the bucket and said that's as good as anything I would do this afternoon (it was late on a Friday).  That bucket probably hung there for another two years.   ;D

Wud
You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you cant kill the spirit of patriots and when theyve had enough this madness will end.
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #1958 on: October 09, 2021, 10:11:45 AM »
I have not posted on this thread for a while, and it is not cause I did not do anything dumb...I do not post everything.  today I will post a three-fer.  :o :o :o  we have been working intermittantly on a "little library for my wifes massage therapist.  we decided to just get it done.  mounting the stained glass in the door.  pulled out the picture frame pointer to secure the glass.  did about three points and realized it was cracking the glass as I put the points between the soldered areas.  

<br

looks good but will use the template and make a new one, or repair this one.  was planning to install tomorow.  ruined my day.

I have been cleaning and organizing the shop after the how to store wood thread.  I am glad I could make others feel better about their own messes.  I had trash cans organized by trash like plastic, and i always have a burn can.   I had a little fire going all afternoon and I took out the burn can about dusk.  it was heavy and looking in it was mostly little cutoff.  I had also put dustpans full of sahving and dust.  I carried it out with a hand over my shoulder and the plastic 40 gallon trash can on my back.  walked up to the fire and dumped it in.  the dust in the bottom flatred up like gasoline.  I could smell the hair on my arms and I turned away in time to spare my face.  I was ok, but the flames were big enough my wife came running and was speechless untill I told her I was ok.  I looked in the bottom and there wast still a little dust.  you got it I dumped it in, and got the same flames a second time.  little spot of 1rst degree burn to each wrist area.  good lesson.  

so then i was secureing a log to cut tangential cookies.  I put a few screws in the log through the jig I use.  taking out the screws I knew they would be hot, but my brain said, "so pick up real fast to move it.  it burned bad real fast!  OMG.  so I am caught up.

timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #1959 on: October 09, 2021, 10:28:53 AM »
Doc, those are some bad days in Bedrock!  3's

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
i pulled a dumb-dumb...

Started by Dan_Shade on Health and Safety

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2005, 06:10:46 AM
by sawguy21
xx
Was this dumb?

Started by biziedizie on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post March 25, 2003, 01:01:32 PM
by biziedizie