The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Did something dumb today.  (Read 95736 times)

Online Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
Re: Did something dumb today.
« Reply #940 on: July 18, 2020, 11:00:55 PM »
Reminds me of when I was a boy maybe twelve years old . Dad and I went to the lake to go fishing. We hadn't been out very long and dad starting swearing (odd for him) reel it up! OK I starting reeling in the line we were trolling and I had plenty out and my lure was bouncing on top of the water as dad took off back to the boat ramp. We beached the boat and dad trotted up to the truck and found the  new boat plug on his dash. He returned with his stainless steel veterinary pump and bloat hose  and I got to take a turn at pumping the water out of the boat. I think of that every time I go out in a boat.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #941 on: July 23, 2020, 07:03:07 PM »
Well I suppose it has come back around to my turn. ;D Nothing spectacular, so save your popcorn. I had a customer over today buying pine and of course he wanted the 2x4's on the bottom under the 2x10's. We moved everything he picked his boards and made a pile and I ran up the numbers but he started to negotiate which didn't make me none too happy. The lumber was sutff I had salvaged from logs for my own use and there were several bad sections, so I figured what the heck. I had already cut 20% for the defects I saw, but he tried to get more. Anyway, we settled on a price and I asked him to help me restack and sticker the pile. He came over to grab a hand, but before he could I grabbed a 2x10x12 in the middle reaching over from the side of the pile and placed it in the center of the drying skid. That weight, with my back fully bent and fully extended, did me in. This was just a stupid move, I know better and had help right there, but I did it all by myself. I was done right there. Took me 20 minutes to close up. He left and I came in the house trying to find a comfortable position, but there was none. Laid on the floor for an hour, no good. Laid in the bed until I fell alseep for a couple of hours, still no relief. Finally called my Chiro and have an appt for tomorrow afternoon. I am walking VERY slowly with a cane and it even hurts just watching TV.
 Guess I am out of it for a few days at least.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #942 on: July 23, 2020, 07:56:58 PM »
OGH,

Sorry to hear that and hope the RD can pop everything back into place. I did a neighbor a favor the other day when he wanted ash 2X12X15 for stringers. He wanted 2X12X12 but all I had was 15 so he accepted that. He did not have a truck or trailer and less than 1/4 mile away so I agreed to deliver. I dug through my stack and got 2 nice boards and took them to him only to find he just wanted one. I guess he just needed treads but when he said stringers I automatically assumed he needed a pair and ended bringing one back. They are heavy and I was careful to just load one end at a time so I can feel for you lifting the whole weight.

My dumb move today was not up to my usual standard and really more of a near miss. I pulled my 5X8 trailer to the front yard with my little JD 750 tractor and ran it out of fuel. I had a full can in my boat house and kept meaning to stop by and get it but never got around to it even when I had the tractor right there Tuesday sawing a customer's white oak. Did you know diesel engines don't like running dry. Fortunately I was able to get mine restarted and it wasn't entirely vapor locked this time. 

I was bringing the trailer to go get my ATV out of the shop which I did so now when I want to do something dumb I can really do something up to my usual standards. ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #943 on: July 23, 2020, 09:17:32 PM »
 :D You are on a roll!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #944 on: July 23, 2020, 10:13:34 PM »
I've heard that you don't want to run a diesel dry, so I have done my best not to do it.  I'm successful so far.  I'm pretty good about not letting my truck get low.  Luckily my tractor has a pretty accurate fuel gauge. I'm afraid if that gauge ever quits working, I might run my first diesel out of fuel.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline RussMaGuss

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #945 on: July 23, 2020, 10:56:21 PM »
I have a Deere 328 and my dad has beaten it into to me to never ever ever run it out of diesel. Mine has a little manual fuel pump push button that i think is there if it ever siezes up but I sure as heck don't want to have the opportunity to use it 

