iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

You're supposed to wear pants under the chaps, Tom.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Well I assumed you were. :-[ Not everybody does. :D 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

tmarch

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on September 12, 2021, 09:38:09 PM
You're supposed to wear pants under the chaps, Tom.
Dang, when I first read that I that it said panties.  Oh well not much of a story I guess.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Southside

Not that there is anything wrong with that.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Iwawoodwork

When we were in Sturgis ,1997 motorcycle rally, there was a gal wearing a pair of chaps, white leather, with nothing covering the cheeks , does that count.

firefighter ontheside

Only if they were white chainsaw chaps.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

I think if you wear panties, you are not supposed to let them get in a bunch! :)  What say you @Southside  8)   :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Crusarius

I did end up milling 4 logs after the chainsaw event so thats more than I have milled all year. Now I have enough I should be able to make some doors for my lumber storage leanto.

doc henderson

gettin back on that horse.  glad all is well!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Crusarius

yea, I keep having to evict a mouse from the engine. Hopefully the trap I set got him. I should go look at that.

Can't get the smell from the nest on the hot engine out of my nose.

HemlockKing

Fish cab might help with that mouse lol 
A1

doc henderson

I got another one yesterday.  i should have been saving the hides and the meat.   :) :) :) :new_year:

firefighter ontheside

Man I love my powerfeed, but it can lead to problems of its own.  I was milling cedar for a friend and a little limb stopped the head, because I hadn't slid the guide out of the way.  I stepped up and stopped the mill.  As soon as I put the slightest bit of backward pull on the head the blade jumped off.  I didn't use the reverse of the power feed, but I just pulled back a little and bam.  My buddy was so impressed until then.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

I don't know how the PF works on a 15 and of course there is no comparison to the 50 because they are built different but like you I am enjoying that PF a LOT over my manual mill. However, on the 50 even though you have full speed control going forward, there is only STOP, or Full Throttle coming back. When you break a blade in the cut or have some other issue where you need to back up it is problematic to get it to just slowly move back a little. Also, if you run out of the cut at the far end and don't come up quite enough before you hit the reverse, you have no time to correct and the blade generally reminds you what you did wrong. It happens in a millisecond. Machines are not forgiving in any way. No mercy for us that are weak of mind or slow of hand. ;D :D :)
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

KenMac

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on September 14, 2021, 06:19:41 PM
I don't know how the PF works on a 15 and of course there is no comparison to the 50 because they are built different but like you I am enjoying that PF a LOT over my manual mill. However, on the 50 even though you have full speed control going forward, there is only STOP, or Full Throttle coming back. When you break a blade in the cut or have some other issue where you need to back up it is problematic to get it to just slowly move back a little. Also, if you run out of the cut at the far end and don't come up quite enough before you hit the reverse, you have no time to correct and the blade generally reminds you what you did wrong. It happens in a millisecond. Machines are not forgiving in any way. No mercy for us that are weak of mind or slow of hand. ;D :D :)
AMEN to the last sentence! Cook's saws also return at full speed and is good for maximum production, but it does make things difficult at times.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

GAB

W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Old Greenhorn

Actually no I am not, because every time something like that happens I am too busy saying "OH SH....t!!" and I don't look at the stop watch. ;D

Nebraska

So I've been out in the bush a few days. I took a trip out to SW Colorado. With my oldest son, we drove my wife's truck. It's a fairly low milage 2018 4wd half ton chevy.   My truck has my work box in it..  I had planned  on replacing the tires, oh about November...They were getting kind of tired, but good enough til snow time right.(yes son of a long line of Swedes "there's still good in that...).. I thought about it a bit  before I left on the trip, but logistically with the call and work schedule (and packing) i didn't squeeze it  in...( My back country stuff hadn't  been out since 2013)   We had six kids going through  high school for a stretch there  and no time for extra trips.
So the point is I managed 3 flat tires in a four day stretch.  Thank you to American auto repair and tire shop in Motrose Colorado.  They fixed two, I had another flat after driving across my father's newly mowed bailed CRP field, to get an idea of how many bales were out there. That was yesterday  on my way back home.  At least I was where I grew up and had a friend close by with all the stuff to get me going again 🙄. Did I drive any roads much worse than the one in front of my house, nope. Have I ever had an issue driving across that field before, again nope.  Should I have taken the time 10 days ago or so to round up new tires and replace the soft (insert favorite  derogatory term here) original equipment highway tires on the truck before I left... Yes ....again I did something  dumb....but I had a good time  minus the tire repairing.

