The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Did something dumb today.  (Read 95736 times)

Offline Rhodemont

• Full Member x2
  • Logging and milling just a hobby
    • Share Post
Re: Did something dumb today.
« Reply #760 on: June 04, 2020, 10:33:08 AM »
Ouch!
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T and now a CS-361P

Offline EOTE

• I don't suffer from insanity-I enjoy every minute.
    • Share Post
    • Weather at EOTE
« Reply #761 on: June 04, 2020, 10:41:06 AM »
At this point, you might ensure that it's sterile, by rinsing it really well with alcohol!  ;D
As long as you're rinsing it with alcohol, you might as well set it on fire too, to sterilize it.  :D :D :D
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Offline EOTE

• Share Post
    • Weather at EOTE
« Reply #762 on: June 04, 2020, 10:47:16 AM »
I was cutting the corner off a bench leg on my tablesaw set at a 45 degree angle. Made the first cut and the cut off piece was on the table and I reached for it. I don't know if it hit the blade and snatched my hand into the running saw or I just dumbly stuck it into the blade. That stopped all forward progress for the day!

Man, I hurt just looking at the photos!  However, I know hindsight is alway 20/20, would it have been better to maybe use a compound miter saw instead of a table saw to cut the table legs?  A lot more stability and easier to keep the hands at a safe distance.  Just a thought.

I hope you heal fast and I hope there's a warranty on the gloves. ;D
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #763 on: June 04, 2020, 10:52:20 AM »
Guess you won't be playing the guitar anytime soon either. I felt my stomach churn looking at that, I remember the pain when I took the tip of a finger off in a table saw almost 50 years ago. I have used one since but am almost too cautious now.

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline EOTE

• Share Post
    • Weather at EOTE
« Reply #764 on: June 04, 2020, 10:58:03 AM »
Oh and about da fingers, they will heal kinda OK and the pain will go away as soon as it quits hurting.  

This reminds me of my Gramps. Whenever someone would hurt themselves, he would smile and say, "You know, the good thing is that it'll feel better when it quits hurting."
That reminds me of a mechanic I worked with back in the 70's when I was a diesel mechanic in Montana.  The guy was in his 60's and had no right thumb.  He would tell the story that when he was 10 years old, he would help his Pa with sawing logs in their sawmill (one of those big circular saws run with a big flat belt to their steam tractor).  He was pushing a log through and got distracted and it sawed his thumb right down the middle.  Needless to say in his day they were 30 miles from the nearest town and even further from a hospital so his Ma did the only thing she could do.  She cut off the thumb save for a flap of skin and sewed it on over the wound.  It healed fine.  That was always a cringe inducing story to me.  
Glad you still have all your fingers.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #765 on: June 04, 2020, 11:15:34 AM »
  The story continues - the ER nurse just called back and said they checked the X-rays and all said all the cut fingers have several fractures so she is setting me up with an ortho doc tomorrow. She said everything seems to be intact and I can't see what he will do other than maybe splint it to stabilize it a few weeks as needed. Do they make special epoxy for this? I guess as long as they don't want to do a river table I should be okay.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline EOTE

• Share Post
    • Weather at EOTE
« Reply #766 on: June 04, 2020, 11:19:04 AM »
 The story continues - the ER nurse just called back and said they checked the X-rays and all said all the cut fingers have several fractures so she is setting me up with an ortho doc tomorrow. She said everything seems to be intact and I can't see what he will do other than maybe splint it to stabilize it a few weeks as needed. Do they make special epoxy for this? I guess as long as they don't want to do a river table I should be okay.
Speaking of epoxy, don't let them do this with your hand!

Offline RichTired

• Share Post
« Reply #767 on: June 04, 2020, 11:38:04 AM »
WV Sawmiller,  This past school year (before closing due to the virus) I was a substitute teacher for a local high school.  One of the classes I subbed is the modern version of the shop class, now Construction Technology, which teaches the students the use of hand and power tools. One of the main points is always safety.  
So the topic of when and when not to wear gloves while working in the shop is covered for each and every application.  They have a Stop Saw in their shop and we have demonstrated its safety on a hot dog, but we have yet to see it work on a real finger.  And I hope that never happens, but it is nice to know it would work to keep the student (and teachers) safe. 

I hope all works out well for your fingers.
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Offline EOTE

• Share Post
    • Weather at EOTE
« Reply #768 on: June 04, 2020, 11:43:36 AM »
WV Sawmiller,  This past school year (before closing due to the virus) I was a substitute teacher for a local high school.  One of the classes I subbed is the modern version of the shop class, now Construction Technology, which teaches the students the use of hand and power tools. One of the main points is always safety.  
So the topic of when and when not to wear gloves while working in the shop is covered for each and every application.  They have a Stop Saw in their shop and we have demonstrated its safety on a hot dog, but we have yet to see it work on a real finger.  And I hope that never happens, but it is nice to know it would work to keep the student (and teachers) safe.

I hope all works out well for your fingers.
I saw a video a while back where the owner of the Saw Stop company actually stuck his finger into the running saw with the stop technology.  Just a slight nick and no blood albeit he did it very slowly and not like pushing a board through.  Pretty awesome demonstration.

