iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2021, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stanwelch

Sorry to hear about Ms Pat, Magic. I pray she has a quick and pain free recovery. 
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

barbender

Sorry to hear that, Magic. Get well soon, Pat! 
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Thanks Guys.  The soonest Ortho appt that she could get is Thursday and since I have an appt Monday, there will not be any 236 mile away sawing next week.  I also have an appt on the 26th, so I'll reschedule my sawing to begin on the 27th. 

My customer will not be pleased, but it is what it is.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andries

One of the hallmarks of a pro: clearly defined terms and boundaries.
Well done MM, you have your priorities well lined up. 👌
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

caveman

I hope that PatD has a speedy recovery.  I am also glad that she did not break her hip or femur.  I was glad to finally meet you and her in person at Jake's back in April.  It is good to have family members you can count on when you need them.

Tell them to have all of the logs clean, staged and extra help available when you get back to the sand pit, so they can watch the magic happen on the sawmill.  That's about one condo a day, right?

I saw my mother walk into a closed sliding glass door that she thought was open about three years ago.  I tried to get to her as she was falling but I was not quick enough to catch her.  She ended up breaking her femur and had to have a revision on an already replaced hip.  She is still on a walker from that incident and still has a lot of pain.

Don P was writing the truth about age and gravity.
Caveman

richhiway

Best wishes for a swift recovery. Take Care!
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

WDH

Oh No!  Take good care of her, Sir. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GAB

MM:
Like others, I wish your wife a speedy and painless recovery.
Please tell her the next time she wants to test gravity with a fragile object to use an egg.
Hope your DR appointment is nothing serious.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Buck69

MM,Thoughts and prayers for a full and speedy recovery. 

Sixacresand

MM, Praying that all is going well with the doctors and the healing process for Pat.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Mr. Leatherman and I made some modifications to PatD's cast and removed some sharp bumps.  It's much better now.

Quote from: GAB on September 16, 2022, 08:09:30 PMHope your DR appointment is nothing serious.
Gerald, I can now pee over tall  short buildings.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don P

I used to be able to knock down hickory nuts  ::)

This is some walnut sapwood turning what I call blue, it lasts for an hour or two, about as long as the green in heartwood, its probably the same pigment.

This was the top crotch from the log the other day. We used the CSM with a 6' bar. The chunk here was close to square, this face was noodled which is faster but clogs easy. The next pass was regular, then a noodle pass. But look at that figure, highly valuable walnut slabs  ;D.

The slab that DB was chainsawing off the main log in the pic the other day actually had a nice mantle in it, or really 2, it is 12' long and cleaned up at 5" thick with one live edge and some decent heart on top.

caveman

John and I started the morning off impersonating electricians, wiring up dust collectors, jointers and planers.  We jointed and planed a pallet of live oak that will be used for flooring.  After lunch, we cut a few trees that belonged to a neighbor.  He thought he had a hickory, which turned out to be a live oak.  We sawed it into 14' slabs, 2.75" thick, 20" small end, 26" big end.  They turned out nice.

Caveman

WV Sawmiller

I returned at 7 am to this site 14 miles away this morning. This is the 3rd weekend starting in July that I have sawed here. You can see the fog in the picture. It stayed around till around 10-11 am then the sun broke through. I think there were around 25 logs all total left. We figured it was a 2 day job but the helpers finally learned their jobs and kept a log on the arms and did pretty good removing the finished boards as I cased them. We finished around 5:30 pm with a tally of 1461 bf. Nearly all RO, a maple sneaked in and a few WO. Mostly 4/4 and a few LE 8/4 and some 2X6's.

A little over 6K bf for this client. We are all glad it is done and I enjoyed working with and for them. The client included a $100 tip each trip for extra effort and things I don't charge for such as stickers and helped carry  heavy pieces when they needed help.

While I was sawing another customer came and got a couple hundred dollars worth of 3X8X12s at my house and my sharpener guru came and picked up 15 bands for sharpening.

