iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone using carbide bandsaw blades

Started by tapeavy, April 08, 2019, 08:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tapeavy

I have a Enercraft/Baker 30htl with a 35 hp kubota diesel - running 24" wheels. We are resawing pipeline mat timbers. Power washing them but they are very hard dried oak and we are eating blades.

Are any of you guys running anything like a Lennox tri metal blade? If so, any problems? Concerned about blade breakage etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thx

Southside

I do run carbides on my re-saw and have some for my 70, but no way on Earth I would use them in the application you are asking about.  With that hardness comes brittleness and you would be destroying them with all the embedded stone.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tapeavy

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

The best use for old mats is the burn pile, I'm afraid. There's no blade that can stand up to imbedded rocks that you'll always find in them.
Too many irons in the fire

Bruno of NH

You could try a timber wolf bi  metal band
I have some for reclaimed lumber.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Woodpecker52

I would just clean up the timbers and sell them as oak beams.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

tapeavy

Thanks for the advice and info guys.

We sell most of them as rustic beams and don't have any rocks in them. (mud is a different issue though)

Appreciate your replies and again thx.

Woodpecker52

If it was me I would use the cheapest blades I could find.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Stephen1

Your profile doesn't list your location. I have done those, almost impossible with the embedded dirt and stone, if they are frozen it is even worse. Let them thaw, then use the cheapest blade you can, if you have a sharpener, start sharpening on the cheapest blade you can find.
I made money doing them for a guy but we were only skinning them so he could build a TF garage. I would go thru 20 blades in a day but the man paid.  8)
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!