iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

filing gullets

Started by logosoluser, January 14, 2005, 08:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logosoluser

When people talk about filing the gullet of their chains out, exactly what are they talking about? I know basically where the gullet is, but I am not real sure I know everything I need to know about this some of you experts  tell me about this. Thanks

leweee

Gullets are (hogged out) with a large round file to allow clearance for square filing( to get the file in at the right angle) ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Kevin

BC_coops

I'd don't foresee having the money to purchase a square grinder, so I'm just using round files, on "round ground" cutters, like the Oregon LG, LP and Vanguard.  And they do make a tremendous difference!  Just a firm 4" file stroke on each cutter (not limpid, but not too much pressure either) will completely lift a chain out of the doldrums.  I'm using the little Huskie filing tool, which is a pretty neat little gismo which sets into the chain one link ahead and behind the cutter, and has rollers which put upward "pressure" on the file as it moves across the cutter.  But, after a few sharpenings, I'm forming "hooks," with my 7/32 file.

I was thinking of going to a 3/8 file for shaping of the side face, more like the picture of the cutter in your post -- where the side cutter outside angle is around 80°, rather than 50° as happens when a hook gets formed.  this will leave the cutting angle of the top plate a little more "square" to the cut.

It seems that the cutting angle of the top face has to be the same as the outside angle of the side face, when filing with a round file ... is that correct ?  If so, then in order to get a 60° cutting angle on the top plate, I end up with a chain which looks like it has fingernails which are too long (e.g. the hook).  Any thoughts ... maybe my technique is at fault.

beenthere

BC
I suggest altering your technique so the file doesn't go so 'deep'. I do this by raising up on the file (some upward pressure) as I am filing the tooth. It's a 'learned' technique, IMO.  I once had the same results you speak of, and this is what I did to correct it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

BC;
Is that the blue guide you are using for 3/8 pitch chain?
The guide gives you the proper file depth along with proper sideplate hook.
It doesn't give you the top plate angle so you have to use the witness mark on the cutter to guide you.

logosoluser

I am hitting my chain with about 2 or 3 licks of the chain when it slows cutting. I use the Preferd file guide but I am angling the file up some instead of holding it level on the tooth. That makes the chain cut good, but after a while the outside of my tooth is longer than the cutting point of it. I think I need to hold up on the file all the way across and hold it level and I will get the edge I need. What do y'all think? Although the way it is right now doesn't really seem to be bothering the cutting of the chain for now.

Kevin

I always follow the manufactures guide for sharpening their chains.
Some use a 10o sideplate hook and some don't.

Captain

I always filed my ripping chains for the Logosol a little differently than they recommended.

I filed my "hardwood" chains at 0 degrees with a 0 degree plate angle, my "softwood" chains at 10 degrees with a 0 degree plate angle.

I would file a few times and then take them to the grinder for angle correction ::)

The low profile ripping chain from Bailey's also works pretty well.  I ended up regrinding my own in the end.

Captain

logosoluser

Alright, thanks ffor the responses so far, but let me add a little to my question.  Some of y'all identify each part of the chain for me. Like the pitch, side angle, depth gauge and all the other parts and names. A picture with all that information I guess would be best and I am sure some of the chain manufactures have those, but I don't know where. Thanks again.

beenthere

Logosoluser
Just for starts, here is one

http://www.stihllibrary.com/pdf/SharpAdvice061301final.pdf#search='Stihl%20chain%20sharpen'

Hope this helps along with the others' comments.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!