iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM wide heads

Started by KWood255, February 03, 2024, 09:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWood255

Quote from: jpassardi on February 09, 2024, 07:03:07 AMSame here: my gasifier will take 30" but I went from cutting 24 to 18 for ease of handling. I don't really need the xtra capacity anyway.

Back on subject: definitely go wide, if nothing else you don't have to fight the guides past logs with carbunkles (intended misspelling smiley_smug01 ) and flares on them.
I'd love to see the details on your gasifier! That's a projects for another day. 

Sixacresand

I assume the wide mill owners don't have wave problems while milling width capacity boards.  I have not read of any problems.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

farmfromkansas

Do you need to use wider and thicker blade on a wide head?
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Magicman

The wider apart your blade guides are the more susceptible your blade is to produce a wave when encountering knots, twisted grain, etc. same as with a non-wide.

Proper blade guide alignment, blade selection, sharp & properly set blades, proper drive belt tension, and sawing speed control are all paramount to reduce the possibility of wave problems, again, same as with a non-wide.  :thumbsup:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

It's real easy to saw too fast and make waves with a wide model when cutting wide cuts.  Once a sawyer gets used to slowing down a bit, flat cuts return. Don't ask how I know...  smiley_headscratch

It is better to run wider thicker blades generally.  I'm running 1.5" .045 thick blades and get better results than with 1.25" blades. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Crossroads

No regrets on getting the wide head. At the time it was only an $800 upgrade and worth every penny. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Thank You Sponsors!