iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM wide heads

Started by KWood255, February 03, 2024, 09:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWood255

I see on both the Canadian and US WM sites that the standard width heads on the 40, 50 and 70 are not an option. I have a 70 on order with the standard width head. It's so seldom that I come across logs so large that they won't fit on my standard 40, so I figured there's no need for the added expense and blade costs for the wide. 

I spoke with my dealer yesterday, who confirmed that WM is only offering wide head options currently. I do not know why, but presumably they are selling many more wide head options these days. 

Magicman

I may also seldom encounter large logs but seldom is often enough for me to wish for a W I D E. 

The standard offering is not surprising.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

With the LT35 I refused enough logs or struggled with 36+" logs that the wide head has been worth it on the LT50.  Even if the wide isn't needed but 10% of the time, that's enough to justify the initial and ongoing expense (longer blades). 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

barbender

I'd expect you'll get longer sharp life out of the longer blades, as there are more teeth doing the work. So there would be a benefit there too.
Too many irons in the fire

GAB

The wide head option might be an asset when trying to sell it.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

KWood255

Certainly all very valid points. Thanks fellas. Future blade availability is also a factor for me. While I doubt there will be any issue in sourcing bands for the time being, there will definitely be plenty available for the wide head in years to come. 

I am debating upgrading to the wide, especially if my order hasn't been started. 

OlJarhead

After watching @Crossroads wide head several times I have to admit I wish I had one.  Even though it isn't that often I'd need it, I KNOW now I'd love it if I did have one ;)

I'm sure WM just went with them as standard is it really makes sense (to me).  Wider is better :)

Though, maybe not the debarker but otherwise it's better IMO
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

John S

I had a regular width 40 and have had a Wide for 6 years, would not go back.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

YellowHammer

Yes, wide has a couple issues, but certainly, I would not go back to any non wide. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Resonator

Just be aware if you buy a wide head mill to get into the wide slab business, all the loading equipment also has to be able to handle the monster logs involved. As well as lifting those slabs each step of the process. (HEAVY). :uhoh2:
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

fluidpowerpro

Having the extra width would make sawing even smaller logs easier because your not pushing the limits. When you approach max capacity you have to be much more conscious of log positioning, any bow and horns, etc. Not having to deal with those things as often would be nice.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

DocGP

Just my opinion, I would not let the blade availability sway my opinion either way.  As long as you can get blades, you will be able to get the 158" blades.  I went with the 50 wide when I upgraded (as you said, I don't think there was any other option), and am very pleased with it, but "regular" blades will be no problem.  Way too many saws running them.

Doc
Ole Country Vet
LT 50 HDD
MX 5100 for the grunt work
Stihl MS 261 C-M

barbender

There was a guy on FB that had a fab shop, he made a wide head out of his WM (before WM started offering the option, I think). What I liked about his was he made it almost like a reciever hitch. Pull a pin, and extend the head. Then with a longer blade, you could saw wide. If you had a lot of normal sawing to do, pull the pin and retract the head, and you could run 158" blades again. It was pretty slick. He got so many requests, he sold his mill and started offering the mod in his shop. He was too busy to saw😂
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

The only thing that I dislike about the W I D E head is that I don't and will not ever have one.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

We recently purchased an lt-30 with the intention of widening it to run standard lt-70 bands.  After a bit of contemplation, we decided it would be a challenge for it to saw 39" between the guides with the 25hp Kohler.  We sold it.  If we can find a diesel powered or a bigger gas-powered mill for a good price, it will get widened.  For our day-to-day sawing, I like our 47 hp Yanmar and standard width.  We could frequently use a bigger gap between the guides, but we make it work.  
Caveman

Magicman

I haven't needed a wider head since today.   :uhoh:

KWood255

Thanks guys. Here in NW Ontario there are very few logs that would require the wide, but they do exist from time to time. With all of the valued input from you, I think I will request the upgrade to the Super 70 wide. I guess at this point, what's another $1500 for the option. At least I could never wish for it later. 

thecfarm

If you don't need it, then don't use it.
But if you need, use it.  ;)
I bought a mill that will cut 20 foot logs.
After I started sawing I realized with a 16 foot log I have 4 feet to spare instead of inches.
A nice upgrade that did cost more, but worth it.
I bought a OWB that takes a 54 inch stick. I thought I was going to heat a green house and a garage. Garage might still happen but no greenhouse.
Now if a stick of wood has a knob on it, so what. I have plenty of room. No need to fill the firewood full.
Go big!!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

My first OWB took a 36" stick and was a down draft style of burn box.  Early on I had a good fire going and began to toss in some bigger wood, one of those 36" sticks got stuck half way in and half out, well I could not manage to pry the stick loose to get it to fall into place and the red hot fire began to turn that stick into a roman candle shooting right back at me!!  Had to pull it back out and toss it into the snow.  After that I went back to smaller pieces!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

I learned quick that a long stick of wood is a bother unless it was 4 inches and under. 
Like the first time I filled it.  :P
All my big wood is cut into nothing longer then 2 feet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawyerTed

My back and my splitter tell me 16"-20" is ideal for my stove even though the stove takes 36" firewood.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Wingding

barbender... I seen that Video on the Gentleman that turned his woodmizer into a optional wide head and regular.... Absolutely Genius!  What I thought what made it so good was fabricating those metal tubular channels to fit inside the woodmizer framework... That is absolutely as solid as it gets....and what makes it even better he can slide back down to regular  and use the regular blades.... To me ..thats top of the line enginneering! I really appreciated that Video!
There You Go Man-Keep as Cool as you Can-Face Piles of Trials  with Smiles- It riles them to believe you preceive the web they weave-Keep on thinking Free...

Old Greenhorn

Jim's post reminded me of my Friend Bill's OWB that was just replaced. It was a top loader that took 5' sticks and the firebox was 5.5 x 3.5' by about 4' deep. At the end of each sawing session I would bring up a forkload of slabs and dump them in so that Bill didn't have to do it after he got home. Had to be very careful to not overload it by having too much slide off the forks into the box, otherwise you had to climb up on top with all those flames coming up at you as you tried to yank stuff back out and flip it on the ground. Bad enough without bunker gear, but worse in the summer when one might have shorts on.
If you dropped a 18" x 5' log chunk in it and got it wrong it was a bear to 'fix it'.
He replaced that boiler last fall with a smaller, more efficient, front loader. He started out by telling me to cut 40" logs, then changed it after a week (and a few 'issues') to 36". Last I heard 24-36" is just fine with him. :)
Now tell me again, why are we talking about woodburners on this thread? What happened to food, ...or chickens?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

jpassardi

Same here: my gasifier will take 30" but I went from cutting 24 to 18 for ease of handling. I don't really need the xtra capacity anyway.

Back on subject: definitely go wide, if nothing else you don't have to fight the guides past logs with carbunkles (intended misspelling smiley_smug01 ) and flares on them.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Thank You Sponsors!