The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Did something dumb today.  (Read 95726 times)

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
Re: Did something dumb today.
« Reply #320 on: September 19, 2019, 10:13:52 AM »
blowing leaves out of the fire break.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #321 on: September 19, 2019, 10:21:01 AM »
SS, a big part of fighting brush fires is creating the fire line. This is especially true with what we call 'creepers' which are smaller brush fires in higher humidity conditions that creep along the ground in the duff and leaves and underbrush. To do this you need bare ground and digging is labor intensive and slow. Moving along with a leaf blower allows one to create a 4-6 foot wide path mostly free of ground litter pretty quickly. It isn't the end all solution, followup is need on un-blowable stuff, etc, but it is a quick first pass to remove a large percentage. A crew of 3-4 can move in a line, the first guy blows, the second guy has a grub ax to move out the brush, and the third guy might have a chainsaw.  Everything is moved from the unburned area into the burn side so that any hidden embers will be allowed to burn out safely. 
 This fire line is then walked regularly to stamp out any cross overs and trim up root trails etc. Every fire is different, but this is a basic layout. This is how we do it in the northeast where the humidity is higher than out west. Not sure if it would apply there as much. East Coast and West Coast firefighting techniques and fire types are so very different that it's like we are on different planets. Heck we don't even use the same terms for the same equipment.
 Ask a firefighter from each coast what the difference is between a "tender' and a 'tanker' and you will get very different answers.  ;D :D
 Let's just say if you call for a tanker on the west coast, you had better know what you are asking for, on the East coast, not so much. :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #322 on: September 19, 2019, 10:33:45 AM »
Ok - thanks.  The only wildland fire I have ever been involved with - seen plenty as an observer - was involving a feller buncher that caught.  The local Forest Ranger had two flat tires while enroute with his Indian tanks, in the meantime the contractor sent over a BIG grapple skidder who hooked onto the tracked buncher and drug it into the opening.  Not too long after the landowner, Irving Forest Products, had a helicopter over head dropping water and other than a crispy buncher not much was lost, well except for the State owned tires....  ::)
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #323 on: September 19, 2019, 08:56:15 PM »
Here in MO our fire seasons are in the spring and fall when the humidity gets low.  There is a lot of leaf litter on the ground and thatís what the fire mainly travels in here.  We use blowers to create fire breaks as described previously.  Very different from out west.  I used to fight fire out there too.  My favorite tool was the Pulaski.  I have several that I use around here for everything and anything.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #324 on: September 19, 2019, 09:05:26 PM »
 My favorite tool was the Pulaski.  I have several that I use around here for everything and anything.
I am with you FFotS, that was my first hand tool to grab off the rig, very versatile and light. Wish I had one around here. I was tempted to scoff one off a rig, but just couldn't do it, and we never broke one that I could take and fix. I'd love to have one strapped on my Mule. We get very few heavy fast crown fires up here. but the last big one I worked was like that and blew over a 400 foot safety zone. Pretty scary stuff, changed the way the evaluate every fire in the state now. It could have killed 75 firefighters, but they bailed just in time. That was a rough job, every chopper in the region worked that job moving water and gear. It still pops up in my dreams from time to time. When you see the federal guys, the big 40 year fire bosses walking around white as a sheet, you know it was a close call.
 I kind of miss it, but am getting old.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #325 on: September 19, 2019, 09:37:12 PM »
We get an occasional fired up here mostly in the early spring if it's dry along the railroad tracks, 
or somebody's combine catches on fire in a field in the fall. For those they usually get a couple tractors and discs and make a fire break that way. I just wondered what a Pulaski was?? Not much forest here.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #326 on: September 19, 2019, 10:08:09 PM »
It is an axe with a second blade at right angle, it can be used as an axe or as a hoe. Also referred to as a grub hoe. Very useful for clearing firebreaks and exposing burning roots. Did my apprenticeship on a mop up crew when I was 18, talk about hot, dirty, miserable work but it paid decent with no tax deductions and we got fed well. 150 bucks for ten days work, I thought I had the world by the tail on a downhill pull. :D
When I think about some of the dumb things I got away with I shudder.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline donbj

