iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snakey grained wood

Started by osage outlaw, March 01, 2018, 11:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

osage outlaw

I know this isn't milling related but I thought you guys might like to see this snakey grained osage tree that I cut.  It looked like a normal tree when I cut it.  It has been dead and fallen over for several years.  Osage is very rot resistant.  A dead tree can lay on the ground for decades and still be solid.

I knew something was up when it was this hard to get a split started in the end.

It didn't take me long to figure out why.  The grain snakes back and forth.  

This type of wood is very rare and highly valued in the bow building community.  It is much harder to split than straight grained wood.  The finished bow will follow the grain lines and be snakey shaped.  

And an added bonus.  The wood has red streaks all through it.  It will look beautiful when it's finished.  

nativewolf

Always enjoy your osage discussions
Liking Walnut

osage outlaw

That's about the only thing I cut.  

dbroswoods

That is some pretty Osage the red streaks are real cool. It also looks like it is the drarker orange color.
It seems like the wavy grain would make a challenge in making a bow.

Mark

osage outlaw

It is a bigger challenge but also a very unique bow if it survives.  

WDH

Wish that I could get some like that to saw.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ToddsPoint

Our osage is straight grained if it grew in the bottoms and has a spiral grain if it grew on the prairie.  I've never seen a snake type before but now I'm going to look harder.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

osage outlaw

Quote from: ToddsPoint on March 02, 2018, 05:52:46 AM
Our osage is straight grained if it grew in the bottoms and has a spiral grain if it grew on the prairie.  I've never seen a snake type before but now I'm going to look harder.  Gary

A lot of times you can see the pattern in the bark.   I cut an osage tree several years ago that had a tight curly grain.  It is some of the most beautiful wood I've ever seen.  It's like curly maple but very tight stripes and has that yellow color.  It was terrible bow wood but it looks great as knife and hatchet handles.  

69bronco

Make sure and show some of the finished product! popcorn_smiley

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Southside

Will the bow shoot around corners? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

osage outlaw

Quote from: Southside logger on March 02, 2018, 07:51:15 AM
No.  It will shoot just like a normal bow as long as the string lines up with the handle.  

Slingshot

Quote from: Southside logger on March 02, 2018, 07:51:15 AM
You need snakey arrows to do that!

osage outlaw

Here is some of that curly grained osage

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!