Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

If you got it back together then it is a wash!   :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

TroyC

Nope, never had one of those recoil springs jump out at me. :) Guess I was born with intrinsic knowledge about recoil springs. :D If you believe this.......

doc henderson

another tough one is if you take the side cover off a Huski, and the brake gets out of sync.  it is a two-man job to twist it back so the brake will fit over the clutch.  strong spring, and just about in, the whole set fly out in your face.  My buddy did this at my house. took a while and an assortment of tools.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Resonator

Last time this happened I ended up buying a "new" (used) starter cover assembly and just replacing it. I tried to get the spring coiled back in, and watched a couple you tube videos that claim to do it in 5 minutes. :D :D :D
After a couple hours... smiley_furious
I'm shopping for another cover. :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Patrick NC

2nd day with toe boards.  🤨 I guess I've made my first 10' pine wedge. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

terrifictimbersllc

You didn't buy toe boards just to get into this thread did you? :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Patrick NC

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on May 08, 2022, 01:37:52 PM
You didn't buy toe boards just to get into this thread did you? :D
Wasn't the intention,  but it sure got me here quick!😁
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

firefighter ontheside

We attended funeral visitation and flew our big American Flag from the aerial for one of our past members and board member.  I washed my class A uniform shirt so it would be nice anc clead.  Of course I had to remove all of my insignia and name tag and badge.  I put it all back on to get ready to go.  One of my captains tells me my collar brass is on upside down.  I was like what do you mean upside down.  I went to look in the mirror and this is what I found.  Oops.  Luckily he noticed it before we left for the funeral home.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

Is that "First Major, Master Petty Officer, Lt Corporal" brass?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

:D Flip your collar up you'd be OK.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Old Greenhorn

Well Bill, it's much better that a Captain told you rather than a probie. :D :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WDH

I hate being upside down :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Old Greenhorn

BTW, thanks for triggering a whole flood of White Helmet Jokes through my head as I tried to wake up this morning. It's been quite a while. :)
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

aigheadish

I'll blame myself and the bees! 

We have about 10 hives kept by a coworker's son in the back field, they are in the top left corner of the picture below (you can kind of see a white row of hives), and this is last year's track. I also use that back field as a gokart track and 'tis the season to get a course mowed out. I went out yesterday and start a my first couple passes, just doing a big oval around the long and narrow field. When I get close to the hives I turn out maybe 50-80 feet from the hives. I made two passes out that way and on my third and furthest pass I see, out of the corner of my eye, a bee fly right up to my right temple and stab the crap out of me. Ouch! Then another, and another. I start panicking a bit as I know they'll leave their pheromones (sp?) to tell others to attack. I grab my hat and start waiving it around my head to hopefully knock some bees away as I stomp on the gas to get out. I think another 2 or so got me before I was far away enough that they'd stopped. I continued mowing until my mower deck belt broke, and as my face was hurting I was ok heading in for a bit of Vitamin V (vodka!) and my lovely wife wiped some goo on my head and gave me a benedryl. Not too much swelling today but that chunk of my face is a little numb and when shaking my head I'm dizzy a bit faster than normal. 

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Old Greenhorn

Next time make a paste with MSG (Accent) and spread it on. You'll back back to work in 5.

firefighter ontheside

Well, my real rank is Battalion Chief, but you certainly couldn't tell by looking at my collar.
I should have thought of just lifting my collar and heading out.  The Fire Chief would have liked that.  Not.
White helmet jokes?  Who would ever tell white helmet jokes?  
I tried to fix it by looking in the mirror.  That was impossible, so I had to have the captain who noticed it fix it for me.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

Aig, sounds like next year you need to turn about 100 feet from the bees.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on May 09, 2022, 04:26:52 PM...
White helmet jokes?  Who would ever tell white helmet jokes?  
I tried to fix it by looking in the mirror.  That was impossible, so I had to have the captain who noticed it fix it for me.
Just about anybody who doesn't wear a white helmet. :D Don't get me started.
 Yeah, I could never does the collar brass and nameplates etc while I was wearing the shirt. Even laying flat on the bed I would have to take a couple stabs to get it right. 3 or 4 trumpets for a BC in your Department? I know there's a photo here somewhere in your dress blues.

firefighter ontheside

BC is two crossed trumpets.  Captain is two parallel trumpets.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Wow, that would confuse me. I am used to 1 for LT, 2 for Capt (either way, I think mine were crossed, I'd have to check), 3 for Ast Chief, 4 for Chief, 5 for BC. All officers wore white shirts above LT, and anyone above Capt had a white helmet so we could see them coming. ;D

doc henderson

aigheadish

FFOTS- You are probably right. Either 100 feet away or not in the heat of the midafternoon. I can wait until dusk when they all come home and likely be ok. It's amazing how minor swelling can be on your face and it seems like a lot!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

doc henderson

when my brother did road construction, he gave me a shite (white) hard hat.  I would go to visit him on a job, and all the road workers just waved, no one stopped me to ask who I was and where I thought I was going.  they thought I might be one of the bosses.  

Thank You Sponsors!