iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing project 2019

Started by customsawyer, February 03, 2019, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney67

Looks good Mossey.  smiley_hellow_im_here

Great people, great food, great event. Big thanks to Jake and all that contributed.  smiley_beertoast
EZ Boardwalk 40 Mahindra 5570

doc henderson

Home safe and sound, wife picked me up at 4:30 pm at airport and we went to dinner and now home and back on the computer.  My wife said, "didn't you just see those people."  great time and hope to see everyone and more next year.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

YellowHammer

Mossy, I'd say you got it figured out.  That looks great!  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Lawg Dawg

I got home and figured out...I need MORE LOGS! So in the woods I go!

Made a MESS  :D 36" on the old 394
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

doc henderson

Quote from: Resonator on April 07, 2019, 01:46:32 PM
Whats the story behind that photo in reply #405 of Dr. Gene, Fearless Leader, and Jake?
Jeff presented a plaque to Jake and to Gene, as a thank you from the forum, signed by all attendees.  Made of walnut and engraved with Jake's logo on his, and Many of Gene's past accomplishments on his.  @Resonator 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

And with all due credit for said plaques along with the awesome laser engraved coasters we all received, courtesy of the humble "Fire bug" Doc Henderson. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tule peak timber

Southern hospitality together with a  tremendous knowledge base powered by the nicest folks you will ever meet. Thanks for having me. Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Resonator

Thanks for the info, that looked like an important presentation, (especially with plaques made of highly valuable Black Walnut)!  
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

flatrock58

Had another great couple of days in Rentz, Ga.  It is pretty cool when sawyers from as far west as California, as far north as Canada come down to a little town in Georgia to meet up and learn about kilns and quartersawing.

I always come away from the weekend a little lot fatter and with a  lot more knowledge than I came with.  Thanks Jake for another well planned sawing project.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

doc henderson

Thanks SS, I am sorry but I forgot to take close up pics of the plaques

123maxbars

Drone shot from Saturday morning

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

tule peak timber

Georgia hospitality,,,,new friends.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Cedarman

Got home yesterday afternoon.  Great people, great food, great music, some good drinks (had something with lemon in a small cup that went down great!!!), lots of good info and a 2 sided planer that was sweeeeet.  I don't think anyone can now look at a big sycamore without imagining all that quartersawn beauty.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Jeff

Quote from: Resonator on April 07, 2019, 01:46:32 PM
Whats the story behind that photo in reply #405 of Dr. Gene, Fearless Leader, and Jake?
I'm pretty sure there were come better pictures taken of that presentation, but I don;t know by who. Those were great plaques!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

trapper

I would like names added to all the pictures 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

doc henderson

I took 5 or 6 but the plaques were oriented toward the recipient as it should be so I mostly got the back signatures.  I would guess that Dr. Wengert and Captain Scooter Jake would be willing to take pic and post them.  I usually take a pic before but failed this time.  We can add names to the pics.

WDH

Thanks Doc H for the plaques and coasters.
Thanks Doc Gene for the anchorseal, the moisture meters, and the Dehumidification Kiln Drying Class.
Thanks to Stan from Nyle for great kilns and technical expertise.
Thanks to Mossy Chariot (Tony) for the Class handouts.
Thanks Derek (Sawman815) and Kasco for your blades and support.
Thanks Jeff for creating such an awesome Forum that is the reason that we found each other and came together for an event like this.  
Thanks E-Tex for those beautiful saw blade cut outs.
Thanks Julio for that Chicken that is the Best. Thanks Julio for that Chicken.  Thanks Julio!!
Thank you Larry Hutchens for the music.
Thanks everyone who brought supplies, food and drinks and to Tammy, Vicky, Martha and those that prepared the great food that we enjoyed.  
Thank you Jake for being such a gracious Gentlemen and a consummate sawyer.
Thank you Robert (Yellowhammer) for sharing your experience with RRRQS (Roberts Reverse Roll Quartersawing) technique that was the reason we were sawing sycamore.
Thanks for the opportunity to meet so many talented people.
Thanks for the weather not being too bad.
Thanks to Andrew Burnett, Mike Frost, and Tod Utter, and others for superb off-bearing and sticker stacking.
To anyone that I inadvertently left out, thank you too!
Thanks to all my very good friends that I got to hang out with and to the new ones that I met.
Thanks to my truck and trailer for hauling all that superb sycamore home with me ;D.  

There were three sycamore logs.  Here is Jake prepping the first one for sawing.

The humidification Kiln Drying Class.

One board with some nice color.

The lumber having safely arrived home (my place!).  About 1260 BF, however, most of the boards have not been edged, so that figure will go down a bit after edging.  After edging and shrinkage from drying, hopefully will yield about 1000 bf net. Note the Tennessee stowaway crotch walnut log that snuck onto the front of my trailer.  (Note to those Frozen Northern Types.  No glaciation here).

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

123maxbars

Nice load!
what are your plans with the sycamore cut off?
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

boardmaker

What a great time.  I have always wanted to attend this event but could never make it.  It definitely did not disappoint.

Jake, you have a great place and thank you so much for your hospitality.

Robert, you are a wealth of knowledge.  Thank you for taking the time to help teach and answer all our questions.

Danny, also, thank you for helping teach all of us.

Jeff, your forum is what got this started.  Thanks.

Gene, thanks for the great class on DH kiln drying.

And to everyone else, it was great meeting you and finally being able to put a face to a name.  

And the food... It probably deserves its own post on how good it was.  Top notch!

Look forward to seeing all you guys again.  Hopefully next year.

WDH

Nathan, 

I will cut bowl blanks out of the sycamore cut-off. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

I would also like to thank everyone that attended. This project is only as good as those that attend. This one was first class, just like the guests.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

customsawyer

And no one bragged on my nail sawing ability.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WV Sawmiller

Maybe because that was something no attendee needed more training in doing. :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Deese

WDH pretty much summed everything up in his post thanking everyone. I feel the same way. Wow, what a special event! 

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This was a great weekend.

If you've never been to Jake's during this time you really should plan and come.
Your first time will be the best time.

Everyone has a story and I promise you will learn something you didn't know.
This year there was probably the biggest crowd yet.

I'm not repeating everything that was said before me but I totally agree with what was said.
WDH had a very good summary.

Everyone has a highlight that sticks with them when they leave.
The highlight of my weekend at The Project was meeting member TULE PEAK.
I learned the technics they use in California to produce those tables and doors they build.
They do things a lot different and of course have species of wood that Ive never heard of.
Thanks Rob for taking the time to tell us how you do things.

I also got to meet new Forestry Forum members I have never met before.
And it goes without saying I got to see the old timers I've known for years.

Everyone want understand this but its your family you get to see during this time.
It was good to see Jeff "The Boss" and Stan who drove all the way from Michigan.

But maybe it is just me but the best time I had was listening to Larry and Danny play the music.
These are 2 very talented musicians and this year the music was exceptionally good.
Larry even played the banjer this year.
Even Jeff played the guitar and surprised me.
I thought the only thing he could play was his Balalalaicakaiatianla. But he actually is a very talented string instrument player.

The food was out of this world. Grilled Chicken, pulled BBQ, Chicken and Dumplings Hamburgers, Italian Sausage......more than I can list. Julio....the best cook this side of Atlanta.  :D :D :D

When Jake puts the dates up next year....plan to be there. You'll be glad you did.
Thank you Jake for having us.

Goat
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!