iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello... I'm new. This is my introductory thread.

Started by DANSBIRD, March 06, 2018, 04:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzly

Quote from: DANSBIRD on March 07, 2018, 01:05:04 PMIt's pretty impressive that it's still going.

There's a lot of hot air to be said vented yet so this forum should be good for many years!!  :D :D
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Southside

Dansbird - Not much talk of 529's on this forum, but ask which is better a 562 or a 661 and boy does the fur fly!!!   :D  As far as your white oak goes - it's is one of the more valuable species around, it is used in flooring, marine applications, decking, whiskey barrel stave production, etc.  You may want to inquire about oak wilt disease in your area, it has been killing off a lot of white oaks in the south, it spreads via the soil / roots so there are limited options on what you can do to address it.  

As far a loblolly goes, the  :D will not show up in your post once you post it, only in your text screen when typing.  This oddity was discovered by none other than @POSTON WIDEHEAD - AKA The Most Interesting Goat in the World, so credit goes to him for that.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DANSBIRD

Quote from: Southside logger on March 07, 2018, 03:57:47 PM
Dansbird - Not much talk of 529's on this forum, but ask which is better a 562 or a 661 and boy does the fur fly!!!   :D  As far as your white oak goes - it's is one of the more valuable species around, it is used in flooring, marine applications, decking, whiskey barrel stave production, etc.  You may want to inquire about oak wilt disease in your area, it has been killing off a lot of white oaks in the south, it spreads via the soil / roots so there are limited options on what you can do to address it.  

As far a loblolly goes, the  :D will not show up in your post once you post it, only in your text screen when typing.  This oddity was discovered by none other than @POSTON WIDEHEAD - AKA The Most Interesting Goat in the World, so credit goes to him for that.  
Is there any money to be had in harvesting what I can from the white oaks that will have to come down? Or should I just keep on using it for firewood. My dad left one complete in a 10-foot section in hopes of making something out of it. He does a lot of woodworking, etc.

What stinks is I don't have a saw mill or really a way of making the logs into usable pieces. :( 

Thanks for the tip about the loblolly.

Jeff

I'm going to step in and make a comment in two things.  One. The comment on B.S.  in that I call B.S. when it is apparent, it is dealt with  the forum is not full of it.

2nd. The fur does not fly here. That infers that we allow it. We do not. Period.

Please continue and keep it real.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

TKehl

Quote from: DANSBIRD on March 07, 2018, 04:13:31 PMWhat stinks is I don't have a saw mill or really a way of making the logs into usable pieces.  

Hmmm...  If only Magicman had a portable mill & was willing to travel...  Oh wait!  He does and you're only about an hour away.  ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

DANSBIRD

Quote from: Jeff on March 07, 2018, 05:27:23 PM
I'm going to step in and make a comment in two things.  One. The comment on B.S.  in that I call B.S. when it is apparent, it is dealt with  the forum is not full of it.

2nd. The fur does not fly here. That infers that we allow it. We do not. Period.

Please continue and keep it real.
I'm sorry.. what? Did I say something I shouldn't have? If so, I'm not sure what it was. 

Jeff

Nope, you sure didn't. You are fine,  but there were some comments made welcoming you that were not a true reflection of the Forestry Forum. Sometimes spirited posts are made and it is forgotten that others come along and read them later and may take away something from them that they shouldn't.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

starmac

Coming from someone that doesn't have any access to many species of trees, sawing good white oak logs up for firewood would bring tears to my eyes. Maybe just because I will never be able too.
I would think if you have any use for the lumber, it would be feasible to have a portable mill come in and saw it for you, at least worth more than smoke.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Dansbird, Welcome to the FF.

With all the trees you have, have you ever thought about buying a used mill and sawing your own tree into lumber?

You could build barns, sheds or use it for woodworking. Just a thought.

I had a tree service bring me 7 of the nicest White Oak logs I've ever seen.
Today I sawed 17 - 1 x 12 x 12 White Oak boards that will be used for above ground flower planters. Each board sold for $23.00 and at 17 boards that 1 log brought in $391.00.

So getting a mill maybe something to think about.

Note: I'm not trying to turn this thread into a sawmill discussion.....Roxie would be on me like White on Grits.

Goat

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Southside

Sorry Jeff.  That was my poor attempt at sarcasm.  Jim
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Dansbird,

To answer your question, if you did find a way to get a portable mill there, and member MagicMan would be a great resource, then it is quite possible that you would have some beautiful lumber for the home you speak of building.  Personally I would look into it.  

For me to burn white oak it has to be limbs or completely full of rot to the point I can't salvage anything out of it.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

woodmaker

Welcome,Dansbird. In my neck of the woods,white oak is valued as trailer decking. Red oak splits too easily,and nothing else seems to last.
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

Magicman

Quote from: DANSBIRD on March 07, 2018, 07:56:23 AMMagicman, I'm in Brandon.
I have a Daughter and her family that lives in Brandon.  After I catch my breath we will get together and see what we can do about your sawing.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DANSBIRD

Thanks for all of the feedback. Right now, only 2 trees are on the ground. One fell against another and they both came down. I had a forester friend come out and he pointed out at least 15 that would need to come down before we built our house.  I'd love to be able to use it for the house. I just figured it'd be more expensive or too much of a hassle for what it'd be worth to have it done. And I really have no way of hauling the logs anywhere for it to be cut up, either.

Still, you've all certainly given me something to ponder.

DANSBIRD

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on March 07, 2018, 06:45:42 PM
Dansbird, Welcome to the FF.

With all the trees you have, have you ever thought about buying a used mill and sawing your own tree into lumber?

