The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Did something dumb today.  (Read 95351 times)

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
Re: Did something dumb today.
« Reply #220 on: July 02, 2019, 01:09:12 PM »
No BB gun wars in my past. I was shot by a sniper. I didn't find out who did it for about 2 years then somebody let it slip.
 AH, to be young and dumb, and full of........stupidity.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline trapper

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #221 on: July 02, 2019, 05:30:57 PM »
got a peice of sledge hammer in my hand for about 10 years.  went in the web between the thumb and first finger.  lodged about an inch and half in.  wife couldnt find it.  couple more peices came off that sledge and I sawed the handle off so it couldnt be used again.  Son got a bb in his stomach from his sister.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #222 on: July 02, 2019, 10:29:56 PM »
   I stepped on a piece of glass in a local creek as a kid and a piece about the size of the end of a cooked grain of rice broke off deep in there and healed over as Doc described. Was in the center of my foot so when I stepped on a raised surface like a root or stone or such there I'd get a twinge. After 5-6 years I got tired of it and went to the doctor who dug deeply and it bled profusely then healed back the same. He could not see it on X-ray so said he did not know if he had gotten it. I finally started putting iodine on it and that killed the tough skin around it till it came to the surface and I opened it with a needle and removed it. Heck. it might have been on its way out anyway and the iodine might not have helped but I heard iodine would kill warts and such and figured the callused skin was about like a wart. Bottom line is it got gone and I don't miss it one bit.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Oliver05262

• Share Post
« Reply #223 on: July 03, 2019, 07:06:53 PM »
When I was a kid, Ma would put a dab of Ergophene ointment over a splinter or other object buried in my hand or elsewhere and put a band-aid over it and in a day or so the splinter would be on or near the surface and easy to remove. You canít buy the stuff today, but there is another ďdrawing salveĒ available.
"You can't do wrong by doing good"

It's OK to cry.

I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #224 on: July 03, 2019, 09:16:42 PM »
Ahh the good old days of BB gun wars!!!  Good to see some kids still do it and it does not end up in an FBI raid complete with helicopters!!  We adhered to the the "only one pump" rule growing up.   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #225 on: July 03, 2019, 09:33:55 PM »
I think were the old daisy where one pump was it.  and yes, we are required to report to law enforcement and child protective services as a gun shot.  my pt. prob would have liked to go to juvi as his dad had laid down the law in the past.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #226 on: July 03, 2019, 10:02:46 PM »
we are required to report to law enforcement and child protective services as a gun shot

Wow - I guess I get that, but geesh, it was just part of being a dumb kid and growing up, along with eating lead paint, riding in the bed of a pickup holding onto a heifer, trying to make nitroglycerin in chemistry class...;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #227 on: July 03, 2019, 10:53:36 PM »
no wonder kids do not know how to do anything! right?  I know, it is the near death learning experiences that give us this spidey senses that keep us alive later in life!!!
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline rjwoelk

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • countrysidefirewood
« Reply #228 on: July 04, 2019, 09:50:01 PM »
Southside. You forgot pipe cannons loaded with ball bearings. Light fuse and run. Yup good old days. Here in canada can't get firecrackers. Sad day that law came in.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Online firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #229 on: July 05, 2019, 08:00:02 PM »
My buddy went back for a follow up with a different doctor.  He did another X-ray, one that was real time.  Turns out the sliver of metal was over an inch away from where the surgeon was looking for it.  Decided to leave it there.  I think the piece was only 5mm long.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #230 on: July 05, 2019, 08:28:56 PM »
things can migrate, I have worked for hours under flouro (real time x-ray) and can feel something, see it on x-ray, and still not find it to remove.  Like having something in bathwater and you try to grab it and it keep floating away.  FFOTS,  that metal looked like 1/2 centimeter to me! :D :D :D.  

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #231 on: July 05, 2019, 10:11:49 PM »
You say tomato.....I say tomato.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline jimparamedic

• Share Post
« Reply #232 on: July 06, 2019, 06:26:28 PM »
During Paramedic rotation in ER 14 yr M GSW to left chest coming in buy squad. Everyone took a beep breath then medic on squad said it was a BB gun surgeon said oh so no big deal then medic report it was a sucking chest wound. turned out it was a high powered pellet rifle he was hit just below the collar bone went in at the 3rd intercostal and was laying on the diaphragm. He laying in waiting behind a knoll when his bubby shot him. he got a chest tube and a trip to Children's by Bird. Was very it only nicked his lung missed everything else.

Offline crowhill

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #233 on: July 07, 2019, 07:45:13 AM »
We can never be too careful with our guns. Been hunting since I was 6 years old. Have a deer camp. Late one evening all coming together not far from camp, chatted, started walking single file toward camp, one gun discharged, whoa! Itís dark, guns should be empty! Was told it just discharged!? Really? Once in camp, two of the group took the gun and tried to determine the ďit just discharged theoryĒ, they are pretty good at gun repair and modification. Absolutely no reason for a misfire. A teenager made a mistake, he was asked to leave and to think about the rules of safely handling a gun and to come back the following week-end. Tough lesson but no room for error and stated he pulled the trigger checking the safety but while pointed toward the ground.
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #234 on: August 02, 2019, 06:19:46 PM »
Itís been a long time since I did something dumb, well maybe not that long.  Yesterday I was standing on the tailgate of my F350.  That thing is about 42Ē off the ground.  I heard the phone ringing in the house so I tried to step down with my left leg.  Iím not tall enough to do that, so when the left leg went down as far as it could the rest of me fell off.  I landed on my rear and my back.  I donít know how, but I was not really injured.  My ankle was funky for an hour or so and my shoulder was sore last night, but thatís it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline breederman

• Senior Member x2
  • getting by the best way I know how
    • Share Post
« Reply #235 on: August 02, 2019, 06:29:28 PM »
Ouch.  I put a ladder on my tail gate so I can climb in and out. Sometimes it's in the way and I have to fold it out to use the gate. But for what I use the truck for it is great.
Together we got this !

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #236 on: August 02, 2019, 06:58:13 PM »
FFOS,

Glad you are not seriously injured than a few bruises and a little ego damage. Thanks for sharing. Stay safe.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #237 on: August 02, 2019, 09:14:13 PM »
I did something dumb today. I drove through canada on the way to the pigroast. That was seriously dumb. Took me 11 hours to get here.

I will never do that again. border crossing are BS!!!!

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #238 on: August 02, 2019, 09:15:29 PM »
The stupid thing is that my tailgate has one of those pullout steps.  I rarely use it.  Maybe I should.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline breederman

• Senior Member x2
  • getting by the best way I know how
    • Share Post
« Reply #239 on: August 02, 2019, 09:16:06 PM »
 :D
Together we got this !

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
i pulled a dumb-dumb...

Started by Dan_Shade on Health and Safety

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2005, 06:10:46 AM
by sawguy21
xx
Was this dumb?

Started by biziedizie on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post March 25, 2003, 01:01:32 PM
by biziedizie