The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Did something dumb today.  (Read 95735 times)

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
Re: Did something dumb today.
« Reply #1420 on: March 18, 2021, 01:01:07 PM »
At least you figured it out pretty quickly.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #1421 on: March 18, 2021, 01:02:42 PM »
still got my fingers,  took another 16th off the edge.   ;)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #1422 on: March 18, 2021, 01:09:39 PM »
At least you figured it out pretty quickly.  
:D :D :D :D
 I am thinking that he got some pretty strong clues in short order. ;D ;D
 Let he amongst us who is without sin....
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1423 on: March 18, 2021, 02:48:58 PM »
do not work distracted.  I was not "working or sawing"  but changing a blade and talking on the phone.  may have even rolled my eyes a couple times.  but it got me when I was cutting.  smoke and a board the wanted to climb up the blade.   :o   8)   :)

you can see the lingering smoke in the pics... or is that the spirit of the blade?   ;D
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #1424 on: March 18, 2021, 03:56:59 PM »
Do higher quality angle grinders inspire more confidence than say a Harbor Freight one? It is definitely one of those scary but very useful tools. My HF one has a difficult-to-turn-on switch that is also difficult to hold down/on. It makes it feel like any minute I can fudge it up and either lose my grip or toss it in a weird way. I've been hesitant to buy a higher quality one for fear that it'll be basically the same spinny nightmare. Do they make pistol grip angle grinders with a trigger? Anyone happy and confident with theirs?
all my grinders have a locking slide switch. I hate the paddle switch they are never easy to hold in odd locations.

The nicer / better grinders I have are 11,000 rpm. This makes you pay real close attention to what you buy to put on it. I learned real quick cheap cone wire brushes leave your belly full of long metal spines. Those are a huge no go. Cheap cutoff wheels I have taken to many ppl to the hospital because of. Not from my shop but from my firefighter days.

I always say this. if the tool is comfortable your going to be much better at using it. If you can never get into a comfortable position using it, you will never be great with it.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #1425 on: March 18, 2021, 04:04:57 PM »
doc thats funny. the worst thing is till I read what you wrote I thought it was a reverse rotation table saw.

I think I need to get a new job and some sleep!

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1426 on: March 18, 2021, 04:19:18 PM »
Nice job Doc. I bet she loved it 👍

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1427 on: March 18, 2021, 04:49:53 PM »
she will get it this weekend, thanks!  we plan to go to a running race in the town she teaches in.  we will surprise her with our presence and presents.  I hope she does not read this.  :o   lol  her husband retired early from Halliburton, and is the guy I went fishing with the last 4 times I went fishing.  the girls run, and the guys fish.  

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1428 on: March 19, 2021, 08:20:14 AM »
Thanks @Crusarius I just saw the paddle switch variety, looking through a catalog, yesterday, and thought that looked like a decent option, maybe not... I also saw the higher quality (name branded, at least) weren't as pricey as I thought, so maybe it's time to go shopping. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Online Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #1429 on: March 19, 2021, 09:43:19 AM »
@doc henderson  I see your friend received  a quality  education.  ;)

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #1430 on: March 19, 2021, 09:51:05 AM »
I have dewalt grinders. I love them. All of the ones I have ever tried with the paddle switch I hated. Mine all have the slide and lock switch. It takes more work to lock them on than it does to shut them off. This sometimes is a pain but after I had someone elses cheap knockoff grinder get away from me I prefer it.

With the lock switch make sure you always have a good grip on it. I had one get away from me when I was grinding the plasma cut corners of some 16 gauge stainless. The grinder jumped out of my hand took off up my arm across my chest and then down the other arm. I ended up catching it by the cord still running. Only thing that saved me was the flannel I was wearing. From that day I have been much more careful and meticulous about the grinders I buy.

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1431 on: March 19, 2021, 09:56:26 AM »
Yeah, that's real sketchy! I'll give it to the HF one I have that it's hard to turn on but it turns off pretty quickly once I release the button. Doesn't slow down that quickly but at least it's on its way if I lose control. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1432 on: March 19, 2021, 04:51:16 PM »
I.   CAN'T.    EVEN.......

OK, OK. I too have seen photos like this in the past and said to myself, 'how can a person be SO stupid?' Well, now I know. No excuses, really stupid. No, this was NOT my chosen direction of fall. I had just minutes before dropped two other trees right near the tailgate of the truck to make loading easier without issue and spot on target to make bucking and loading easier. These are small trees so not a lot to work with on the stump, the hinge was whisper thin and it wouldn't go over. This one I felled against the lean and got it over the lean point but it just wouldn't fall, then the wind picked up and took it like a kite, tore the hinge and went right into my cab. No biggie, just a tiny ding that is barely visible, but still my humility took a nose dive.
 Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1433 on: March 19, 2021, 05:03:29 PM »
Now that is a mushroom log logger right there.  be honest, you were keeping it up off the ground to avoid contamination with some poisonous variety.  you prob. just saved someone's life.  DanG, don't be so humble @Old Greenhorn    :)  I sure hope the growers you sell to appreciate the sacrifices you are willing to make.   ;)  well at least the chain was not on backwards....  right?   ;D

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #1434 on: March 19, 2021, 05:10:59 PM »
Dohhh!  Could have  been worse for sure.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1435 on: March 19, 2021, 05:11:40 PM »
I note that it took 21 minutes for the first response. Longer than I guessed. ;D No, there were no other buffoon like mistakes today, unless you count my back, but that is normal and not 'dumb related'.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1436 on: March 19, 2021, 05:13:42 PM »
Dohhh!  Could have  been worse for sure.
Yeah, I don't like working in 25 MPH+ winds, and that really was what got me, but I should have known better. I hollered like heck the entire time the tree was falling, but it didn't seem to help much. :D

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1437 on: March 19, 2021, 09:42:48 PM »
It reminds me of a customer who brought his new to him saw in because it wouldn't start. It had obviously been straight gassed, he sucked it up and paid for the rebuild. A few days later he brought it back, no power. I checked it, the saw was running fine but he didn't know to start the chain moving before starting the cut. Fast forward a few weeks. He is back with the saw in a box, biggest part was the carburetor. It seems he came upon his mates trying to drop a large Ponderosa pine, they had gone all the way around leaving a bolt in the middle. No problem, he cut through it with his longer bar. The tree took out the saw and his truck. These guys were from a community of loggers. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1438 on: March 20, 2021, 08:54:36 AM »
It reminds me of a customer who brought his new to him saw in because it wouldn't start. It had obviously been straight gassed, he sucked it up and paid for the rebuild. A few days later he brought it back, no power. I checked it, the saw was running fine but he didn't know to start the chain moving before starting the cut. Fast forward a few weeks. He is back with the saw in a box, biggest part was the carburetor. It seems he came upon his mates trying to drop a large Ponderosa pine, they had gone all the way around leaving a bolt in the middle. No problem, he cut through it with his longer bar. The tree took out the saw and his truck. These guys were from a community of loggers. ::)
These guys were from a community of loggers. ::)  
Your customer must have been the newest member, and needed to do a lot more studying.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1439 on: March 20, 2021, 09:31:48 AM »
I don't want to sound judgmental, but if I ever did stuff like that I would not show my face ever again. We all learn and make mistakes, but geez!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
i pulled a dumb-dumb...

Started by Dan_Shade on Health and Safety

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2005, 06:10:46 AM
by sawguy21
xx
looks dumb to me

Started by Den Socling on Firewood and Wood Heating

19 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 08:42:24 PM
by Corley5