You could build barns, sheds or use it for woodworking. Just a thought.

I had a tree service bring me 7 of the nicest White Oak logs I've ever seen.
Today I sawed 17 - 1 x 12 x 12 White Oak boards that will be used for above ground flower planters. Each board sold for $23.00 and at 17 boards that 1 log brought in $391.00.

So getting a mill maybe something to think about.

Note: I'm not trying to turn this thread into a sawmill discussion.....Roxie would be on me like White on Grits.

Goat

While I am intrigued, I can't see buying a mill for, what would be for me, basically a one-time use. I'm not exactly proficient w/ a chainsaw and have a bad reputation w/ sharp objects, so I don't think a mill is really right for me. lol However, I am jealous and envious that you have the means and abilities to do it yourself.

I should con my dad into getting one though. He has a shop full of wood-working saws and whatnot. Ban saws, routers, lathes, planers, radial saw, etc... He'd love a mill, I'm sure. I may have to noodle w/ that idea. Doubt he'd get one, but it's worth a discussion.

WV Sawmiller

DB,

Welcome. I never did see a proper response to your question about the pine trees under your name so I'll take a stab at it. The number is tied in with the number of posts and contributions you make here on the FF. I think, but won't swear, the formula for getting more trees also includes diversity - you need to check out multiple threads. I find neat stuff in categories I never thought I was interested in even though I may go a week or more between checking in on them.

Keep us posted on how things are going for you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Quote from: DANSBIRD on March 08, 2018, 07:53:42 AMI'd love to be able to use it for the house. I just figured it'd be more expensive or too much of a hassle for what it'd be worth to have it done.
You could use non-graded sawn lumber for all except framing lumber in Brandon.  It might look nice to have a wall paneled or wainscot with your lumber.  In addition to sawing there could also be drying and milling costs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DANSBIRD

Quote from: Magicman on March 08, 2018, 10:10:43 PM
Quote from: DANSBIRD on March 08, 2018, 07:53:42 AMI'd love to be able to use it for the house. I just figured it'd be more expensive or too much of a hassle for what it'd be worth to have it done.
You could use non-graded sawn lumber for all except framing lumber in Brandon.  It might look nice to have a wall paneled or wainscot with your lumber.  In addition to sawing there could also be drying and milling costs.
That's a good idea and something to consider for sure. Thanks 
I wish there was a way of managing the logs out there w/out having to bring in a mill. A chainsaw just won't cut it (no pun intended). Someone just needs to come out w/ a saw that has similar functionality as a portable mill, but much more compact, like a chainsaw. :D  

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: DANSBIRD on March 09, 2018, 10:41:37 AMThat's a good idea and something to consider for sure. Thanks I wish there was a way of managing the logs out there w/out having to bring in a mill. A chainsaw just won't cut it (no pun intended). Someone just needs to come out w/ a saw that has similar functionality as a portable mill, but much more compact, like a chainsaw. :D

Why the wish?  If you read the Whatcha Sawin' ??? thread, you would see that MM can saw a log up in 11 minutes, including handling!  So your collection of logs would be a half day of sawing for him at a very reasonable rate.  Granted, oak might be a little slower than SYP to cut.  A straight oak out here has about 1 foot of straightness to it :D

so I would do anything to make use of what you have.  Your dad could do the finish work on your oak to turn it into flooring, T&G wall boards or wainscotting.  Then you would both have something to be proud of.  You just need to make friends with a neighbor that has a FEL to handle the logs.  Worst case, parbuckle the logs onto a flatbed trailer and off load them in one area for a mill to chew on.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

TKehl

Quote from: DANSBIRD on March 09, 2018, 10:41:37 AMSomeone just needs to come out w/ a saw that has similar functionality as a portable mill, but much more compact, like a chainsaw.

It exists.

http://www.ripsaw.com/sawmills.html

I've had one, sold it, and am not interested in getting another...  Heavy, awkward, and small cutting width.  (Better options below...)

Then there are the Alaskan mills...  Best as a slabber IMHO.  Also pretty good for making beams.  I plan to get one eventually to handle things over 48" if I find enough that big to justify.

https://granberg.com/alaskan-mills/

Turbosaw is a bit bigger, but has some nice chainsaw powered options at the intro level.  Never been around them, but if they had been out before I got my Lucas, I would have given them a hard look.

http://www.turbosawmillusa.com/hobby
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Magicman

If those logs will be on the property pictured I do not see a problem.

gspren

Dansbird, before you make any decisions get someone experienced like Magicman to just stop for a visit and tell you what they can and can't do and what would be expected of you, don't cost much to ask a few questions and they are easier to answer while standing on site.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

DANSBIRD

My wife and I stopped by our lot this weekend and while we were there, I snapped a few pictures of 3 that will have to come down.

The one on the right isn't rotted (yet), it just was scraped when another tree came crashing down. Knocked the bark off the side of it.

And this other really tall one:

Like I said earlier... there are quite a few others, but those are probably the nicest/largest examples. 

DANSBIRD

Quote from: gspren on March 09, 2018, 04:41:56 PM
Dansbird, before you make any decisions get someone experienced like Magicman to just stop for a visit and tell you what they can and can't do and what would be expected of you, don't cost much to ask a few questions and they are easier to answer while standing on site.
That sounds like a solid idea. Thanks. 
Magicman, if that's something you wouldn't mind doing, we can probably work something out and coordinate something around your schedule sometime when you're up this way anyway. No need to make a special trip. We won't be doing anything drastic any time soon. 

dgdrls

Welcome Dansbird,

lots to learn, great folks here.

best
D

Thank You Sponsors!