The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Did something dumb today.  (Read 95350 times)

DesertHobo and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Did something dumb today.
« Reply #1440 on: March 20, 2021, 11:26:05 AM »
 :D I thought all of them came out of the womb with a saw in their hands but apparently not. At least he was able to laugh at himself.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #1441 on: March 20, 2021, 11:29:26 AM »
........ At least he was able to laugh at himself.:D
If he couldn't, he would be alone.
 We all do dumb stuff, but that fella seems to have a streak going. Perhaps not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #1442 on: March 20, 2021, 05:55:38 PM »
As you already know OGH, I wrote the book on “Dumb” and published it like 2 weeks ago exactly, almost to the minute. I have recovered quite well.  However, on my next edition, OGH, you can have a chapter yourself.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1443 on: March 20, 2021, 06:05:23 PM »
OH, that's not good. Glad to hear you are coming along since your book. I hope I can manage to not reach quite that level.
 We all have those moments and no matter how hard we try, occasionally we just mis-think something. In fact, now that I recall, when I was an active fire instructor, I did a session on "non-thinking syndrome: NTS, the silent killer" which illuminated a bunch )with photos and videos) of serious incidents resulting from a simple brain cramp anybody could have had, it just happened at the wrong moment in time.
 Nobody is immune.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Offline Silverfoxfintry

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1444 on: March 21, 2021, 04:57:19 AM »
Wow, how could a wheel not be rated for high speed.
Don, you would be surprised.. Before I retired a part of my job (do it is your spare time..) was as the Machine Guarding Single Point of Accountability (SPA) (that is corporate speak for 'the guy we blame'). One of our plants had a wheel explosion and found it was an incorrect RPM rating so I have to go around our shop to every buffer, bench grinder, surface grinder, cylindrical grinder, thread grinder, ID grinder, and more to put labels on each one with it's spindle speed, then re-write all the wheel change procedures to include bold type about confirming the wheel speed rating before changing the wheel. (There were somewhere around 90 machines involved.)
 As a result, we started to learn a lot of wheels we used routinely did not match or exceed the various machine speeds. We caught and fixed these as we discovered them. I got hammered in an audit later on because they had added two buffer/grinders without telling me and they had no labels. ;D I should have been shot on the spot, according to the auditor. SHAME! (Dang pencil pushers.)
 In all my years studying safety issues with wheels and such, the grinding wheels and discs are bad but wire wheels are the worst. Strands come out and find the dangdist places to lodge, like eyeballs, legs, arms, faces, etc. I have had a very healthy respect for all of these bonded wheels since I was about 19 and had a 2" wide x 20" diameter cylindrical grinding wheel explode on me. Part went through the wall behind me, part went through the built up steel roof, and the rest we never found. Once was enough for me. We did have a guy in that shop that would blow up at least one wheel a week, even diamond wheels (which you have to work hard to do), but he drank a lot. :D
One of the Oil Rigs in the North Sea I used to visit had a brand new 10” bench grinder. VERY LARGE SIGN ATTACHED “ DO NOT USE” Also the connecting plug removed. Some idiot had specified that it was fitted with a “Quick Stop” The first time it was used the Left hand Grindstone unscrewed and shattered inside the guard. Sometimes health and safety can go too far.

Offline lazyflee

• Full Member x2
  • \m/
    • Share Post
« Reply #1445 on: March 21, 2021, 01:37:11 PM »

The world slowed down as I just watched this sucker roll right off the other side. Rookie!!

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1446 on: March 21, 2021, 02:55:22 PM »
So THAT'S what those stop thingees are for. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #1447 on: March 21, 2021, 03:01:01 PM »
Don’t worry you can do that with some experience too.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1448 on: March 21, 2021, 04:45:49 PM »
OGH I hate to admit it but I did that to my Little John Deer also. Even had a rope tied from it to the tree so the tree would fall in that direction :-[. Found out ROPs are good protection from falling trees when you misjudge the height.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #1449 on: March 21, 2021, 09:57:49 PM »
 @lazyflee do you mean to tell me that power feed doesn't stop that from happening?  What good is it then?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline lazyflee

• Full Member x2
  • \m/
    • Share Post
« Reply #1450 on: March 21, 2021, 10:31:39 PM »
The manual clearly states EDITED BY ADMIN Will be calling Woodmizer tomorrow

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #1451 on: March 21, 2021, 10:35:35 PM »
   Boy am I glad I've never done anything like that! ::)

I was sawing Saturday and forgot to lower my claw but my debarker found it before the blade. Then I did the same thing on the very next log and knocked some paint off the claw and ruined that blade. Duh! ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1452 on: April 01, 2021, 06:30:48 PM »
  Wow, nearly 10 days without anybody admitting to doing something dumb only to find the last post was me anyway. ::) I had a customer call and wanted a couple of rough 2X12's about 14' long as sideboards to a new dump trailer and as luck would have it I had a couple of 15' ash 2X12's so I slid them off on the short forks of my FEL and took them out to the front lot. He'd mentioned trimming them to the exact length so I brought a square and my 15 amp Porter Cable 7-1/4" circle saw. I set the saw on my tool box between the tractor and FEL arms. When I got to the lot I lowered the boards on the FEL and caught the handle of the saw between the FEL arms and broke the pot metal on the handle. It still works but is not long for this world. Then when the customer arrived I had to take a belt sander to the ends of one of the boards to try to trim it to fit and used up a couple of belts just trying to do that. I just checked and see the saws like mine ranged in price from $54-$150. Pretty amazing to see that much difference. Anyway it looks like the $60 for the 2 boards will likely go to TSC for a replacement saw on my next trip to town. Like the guy buying gum for 25 cents a pack of 5 and selling it for a nickel a stick. He got a lot of business but didn't make a lot of money.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1453 on: April 01, 2021, 07:18:29 PM »
I saw that you had made a post here and my heart sank. But was very glad to see it was only a tool. That's a bummer, but a LOT cheaper than an ER visit. Besides, everyone needs a new saw once in a while. ;D

Online Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #1454 on: April 01, 2021, 09:51:41 PM »
My turn.....I forgot to close the latches on my quick attach bale fork.... no animals were injured during the loading of the bale. I was fortunate. Got distracted by a phone call....  ::)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #1455 on: April 01, 2021, 10:19:42 PM »
I remember doing something dumb the other day, so I hope that makes you feel better... but now I do not remember what it was, so sorry.  I am sure it was not that dumb...!!!  :) :) :) :D :D :D 8) 8) 8)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Online Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #1456 on: April 01, 2021, 10:27:44 PM »
Gee thanks..... ::) ::) ::)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #1457 on: April 01, 2021, 10:35:29 PM »
yeah, I meant relative to me, not you !  not as dumb as usual for me!   :'( :-[ :o ;) :)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Share Post
« Reply #1458 on: April 02, 2021, 09:09:30 AM »
Would not be the end of the week if I had not done some thing dumb.  But, no blood, no harm.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1459 on: April 02, 2021, 09:22:36 AM »
   I agree - there are degrees of dumbness. :D
Howard Green

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
i pulled a dumb-dumb...

Started by Dan_Shade on Health and Safety

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2005, 06:10:46 AM
by sawguy21
xx
How dumb can I be? VERY!

Started by tmbrcruiser on Sawmills and Milling

27 Replies
Last post April 14, 2017, 09:22:37 PM
by Magicman