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #946 on: July 24, 2020, 09:34:44 PM »
Bleed the lines and use heavy duty silicone to start one is what I do.  Some are worse than others. Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #947 on: July 25, 2020, 07:30:07 AM »
I have yet to have one of those little pumps work when needed. Usually a rag around a blower nozzle in the fill hole and a little air pressure in the tank will get it going again.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Online Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #948 on: July 25, 2020, 08:09:30 AM »
Mine: A friend and I were splitting firewood. I canít aim a maul without breaking the handle to save my life, not to mention near the splitting power that my buddy has. Anyway, Iím standing the logs vertical for him cause he hates bending and I hate feeling worthless and doing nothing. So all is going well when one of the pieces of RO decides to almost explode and I caught a good size piece right in my left shin. With a few choice words said (none to my buddy because it was my fault for wrong place, wrong time) I limped out of the way and hobbled around trying to do SOMETHING, almost anything a temporary gimp could do. Anyway, that took place a week ago. It produced a very large goosegg on said shin. After 3 days of pain and no signs of reduced swelling or pain, I go to the doctor. Well I tell doc that I have a history of staphylococcus and she sees the swelling and the pain from said encounter. She prescribes me some antibiotics and Iím about a 1/4 of the way through the course of them. The pain is getting ever so slightly better maybe the swelling also. If I donít see any better sign of improvement after the course of meds has ran ( 3 times per day for 7 days ) I AM going back to have it re-evaluated. 

After 3 days my wife agrees with my assertation (spelling) that judgement of the swelling is better, but the pain so far is only marginally better. Hopefully, waiting will be my friend. We will see how it all goes. I will try to keep everyone updated on this minor problem of mine just because it makes me feel better! 

Bye for now.
Trying harder everyday.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #949 on: July 25, 2020, 08:34:06 AM »
Misery loves company!

Hope pain goes away soon.

Online Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #950 on: July 25, 2020, 09:40:46 PM »
Misery loves company!

Hope pain goes away soon.
Me too!
Trying harder everyday.

Offline farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #951 on: July 25, 2020, 09:51:12 PM »
OGH, you need to buy one of those inversion devices, some are called a inversion table, don't see where they get the name table, used to have some boots, with hooks so you could hook them on a bar and hang upside down, but I have what is called an inversion table, any time I over do it, I go to the basement and hang upside down for 30 to 40 seconds, don't hang too long, the blood rushes to your head, not good, but hanging upside down for 30 seconds will not hurt you, and usually gets me going again.  Some times, I have to do it a few times before it is well, other times once or twice, but any time I over do it, I go hang before going to bed.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #952 on: July 26, 2020, 06:59:21 AM »
OGH, you need to buy one of those inversion devices,
Yeah I have tried those. They can give a little temporary relief, but I am way past that. Too little, way too late. My first back injury was at the age of 16 when I slid down a mountainside on my tailbone with a 50# pack on my back, finding every protruding rock along my path. Then got whacked across the back with a freestanding car hood and knocked out for 10 minutes(age 18 ), then doing an antenna job on the roof of a 4 floor building with a pitched roof and a 30MPH wind (age 21), then several more I have forgotten about, then sliding down the stairs on my tailbone which also gave me a bonus neuropathy (sp?) in my right leg I still have part of today (age 48 ), and the list goes on and on.
No thanks. I am fortunate to have a chiropractor trained and proficient in several different treatment forms. He is a genius with muscle and bone structures and has different ways to get things back to the way they are supposed to be. It is a balance between treatment and healing time. I went in Friday, and will go back Tuesday. Friday's visit reduced my pain from a 9 down to a 4 or 5. I walked in very slowly with a cane to help, and I walked out carrying that cane over my shoulder.
As we all know, there is no substitute for a good mechanic who knows what he is doing, and why. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #953 on: July 26, 2020, 07:20:21 AM »
Your back has lived a hard a life.  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #954 on: July 26, 2020, 07:54:27 AM »
I have yet to have one of those little pumps work when needed. Usually a rag around a blower nozzle in the fill hole and a little air pressure in the tank will get it going again.
I install one of these https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Transfer-Vacuum-Gasoline-Accessories/dp/B06X3R9YBN/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=fuel+squeeze+bulb&qid=1595764592&sr=8-2
on all my diesels that don't have a electric pump,  works great.   Steve
Timberking B20 15000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #955 on: July 26, 2020, 08:09:38 AM »
I second that primer bulb. My 2001 LT40 super Kubota 42 did not have one and one had to open at the fuel filter, crank the engine, then open at the engine, crank again, diesel running down when successful, etc, etc.

Learned the taste of diesel dribbling out of my mouth.  

Didnt think of the bulb until WM started offering it in a revision, so got one, big difference.  

The 55 Yanmar on the new mill has an electric fuel pump that runs when the key is turned to on, this primes it fine in about a minute.  

Still better to not run out of diesel.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #956 on: August 01, 2020, 08:58:12 PM »
Oh boy, did I ever bollock things up today.  Dumb is an understatement.  Dumb, Dumb, Dumb....