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #327 on: September 19, 2019, 11:57:38 PM »
It is an axe with a second blade at right angle, it can be used as an axe or as a hoe. Also referred to as a grub hoe. Very useful for clearing firebreaks and exposing burning roots. Did my apprenticeship on a mop up crew when I was 18, talk about hot, dirty, miserable work but it paid decent with no tax deductions and we got fed well. 150 bucks for ten days work, I thought I had the world by the tail on a downhill pull. :D
When I think about some of the dumb things I got away with I shudder.
Been there done that, though in a few different situations. But in my opinion it does not fit in the "Did something dumb today" thread. It built character,work ethic,value of a dollar, and most of all "who you are".
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #328 on: September 20, 2019, 08:18:10 AM »
Well I could've search engined the Pulaski thing, but this is a better place to ask instead.  Here the thread is back on track. I must've grabbed the  winter weight bar oil when I fueled my big saw last time, not so good, got a bit warmish, and smoked a little, but no I hadn't put fuel in the wrong hole. I'll put the jug under the bench for February the most useless month of the year.

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #329 on: September 20, 2019, 04:42:01 PM »
I sure miss fighting fire out west.  Some of the best times.  Speaking of doing something dumb, I went to a fire in Yellowstone and had to protect a pile of trash left by Roosevelt when he visited the park.  Lots of tin cans and an abandoned Ford.  It was a historical landmark.
The second pic is me and my Pulaski in Oregon, by mount Washington.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #330 on: September 20, 2019, 05:01:39 PM »
Very handsome!

The Pulaski, that is :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #331 on: September 20, 2019, 05:08:36 PM »
Lots of things in the picture look better than me.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #332 on: September 20, 2019, 08:41:04 PM »
Lots of things in the picture look better than me.
That's funny FFotS. When I saw the photos and before I read your follow up comment, I thought to myself, man we ALL looked the same in the yellow shirts and green pants and (mostly) yellow hardhats and neck shields. There are few outfits that are LESS attractive and unsexy than that. Has nothing to do with you, I looked worse probably (OK, assuredly). My gear still sits in a go bag on the other side of the room. I think I will leave it there. Although the shirts were pretty comfortable, the pants always made my butt look fat. 

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #333 on: September 20, 2019, 08:49:43 PM »
Originally I had a yellow helmet, but Firecache had a deal on that green wide brimmed one.  I think it was some kind of forest service anniversary edition.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #334 on: September 20, 2019, 09:20:24 PM »
Because of the wildland experience i came to dislike the plain hats and moved to the full brim also. (neck protection from ash and branches, also better balance). The hat I wore on the fire-line bit the dust a year ago. I wear orange now. I might get red for my next one. I have no idea why. As long as it isn't white. White helmets still make me shudder.  ;D (I assume you get the reference.) I always wanted to get one of those helmet stickers that said "white helmets kill brain cells", but I would never had the guts to put it on, I got in enough trouble without it. :D

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #335 on: September 20, 2019, 10:26:44 PM »
Yeah, I get the reference.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #336 on: September 21, 2019, 08:08:01 AM »
OOOPPSSS! My bad!  ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D
 Had no idea you were a BC, congrats. Keep your head on a swivel and your people safe. I worried enough about mine as the Cap, but as a BC, well, I never wanted that. Tough duty. 

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #337 on: September 21, 2019, 08:31:45 AM »
Iím happy where Iím at.  I have 9 folks that work for me.  Thatís as high as I will ever go.  I see the stress that the Chief has to deal with.  I like being on shift instead of days.  At one time I aspired to be a Fire Chief, but not anymore.  Now I aspire to work 10 or less more years and then do woodworking/sawmill until Iím tired.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #338 on: September 21, 2019, 08:55:59 AM »
It is funny.  when my brother worked for a big road construction company, he wanted me to visit him on the job.  He gave me a white hard hat.  I said won't people wonder who I am?  sure enough I went visit, drove 12 miles across the job past gates and barricades wearing that hat.  everyone waved like they knew me.  they just though I was the big boss from corporate.  
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #339 on: September 21, 2019, 12:39:58 PM »
Years ago I worked for a summer as foreman on a construction project, I knew squat about building water lines but had done a stint as a surveyor's helper so was the most experienced ::). I wore a siver aluminum hard hat, the crew told me to keep it on so they could see me coming.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
i pulled a dumb-dumb...

Started by Dan_Shade on Health and Safety

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2005, 06:10:46 AM
by sawguy21
xx
Wow, that was dumb...

Started by EmannVB on Sawmills and Milling

24 Replies
Last post December 23, 2010, 05:06:52 AM
by crtreedude