Peter Drouin

Always nice to get out of the sun,
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

KenMac

Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 27, 2021, 08:56:03 PM

Always nice to get out of the sun,
The smartest thing I did was to build a pole barn for my mill. I would not do much sawing at all without it. Of course, I don't travel to saw but it keeps me in the shade.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Southside

Nice thing with the Super 70 is the optional A/C that is available.  Mine didn't come with one, but I can add it on, need to do that.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

SS,

I don't think you are going to want to add that A/C option on your 70. I understand they are not environmentally friendly and government regulations will be retroactively prohibiting in the near future plus sitting in the 72 degree climate and handling the 98 degree lumber being produced causes your hands to crack. A better option seems to be the new plug in moon suit that not only keeps you cool but also protects you from the sawdust, exposure to irritants like some sawdust and poison ivy and the elements allowing you to saw in the rain and snow. The original model took about 45 minutes to put on and take off and was causing problems with older sawyers with weak bladders and digestive systems but the newest models come with a trap door and free box of depends.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

jasonb

Quote from: Magicman on August 27, 2021, 02:19:11 PM
Starting early (6:00) and sawing until it gets hot, then knocking off and waiting until the next day.  

I helped my Dad build houses and in the summer this was our schedule when he got older.  Work 6:00 until 12:00 and decide if he could work any longer.
HM122

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 28, 2021, 07:53:58 AM
SS,

I don't think you are going to want to add that A/C option on your 70. I understand they are not environmentally friendly and government regulations will be retroactively prohibiting in the near future plus sitting in the 72 degree climate and handling the 98 degree lumber being produced causes your hands to crack. A better option seems to be the new plug in moon suit that not only keeps you cool but also protects you from the sawdust, exposure to irritants like some sawdust and poison ivy and the elements allowing you to saw in the rain and snow. The original model took about 45 minutes to put on and take off and was causing problems with older sawyers with weak bladders and digestive systems but the newest models come with a trap door and free box of depends.
WV,
     I think you have snorted too much sawdust.
                       hugs, Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Magicman

We finished the Red Oak that was skidded to the top of the hill this morning (852 bf) of mostly 1X6's with a few 2X6's, etc.  Total for this job so far is 2686 bf sawn only in the mornings.

And yup as I told the customer, metal in the last log.  Fence wire that cost him $45.

The sawmill is now parked 'under the hill' at his largest log that measures 46" and also has metal.  We will get to it after Hurricane Ida passes.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

HemlockKing

Quote from: Magicman on August 28, 2021, 04:32:15 PM

We finished the Red Oak that was skidded to the top of the hill this morning (852 bf) of mostly 1X6's with a few 2X6's, etc.  Total for this job so far is 2686 bf sawn only in the mornings.

And yup as I told the customer, metal in the last log.  Fence wire that cost him $45.

The sawmill is now parked 'under the hill' at his largest log that measures 46" and also has metal.  We will get to it after Hurricane Ida passes.
Best of luck MM, don’t forget to secure the bbq and deck furniture lol 
A1

WV Sawmiller

Brandi,

Must have been the mixture of that spalted maple and the red cedar.  :D

Lynn,

Stay safe and above the water level. I guess it is too late to suggest leaving that log on the mill to keep it from blowing away. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I was happy to finish sawing all of the logs on top of the hill and be able to move the sawmill to the bottom of the hill to that log as a precautionary measure. 

We are on high ground here at home and also at the Cabin so no chance of flooding but we could be blown away.  We have many trees that would reach our home; SYP, Red & White Oak.   :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

My son in law is at my house now.  In the morning he is headed to Louisiana to deal with storm damage.  He will likely be gone for two weeks.  I asked him if he is taking a second pair of boots, boot dryer, bug dope and extra socks.  Yes to all...not his first rodeo.  I hope y'all come through this blow with minimal damage.

MM, are you charging $45 for a damaged blade now?  I was sawing a do nothing job today for a repeat customer and on the last board I sawed into the clamp.  It was almost low enough.
Caveman

DennisK

Doesn't MM saw by the hour, blade cost and down time probably add up to that.