I upgraded from my 56 HP tractor to get more HP and to be able to lift more weight and this new tractor has less than 20 hours on it.  Still new and shiny.  Went with SIL to go get some nice white oak logs from a couple of trees that Hurricane David blew down about 5 miles from the sawmill on another piece of timberland that I own.  The trees were uprooted down in the low ground, and while I knew that it was risky, I decided to give it a try.  First dumb move.  I really did know that it was too wet ::).  Got the tractor on the gooseneck and hauled it over there and we cut several logs out of the first white oak.  I did manage to get the tractor to the logs and did manage to get one 8' log out.  The ground as mushy.  Made another try and got the butt log picked up, but as I was backing up, one end of the log hit a tree as the area was wet and very tight with other trees.  I thought that I could ease past and let the log slide a bit on the forks and get past.  Oh no.  All that weight of the log (it was a big log) on the front tires and the tree stopping progress caused the front tires to spin and before you knew it, they were sinking.  Should have dropped the log and went and got the winch, but oh no, decided to make one more try, then it was too late.  The front tires broke through the root mat and from there it was clear sailing to China.  Here is where I ended up when I finally decided to abandon the log. 

By now that little voice coming from my right shoulder said stop, your screwed, but that little voice on the left shoulder said give it another shot.  In the pic, you can easily see the front right tire.  I drove five miles home, got the 8000# warn winch and the 56 HP tractor that I am replacing in an attempt to winch the bigger tractor out.  Oh no.  Not gonna happen.  Just made things worse, actually very much worse, and the tractor did not move back an inch but it moved down further quite a few inches.  Here is the mess that I made.  If you look very closely, you just might be able to see the very tip top of the front right tire, then again, maybe not :).

Having to leave my new tractor down in that swamp was a sinking feeling, but I knew that I had cooked my goose.  I knew that Jake, 60 miles away, had the stuff to get me out, but I was too embarrassed and ashamed to call him.  Then I remembered that the manager of the Pecan farm a few miles away had a 135 HP JD tractor that he used to bring me a ginormous pecan log.  Being Saturday, I knew that it was fruitless to even hope and call and get him on the phone, but low and behold he answered and just happened to be over at the Pecan farm turning off the irrigation pumps (because it had rained like a banshee and was wet, DUH!).  He said that he would be over shortly, and to make a long story short, we build a log raft under the front end loader/pallet forks on my stuck tractor and pushed down with all she had and lifted the front tires up just enough to build a short log platform under them, and after several attempts with him pulling me with a chain with links about the size of your fist, we got it out.  Whew.

Dumb.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline RichTired

• Share Post
« Reply #957 on: August 01, 2020, 09:08:07 PM »
Well, did you get the logs or not... :D
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #958 on: August 01, 2020, 09:24:51 PM »
Many years ago I was logging on my land. I was on the edge of one of my wet holes. It was a hard spot to get at, with the leave trees and the angle I had to get the logs out. I kept backing into the same spot. After the fourth time I knew I was pushing my luck. I winched in the log and got on the tractor and picked up the 3 pt winch and started forward. Did not get far, the rear wheel went down, went past China!! I knew I was in a mess, a mighty mess. I dropped the log and tried to ease it forward with my foot on the pedal that locks both tires in. It came right out!! How was beyond me. I winched the log to me and found another place to back in.
Than another time I was working on the Rocky Highway to the bog. I had a logging crew in there and I was bringing some more rocks to hold up the forwarder. Somehow I got one side off on the highway, than the more I tried to get back on the more I got off. Finally as WDH did, I had to call someone. I called the guy logging that night and told him I would be waiting at the house for a ride to The Bog. Hooked a chain around one of the arms of the forwarder and out it came. I raptured one of the hyd lines under the tractor, so he towed me to the house with his truck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #959 on: August 01, 2020, 09:31:38 PM »
I only got out the one log.  I was exhausted after finally getting unstuck and did not have any more ambition as it related to recovering anything that remotely looked like a log.  The heat and humidity and the mud destroyed any further initiative  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
i pulled a dumb-dumb...

Started by Dan_Shade on Health and Safety

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2005, 06:10:46 AM
by sawguy21
xx
I'm such a Dumb---

Started by jargo432 on Firewood and Wood Heating

15 Replies
Last post March 10, 2016, 06:43:15 PM
by jargo432