doc henderson

Well part of the bonus for going off grid/in the bush is learning (re-learning) how to overcome and trouble shoot.  sounds like you did well.  On a trip back from summer camp a few years back, we had a blow out on I70 still in Co.  On the right, so the boys got to change the tire and put on the spare.  the second failure was near Ellsworth, Ks, almost to Salina highway 81, but only lost the tread.  first stop was an old station that is not more of a quick shop.  the older owner prob. in his 70s, took me out to a container with piles of tires.  he quoted me 100 bucks for an odd sized bias tire prob. at least half his age.  no thanks.  we drove into town (on steel belting) and left the trailer at a friends house,  went back with another spare.  found redneck trailer had tires on clearance mounted to a wheel already.  four new tires and wheel.  It was hot, but not loaded that heavy.  so tires were old and weak.  ready to roll.

Ljohnsaw

Reminds me of when I picked up my new-to-me boat - 1961 18' StarCraft.  The owner was an auto shop teacher the he had the kids make a custom trailer.  Tandem axle with two extra tires up front for beach/surf launching.  Made from Corvair hubs and tires.  So these tires were probably 15 years old.  Took all surface streets home (20 miles) and kept it below 30 or so.  Then the last hill about 2 miles from my place I got going too fast.  Peeled two of the tires and made it home on bias ply cord!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

sawguy21

Yeah, I have been guilty of running tires past their best before date and paid for it ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

firefighter ontheside

Sounds like you were having bad luck with nails or other tire puncturing metal.  Maybe if you had put new tires on, you would have been having new tires patched.  I just told my wife yesterday that I was going to put new tires on my truck before the snow flies.  I'm quite sure I will be OK since the tires are only about 2 years old.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

aigheadish

Not really dumb, other than poor luck... My wife (at the time) and kids and I went to Hilton Head, South Carolina for a big, extended family vacation. Our cars weren't up to it so we rented a car. The kids were little, probably 1 and 3, or so, so we had all the stuff that that entails, a little fold-up play yard, diaper bags, all our luggage, etc. 

On the way down, out in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night (so I could drive while the kids slept) I feel my back driver's side tire go down. I pull off to the side of the highway, unload the entire trunk to get to the spare, change the tire (next to 70mph traffic whizzing right past my butt), and go to replace the flat in the trunk, to find it doesn't fit. Welp, into the passenger seat it goes, with my wife. We get to our destination I scrape enough money together to buy a new tire and all is good... Until... 

On the way home, out in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night (so I could drive while the kids slept) I feel my back driver's side tire go down. I pull off to the side of the highway, unload the entire trunk to get to the spare, change the tire (next to 70mph traffic whizzing right past my butt), and go to replace the flat in the trunk, to find it doesn't fit. Welp, into the passenger seat it goes, with my wife. There was probably about 8 hours of the drive left. I don't think I paid for another tire that time, just took it back to the rental place. 

Oh! I guess I did do something dumb related to tires recently! My wife came home a couple days ago and said she's got a screw sticking in her tire. We look and sure enough there it is but it can be plugged, and I just happen to have a plug kit available. She's got an suv that is too tall for my nicer jack, so I use the miserable one that came with the car. Everything goes fine as I pull the tire off and roll it into the garage to plug it when, upon pulling the screw out, I find that it's only in the thick part of the tread about an eighth of an inch and isn't really creating a hole that leaks. Whoops. Next time I think I'll remember to try pulling the stuck item first, dummy.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

sawguy21

I'm feeling a little foolish. I have been cussing my desk top for about a week, I would get a drop down every time I clicked which wouldn't allow me to go further. If I clicked to close it the page would disappear, GRRRR! Today I noticed the mouse was looking a little grungy, the gap between the paddles was full of dust and probably toast crumbs among other things so I plugged in a spare I found in the  drawer. VOILA!!! I'll be DanGed ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Nebraska

Ordered the tires this am. No ten plies tires  to be had.  The new  tires will be  on tomorrow. Dropped the truck off in town and then watched the second half of a JV football game.   I hate it when a mouse gets into my toast. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!