Offline Rodman

• WORK SMART / PLAY SAFE
    • Share Post
« Reply #769 on: June 04, 2020, 11:48:15 AM »
Wow  :o I'd say you were pretty lucky. Hoping you have a speedy recovery. So we can keep up to your daily doings. Play Safe

Offline Resonator

• Senior Member x2
  • Board Footage and Cord Woodage
    • Share Post
« Reply #770 on: June 04, 2020, 11:50:39 AM »
I was just going to mention the SawStop table saw, their demonstration uses a hot dog to simulate a finger. The website says the blade carries any electric signal, and as soon as it makes contact with the body, an aluminum brake stops the blade in 5 milliseconds, and shuts off the power to the motor. I hope everything heals up good WV.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #771 on: June 04, 2020, 03:43:08 PM »
Howard, I hate that you got your fingers tangled up in the table saw.  The table saw is the heart of the woodworking shop but it will bite even the most experienced if given the chance - it has no loyalty to its operator and may even have some contempt.  I hope your fingers heal quickly and completely.

During the dry, winter months my hands get dry, crack and sometimes bleed (especially when I used to work quite a bit with fiberglass and cleaned resin off of my hands using acetone -stoopid, I know).  The bag balm, as greasy as it is, makes my hands feel better.  I have heard some folks pee on their feet to help with the fungus.  I am not sure how appropriate that would be for the fungus on your hands but...

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #772 on: June 04, 2020, 04:47:12 PM »
Oh man!  You know I did not create this thread for you guys to outdo me.
When I saw that glove, I was surprised to see gauze in the shape of 5 normal length fingers.  Glad it was not worse.  I was told not use gloves years ago, but I used to.  Iíve not had a real injury on the TS other than hit in the gut with a small piece.  Still, 2 years ago I invested in a sawstop to prevent what seemed would be inevitable at some point.  Iím glad I bought before I became afraid of the saw.  The great thing is that itís an awesome tablesaw with 3hp.  I accidentally tested the safety system with my miter gauge and not my fingers.  The good news is that it fired just as promised.  The bad news it cost me almost $300 for a new cartridge and new dado blade set.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #773 on: June 05, 2020, 07:10:19 AM »
I have the contractor saw version of the sawstop for some reason ::)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #774 on: June 05, 2020, 07:59:56 AM »
If you want to upgrade, you can get close to new price when selling your current saw.  Sawstops are not on the resale market much.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #775 on: June 05, 2020, 10:27:51 AM »
Howard, Iíve been working on a honey-do list the last few days and didnít see this until this morning.  I hate that happened and hope you heal quickly and as completely as possible.

That glove gave me a sinking feeling and several horrible images (significantly more horrible than reality) ran through my mind. So glad it wasnít worse.

As a retired voc. ed. guy three machines worried me the most - table saws, jointers and radial saws.  Lathes werenít heavily used but were also worrisome for the danger they present.  Fortunately, the worst student injury in my shop I ever had to deal with was a cut from a utility knife that required four or five stitches.  
Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #776 on: June 05, 2020, 10:36:52 AM »
My dad was alsso a high school shop teacher and very strict about safety around power tools. He did wing himself once with the jointer fortunately not in front of the class. One faux pas I do remember was his personal radial arm saw, the brake on the motor failed. He couldn't get replacement parts so he left it off. I wasn't allowed to use the tool.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #777 on: June 05, 2020, 05:19:04 PM »

Anybody want to play Rock, Paper or Scissors?

I went to the ortho doc today and this was the result X 2 weeks when I go back and he will likely put me in a full body cast with my luck. ::) 

(Which reminds me of an old USMC family/wife friend who was looking at old family pictures and found one of her dad, a USAF pilot, in a full body cast when he was on active duty. Evidently he was in the cast for nearly a year after a flying accident. All was fine till the lady got to computing the time of the accident and recovery in the body cast then compared it to her birth date. Huummm. Seems there is a lot more you can do in a body cast than most people think. ;))

Doc today confirmed I had several fractures (Cracks?) in the index and second finger. The index finger has no stitches but will finish losing the nail soon. Next finger has 6 stitches and a nail going bye-bye. The ring finger has 5 stitches but no fractures. I think the cast and ace bandage is mostly to keep me from using and bumping the fingers. No individual splints on the fingers.

Stitches out a week from today is current plan. I don't know what the ortho doc is looking for a week after that. Time will tell.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #778 on: June 05, 2020, 06:04:00 PM »
A man, I just hate to see this. I hope you aren't hurting too much. It will be a while before anyone calls you 'lefty', I hope that is your off hand.
 That little filtch must have grabbed you more than you first indicated or knew, you got sucked in good.
 All you can do is rest up for a bit Howard. This is one of those deals where you have little choice. Either that, or a body cast, just to be safe. Be thankful they didn't do a head x-ray.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #779 on: June 05, 2020, 06:19:52 PM »
OGH,

Actually it is a little uncomfortable but really not painful to speak of. Whether it was shock or something else even the initial pain was not that bad. The ER doc had to give a couple more shots lower on the fingers when stitching but it was almost more of a big bruise than anything else. The fiberglass cast or form under my hand and the ace bandage seems like overkill but probably for the best.
Howard Green

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
i pulled a dumb-dumb...

Started by Dan_Shade on Health and Safety

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2005, 06:10:46 AM
by sawguy21
xx
looks dumb to me

Started by Den Socling on Firewood and Wood Heating

19 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 08:42:24 PM
by Corley5