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on August 28, 2021, 04:32:15 PMFence wire that cost him $45.

Quote from: caveman on August 28, 2021, 08:25:56 PMMM, are you charging $45 for a damaged blade now?
Yes, $45 for a metal strike in a customer's log.

In this instance I cautioned him several times that the log had metal and what it would cost.  Fact is, the Oak lumber was much more valuable than the blade cost. 

The huge log where the sawmill is parked.....

has metal and I will buck ~4' off of the butt to try to get rid of the metal and also to reduce the 46" log size.  :o

I almost always saw by the board foot rate and I do not charge the customer for incidental chainsaw trimming.  Sawing ERC and timbers is generally hourly rate.

Peter Drouin

Cutting iron is always fun.

And sometimes rocks.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Tom King

You may laugh about that "Moon Suit", but one of my Supplied Air rigs uses a 120v air conditioner for the air supply.  Put the Tyvek hood skirt inside the collar of a Tyvek suit, and I expect that's about the same thing.

Taking the old paint off of an old house was done in the middle of the Summer with heat guns.  I was going to be doing woodworking inside in the air conditioning, but when I asked the guys what they wanted to do that day, as we were driving to the job on what was going to be an extremely hot day,  they said they'd remove paint. 

samandothers

Did that make you question their judgement? 

Tom King

An air conditioned suit, not having to do a lot of moving around, is not a bad place to spend a hot day, while getting paid.

Magicman

This morning's sawing began here last week

When my customer showed me this 46" butt Water Oak log that indicated metal.  

I parked the sawmill beside it Saturday, and we returned this morning.

The first order of business was to 'jump butt' 5' from the butt and 3' from the top end leaving a nice 12' log.

The log was sorta egg shaped and 36" on both the butt and top end.  The weight calculator shows 5428 lbs. but that would be a log with taper.  This log had none

The Kubota rolled it onto the loading arms and I would take over from there.  The Magic Hook is secured to the log clamp with no slack.

And the loader & clamp working together loaded the log.  

So now let the 'gunbarreling' begin.

And continue.

Until I had three 6" cants for the saw through.  Notice that the pith check runs horizontal with the boards.

The heat forced us to quit at 10:30 so we will return Friday to edge the flitches and saw his last log.  It will be interesting to see how many board feet this log yielded.

WDH

Lots of riftsawn and quartersawn boards from the two outside cants. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

It will all be wall paneling.

The 'other' Oak log that we will saw Friday was brought down by Hurricane Ida, otherwise this big log would have put this job in the books.

It is forecast to be cooler beginning Friday (high 80's) so maybe this half day sawing will end.

Bruno of NH

Mr Lynn, 
You only have 2 squaring arms ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Mooseherder

I cut into a Maple Burl today that has been down for 2 years.

I took a 2 inch slab out of it to see what was going on in there.  The blade dove a lil in the center of it I guess because it was harder? There's a Crack that runs thru it but not sure if is all the way thru.  It split in 2 when I off loaded it.  I'm not sure what to do with it yet.  
It sits on the mill waiting for me.   :D

Magicman

Quote from: Mooseherder on September 01, 2021, 05:53:58 PMI'm not sure what to do with it yet. It sits on the mill waiting for me.
Ye ole log whisperer !!   :)

Magicman

Quote from: Bruno of NH on September 01, 2021, 05:24:41 PMYou only have 2 squaring arms ?
Jim, I suppose that you are referring to the side supports.  I have two powered side supports and two manual.  I very seldom saw short stuff so I have never seen the need to add power to the manual side supports.

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Magicman on September 01, 2021, 06:43:22 PM
Quote from: Bruno of NH on September 01, 2021, 05:24:41 PMYou only have 2 squaring arms ?
Jim, I suppose that you are referring to the side supports.  I have two powered side supports and two manual.  I very seldom saw short stuff so I have never seen the need to add power to the manual side supports.
I understand
When I ordered my mill Marty powered the center 2 for me.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!