The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: DSI  (Read 7353 times)

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: DSI
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2020, 12:42:39 AM »
It would probably be tuff to take him hunting with you for a few years 😂

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2020, 12:46:15 AM »
Very nice. Nice pictures of some of the bucks you have taken
Oh i get your question now.. No no, those bucks i posted a few years back are hanging in a neighbor buddies house up the road.  Locally taken but mostly the 1990s. Theres just been too many years of extreme poaching in back yards over corn to have anything grow into trophies anymore, and its universally the meth heads that do it. Some feed em to their dogs or shoot em at night just for fun which is even worse.  Thats what got me into building a sanctuary out of my little woodlot. 

We only eat one deer per season and im not selective about it.  Theyre all delicious when im done with them.
Revelation 3:20

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2020, 01:07:31 AM »
I hear you there! Good call and nice work on the sanctuary. Yes indeed deer 🦌 are tasty for sure 👍

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2020, 02:54:38 AM »
I regret not having a sequence of true before/after images. When i started we were barely, barely able to keep the lights on and eat, life was in a tailspin and i just started dragging logs up to survive.  It evolved into this 'bring the deer to me' mentality out of necessity back then.

Anyways this is the best progression image ive got at the moment. Same spot year apart i think.  Ive cut that bush back atleast twice for a clearer shot.  The stack is a little over 6ft high.  Ill have to remember to keep taking the same picture year after year.

Before logging i rember this area just being brown leaves and larger trunks.  The kids and i walked right thru it all the time with no actual trail.  Sure cant do that now.  

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2020, 03:17:04 AM »
You got some great stuff going on Mike 👍👍

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2020, 05:37:10 AM »
Yes on the pictures!! I cleared off the Old Pasture. Did it one tree at a time and mowed it with my mini bush hog, a push mower!!! This was tree 6-10 across. I kept the oak for the wild life and everything else is gone. Dug out some rocks and levered out many areas and it needs another treatment with the min bush hog again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2020, 07:54:46 AM »
Man.. Seems like just yesterday i could fit him in my pocket.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)
What is that little tractor he's on? That's perfect for a kid learning the ropes!
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2020, 09:29:08 AM »
People call them cub zeros, the original cub cadet lawn mower from the early 60s.  They can be made to look pretty cool.   I will find a better picture when i have a chance.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2020, 12:32:51 PM »
I sat in my stand this morning, saw one lone doe take her time at 9:05am. She crossed left to right quite a ways out of bow range and sniffed around where i felled some more FW culls yesterday.

Shes the first legal hours deer ive encountered on my property in a long while.  I get fresh tracks almost every night.  Theres been some good sized buck track, scat, rubs and a scrape this season.  Hopefully he makes it another year.

This was december 2017

Same spot today, can't tell much difference. I'm just now starting to thin ahead toward the pasture area where my house will go. 

And the neighbors lot just to the right as a control, still looking like what i started with. Growing more vine and brush than it is boards in my opinion.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter