iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Preserving color in Northern Red Oak

Started by jakeginsburg36, February 12, 2018, 04:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeginsburg36

A few days ago, I removed an intruding branch from a Northern Red Oak tree in my yard. I milled a few boards with my chainsaw mill .  The color on the inside of the wood was a beautiful deep red (image attached).  Within a few days, the color faded and became a muted pink.

After the wood dries, I will get the boards planed and sanded.  I would like to preserve the deep red color that existed when I first cut the boards.  Is this possible?  If so, how do you do it?

Thanks!

YOU MUST USE GALLERY TO POST PHOTOS. JPG FORMAT DOCUMENT UPLOAD IS NOT ALLOWED FOR PHOTOS

[attachment deleted by admin]

btulloh

A good quality tung oil after it's dried and planed and made into something will get you back pretty close to that color. You can see that color in the meantime if you just through some water on it.
HM126

btulloh

Oxygen and sunlight affect the color of any wood over time. One of the great things about sawing a log is the color you see when it comes off the saw. Then it dries out, starts to oxidize, and the uv starts to affect it. It never looks the same as fresh-sawn again.  But with the right finish later on you can get some really nice color. After that, sunlight is your biggest problem.
HM126

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Oxidation of the chemicals that color the wood is what causes color change, and such a reaction cannot be prevented.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

moodnacreek

Stickered piles of black walnut facing the sun for a couple of years turn white. [only on the exposed surface]. Also finished walnut turns red in direct sun lite. Eastern red cedar turns salmon color. and so on.

Thank You Sponsors!