Sponsors:

Deer Fawns

Started by Ron Scott, June 08, 2014, 09:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Twin Fawns after a hard winter.

~Ron

coxy

nice pics    everyone I have talked to around here has only seen one fawn and I have seen a lot of them   so it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be

Chuck White

I like it after the fawns have learned to run, rather than drop, especially around the hay fields.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

They are plentiful here now. I was worried after our hard winter. Had over 4 weeks when the ground was completely covered by snow and hard for wildlife to find food. Had a crust on 2' of snow that let dogs and coyotes run on top but deer punched through and they were pretty much defenseless foe a while and we lost some to predators then.

I have at least one young fawn that runs the fenceline of my pasture in the woodline. Saw a young doe cross about 75 yards from the house 2 days ago and the fawn came out following her. Saw both of them, or another pair same ages, again about dusk on the cross fence between me and my neighbor. The doe in this picture was out in my yard and ignoring my rat terrier. (The orange flags behind her are little Rhododendrons I am trying to grow in my yard). She has a full bag so is nursing but she is doing a good job keeping her fawn hidden. The flies are giving them fits right now as you can see on her.

I went to babysit the grandkids a few hours yesterday and 2 fawns were in dip in the road. I blew my horn and both tried to run and fell on the pavement. Got up and ran through a patch of tall clover. Hopefully they will learn to avoid the road. We have many of them killed this time of year.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

WV
Pretty doe. We are having the same experience here. Seeing lots of fawns and enjoy seeing them run just to be running. Back and forth like they are playing tag.

In the pic of your doe, I'd think the black dots are likely ticks getting fat. But you may have seen them moving for being flies.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV Sawmiller

Beenthere,

We thought it was ticks too but my wife put it on the computer and blew it up till we could see it was flies. She is a photographer with super lenses.

Once in Ecuador a local Indian guide on an Amazon River tributary took us to a Harpy eagle nest and she blew up the eagle pictures till she thought she had a speck of dust on her lens then checked closer and found it was a fly and that was 75 yards away. In Cameroun in W. Central Africa I took her to a fruit bat rookery in a big mango tree and she took pictures and when blew them up she asked me what these lumps on some of the bats were. I looked and told her "They are male bats" - very good equipment.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

okmulch

Not a great pic but we have triplet fawns in our front yard.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

thecfarm

I have not seen a fawn in years here. Nice pictures.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

We had 2 with mom next to the greenhouse yesterday. I tried to get a pic, but they ran off
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

sandhills

Didn't have the camera but had a doe and her fawn cross the driveway the other night in front of me, the doe disappeared but the fawn didn't know what to do, it was fun watching it bounce around trying to decide which way to go.  I've seen quite a few this year in our area and we saw a buck the other night that should turn out pretty nice, he has a good start anyway.

Magicman

Deer regularly cross about 75 yards behind the Cabin, but we see no bucks until September.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

MM,

Several years ago I'd see 2 8 points and a 4 point several times a week. First day of bow season the 4 point came out and bedded down about 35 yards from me but I let him go waiting for the 8 points. Never saw the 4 point again or either of the 8 points all season after that.
Howard Green

Magicman

They "know".   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

We went for a ride today and we saw a doe and her fawn in the road. When we rounded the corner,they took off. Guess I can't say I have not seen a fawn in a years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 27, 2015, 06:46:40 PM
MM,

Several years ago I'd see 2 8 points and a 4 point several times a week. First day of bow season the 4 point came out and bedded down about 35 yards from me but I let him go waiting for the 8 points. Never saw the 4 point again or either of the 8 points all season after that.

There's an old saying I used to hear on the Outdoor Channel hunting shows, "Don't let walk, what you'd take on the last day of your hunt"!

I know it's hard to do, been there, done that!  :-[
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Chuck,

I'm not a trophy hunter. We only hunt what we will eat so I have no problem shooting a small buck or nice doe as seasons permit (rather have a big buck - more meat but not that much difference). I think I still had a good season but had seen those 3 so often I was sure they were a gimme that year but they showed be otherwise.

Best deer I shot at last season turns out there was one small limb between me and him and I centered it with my arrow. An inch higher or an inch lower would have been a perfect lung shot. I sawed the limb off with the arrow still in it and keep it hanging in a deer rack in the living room for a conversation piece. On Christmas afternoon I shot another in the same spot and at least this time there was no limb in the way.

We're seeing deer in the yard and pasture every day. Young doe has her fawn with her sometimes. Old big doe has big sack but keeps her fawn hidden. Old hen turkey was raising sand Thursday. I guess she had her little ones close by. I rode ATV up to her and she never went far. Last year one, may be her, raised 6 poults in the pasture. Always neat to see the critters.
Howard Green

Ron Scott

~Ron

Chuck White

Yesterday morning when I checked the back yard and the hay-fields, I noticed a doe in the yard and she had some after-birth still attached and hanging out, just about down to her gambrels.

She was a little fidgety and tredding back and forth along the edge of the lawn and I thought she was going to lay down and finish having her fawn(s), but when she turned I could see that her belly wasn't bulging anymore, so she already dropped the fawn and was just trying to finish cleaning.

After about 1/2 hour, she slowly walked back into the woods behind the yard!

Would have really been neat to see her have the fawn right there on the lawn!

WV Sawmiller

Chuck,

Either real late or your fawns are much later than ours. Ours are up and running when you get close to them now. Most are a month old I'd guess. I watched 2 this afternoon about 1700 run my upper fence line in the woods a couple hundred yards above my 4 wheeler road. Not sure if they were twins or separate moms. I dragged down some tree tops to clear the woods where I had cut some logs.  Will cut them up for firewood. Had two young grown does eating on some poison ivy I had dragged there last week when a dead tree with 2" dia PI vine on it fell by my mailbox. These does moseyed through my open gate to my neighbor's side of the fence line. Never did get spooked or run off. We see does within 50-100 yards of the house daily, often several times a day.
Howard Green

Chuck White

Generally the fawns in this area are born in mid-to-late May and early June.

This does fawn will still be a little bugger when hunting season rolls around this Fall.

Magicman

We had 9 does and fawns behind the Cabin Friday even.  Much fun to watch the little ones "finding their legs".

Ron Scott

Seeing a good number of them now.

~Ron

Magicman

We watched one in the Cabin backyard this morning.

Peter Drouin

In the yard eating clover.

Mom was in the woods
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Peter,nice pictures!

Thank You Sponsors!