The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Detroit 3-53 Camshaft / Balance Shaft Gear Question  (Read 430 times)

Offline JBMac76

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Detroit 3-53 Camshaft / Balance Shaft Gear Question
« on: September 11, 2021, 08:50:44 PM »
Good Evening. Need a little advice on the counterweights on the balancer / cam gears. I was planning to do an in-frame on the my Franklin 132. Once I got the pistons and rods out of the way, I could see stress cracks on all the crankshaft journals. I had a military refurbished Game Goat 3-53, so I started the process of swapping everything from the old engine onto the Game core. 

The original engine had the hydraulic pump driven off of the camshaft gear at the rear of the engine. Nothing was driven off the balance shaft gear, but there was a healthy pile of nut-locking plates, spacers, and a spare drive plate for a hydraulic pump bolted to the gear. I weighed all the plates, spacers and drives from each side, and they are almost exactly the same weight. I Understand what the counter weights do, but is the stack of "stuff" on the balancer shaft necessary? It doesn't seem that it would affect balance?

Offline bushmechanic

• Senior Member x2
  • Someone else has it worse than you.
    • Share Post
Re: Detroit 3-53 Camshaft / Balance Shaft Gear Question
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 08:04:34 AM »
It's a rotating part, weight needs to be the same or you will get vibrations that will damage the engine. If it was me I'd be using the Gama engine parts to rebuild the origional. Those surplus engines are made with an aluminum block and don't stand up well in forestry applications.  

Offline JBMac76

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 01:24:09 PM »
In retrospect, that wouldíve definitely been the smart move-but Iíve never been accused of being smart! I think I was just tired of looking at that Gammagard engine sitting in the corner of the barn for the past 20 years! Switching out the end plate, all the gears to put the blower on the side that I wanted it, sourcing specialty gaskets for the oil pan and sleeves that go inside the water rings for the head has been quite the undertaking. Iíve got a friend with two complete 353s sitting in a junkyard, hopefully one of them has a good crank and gear train in it, and Iíll put the original one back together and have it as a spare when the Gama engine craps out.

Offline Logger RK

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 10:24:34 PM »
For the oil pan gasket,I just bought 2 of them & cut both & added  the longer piece on. I believe they have a 71 series oil pump which makes it a longer one. Iím on my 2nd Gama in my Hahn in 25 years. Iív gotten many hours out of them.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
John Deere 4239 camshaft gear

Started by duckslayingpro on Forestry and Logging

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2011, 10:23:53 PM
by UN Hooker
xx
D37e-2 bevel gear shaft

Started by Jkauffman on Forestry and Logging

6 Replies
Last post October 14, 2021, 12:33:09 AM
by Gary_C