I got a call from a guy up the road who wants me to saw 145 crib blocks that are 30" long and 6" square out of assorted hardwood. He wanted them resawed into 1/2" "shingles" is the best way I  can describe his plan. I confirmed I can do the work but will be an hourly rate. I guess the time required is largely going to be determined by how fast the can load and remove the pieces. We will see if this comes to pass or not.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Larry

Loaded up this 40" X 16' 7,200 pound red oak log on the sawmill yesterday. My forklift will only lift 5,500 pounds and my sawmills max size is 36" diameter.  I never was good with details.

Took about half a hour to trim it down with the chainsaw so I can get through it.  Made a pass without a band to insure I wouldn't hang up.  Plan was to saw it this morning but got busy.  Doyle says I should get 900 board foot.

My job is to cut 1 X 12's and two live edge slabs out of the center. Another craftsman will make a 5' X 16' table to set next to a indoor swimming pool.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

kelLOGg

A really ugly, distorted, 32" "diameter" rotted white oak with termites - but it yielded really nice slabs. It wasn't round so by YH's standards it wasn't even a log and it was a bear to roll. While positioning it for the opening face, the winch stalled (2500 lb pull Superwinch) because the flat of the "log" was against the squaring arms. I had to assist the winch for a few seconds with a cant hook. Sorry. no pics of the process because I (and a friend) were too busy with the tasks at hand. We sawed 2" and 3" live edge slabs 8' long and were able to minimize the large pith crack to 1 board with a second one showing a small crack. We loaded the slabs onto my trailer via my push, roller and pull mechanisms. Again, no pics of the process but, at least, I have pics of the slabs so it did happen.;) The rot and termites were superficial, and we hit no metal.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WDH

Kyle,

Pretty hard to confuse hickory and live oak, but then again, sometimes I cannot even tell if the person at the grocery store is a man or a woman :) :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

I've been googling and reading a little on that blue in walnut sapwood. I had always thought that when walnut is steamed the color was moving from heartwood to sapwood. Apparently, the heat is bringing the color already there out. I don't have the capability to create 190° saturated steam (and it needs to be done green from the saw) but that would be an interesting experiment with some all sap boards. Ours was a fast grown tree and had about 4" of sapwood which I recovered as mostly white 4/4 boards for sheathing or whatever low use. Being jacket boards they are mostly high grade clears, just white. If "brown" they would triple in value.

Oh, if your batter is too alkaline or has aluminum in the baking powder, the walnuts and some other nuts in your muffins will make blue or green streaks... cool :).

caveman

Quote from: WDH on September 18, 2022, 07:37:05 AM
Kyle,

Pretty hard to confuse hickory and live oak, but then again, sometimes I cannot even tell if the person at the grocery store is a man or a woman :) :).
I agree.  Tree that we cut the logs from had been down over a year.  The bark indicated live oak.  When I started bucking it with the chainsaw it had the "vinegary" live oak smell.  I trashed a blade and a wheel belt due to throwing the blade at the beginning of the cut because I had things a bit slippery with too much lube.  I was running the lube at about wide open to keep the blade clean, cool and tight.  Live oak is a different animal.  I saw it slower than anything else.  On those wide slabs, the blade was only advancing about 1/2" per revolution, but they sawed flat.
I know what you mean about the gender confusion.  There seems to be quite a bit of that with today's youth.  "Girls will be boys and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world, except for Lola
La-la-la-la Lola" Kinks
Caveman

Larry

Don't think its supposed to work this way.

Adds a little excitement to a morning at the sawmill. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

TimGA

And that's heavy, now to not break or bend anything. What are the chances of that falling in that limb rot ?    
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

cutterboy

:D :D :D  Larry, I'm sorry about laughing at your misfortune but that is funny. :D :D :D

How did you get it off?
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Magicman

I zoomed in on that knot hole when you pictured the log in Reply #1314, and wondered how far the hollow went.  Obviously you found out.  :-X

WDH

He is probably still out there trying to get it off :)

bigblockyeti

Quote from: Larry on September 17, 2022, 10:47:02 PM
Loaded up this 40" X 16' 7,200 pound red oak log on the sawmill yesterday. My forklift will only lift 5,500 pounds and my sawmills max size is 36" diameter.  I never was good with details.

Looks like that log gave birth to a sawmill!

Thank You Sponsors!