iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I sawed the BIG HONKING BLACK CHERRY LOG TODAY...sore ankle and all!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, April 03, 2018, 07:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Ankle still soar but had to get out of the house. Wore my BIG boot to protect my ankle but me and Kirk conquered that Cherry Log.

I'll have to say I'm not sure what it weighed but it was my mill's limit.....no doubt.
Broke the chain unloading it with the grapple and back hoe and could actually pick it up only 4 foot off the ground.

Finally got it loaded on the mill using the loading arms and pushing against it with the forks. Since I couldn't turn it with the log turner or the clamp or the log turner and clamp working together, it took us 2 times to get it placed right with the back hoe forks.

Here's Kirk declaring "a win"......little did he know we were just getting started.

A kind word to Woodmizer......ya need to move the key switch box to the left side. As it stands, the key switch sticks out past the up and down rails and sometime we need that extra width.

After prying and pulling with the backhoe we got it situated for our first cut.
It took up every inch I bought on this mill.

We produced some really nice slabs out of this log with no flaws in it at all.
These slabs were soooo heavy at 2-1/2" thick x wide. I wasn't much help at moving these due to my ankle but Super Trooper grabbed them like a weekend speeder.

I didn't get a picture but a 10 inch mantel came out of the dead center. The Mantel was perfect all the way around with the pith and all it's secrets inside.

Then the rest of our time was sawing on down until we had nothing left.

Got it all loaded on the trailer.
A total of 6 different customer plus the owner of this log came by and looked at it.
This log was the best advertisement I've ever had. Took the mill to the max and had witnesses.  :D
Realizing what he had, we were paid and given a $100.00 tip. 8)

Today is what its all about!  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

starmac

Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on April 03, 2018, 08:09:32 PM
I bet that you were glad to see that sucker gone.
Yes I was....it started out fun, then I don't know why my feelings changed.  :D :D :D :D

Bandmill Bandit

Dont need WM to move the key! You NEED the LT50 WIDE head MILL!  ;D

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

starmac

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on April 03, 2018, 08:17:13 PM
Quote from: WDH on April 03, 2018, 08:09:32 PM
I bet that you were glad to see that sucker gone.
Yes I was....it started out fun, then I don't know why my feelings changed.  :D :D :D :D
Maybe it had something to do with that 100 dollar tip, just think of all the sweet feed a guy can get with that.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Magicman

Congrats to both you and Kirk for a job well done.  I have a love/hate relationship with those big'uns. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

"Grabbed them like a weekend speeder" 😂😂😂 That was a heck of a log, one hoof widehead! 
Too many irons in the fire

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Andries

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Southside

Is that smoke I see in the background of the next to the last photo?  You didn't hobble out there and check it out?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Percy

Awesome....Im jonesing bad for the wide head. Must have that mill tweeked fine for big cuts like that. I am humbled and all I can say is "Baaaaaaaa"...wait!! Issat a sheep? 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

justallan1

WOW! Nice log and some great looking boards.
I'm afraid if my mill saw a log like that it would leave the job all by itself, probably crying. running-doggy

WV Sawmiller

David,

Congrats and well done to you and Kirk. I did not know those soft shoes came with steel toes. I hope the 10" mantel you mention was 10" wide and not 10" thick! 

I recently cut a 4.5" thick walnut slab out of a similar sized log that scaled out at 122 bf and it weighs close to 600 lbs. I can only imagine how heavy it would have been if 10" thick.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WV Sawmiller

I calculate 120 bf and toolbox says 456 lbs. Wow is right. I hope they have stout corbels or side supports!
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

PA_Walnut

NICE cherry, for sure! I have done that same wrestle. Starts out with lots of anticipation and enthusiasm, which seems to diminish as the tasks set in.  :o

Blade: Let's talk blade(s). What did you use and what kinda feed rate? I have stopped using Turbo7's on my 40Wide for super-wide cuts as they just don't git'er done.

Curious what you are finding works best. I've moved to carbide. WORLD of difference!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Southside

That was the old Poston - the new Posthole is a turbo convert.   :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

POSTON WIDEHEAD

PA Walnut.....about the blades....

As I have said in a lot of my posts, I can only report what's works for me.

I used 2 blade for this entire job.
I put on a re sharp Turbo 7 each time.

The reason I used 2 blades is there were a lot of times I could not use the debarker.

I wanted to keep the sharpest blade cutting at all times.

The feed rate was slow and I mean very slow on the widest cuts. It was really tight.
Twice I experienced Cherry bark in the chain and the head would stop. I knew what it was each time as Cherry bark is notorious for wedging in the chain and stopping the head from moving forward.
I slowly let the blade do it's job and poured the lube to it. The PSI was set at 4,000 and fell and stabilized at 3800.
I didn't get any lines across the face or dips or rises.

Would a 4 degree have worked just as good sawing this wide? I don't know, I knew the T7 would work for me and that was my blade choice.
Every cut was perfect.
We worked a little over 3 hours starting when we unloaded to when we loaded.

Bruno.....I have quite a few boxes of Turbo 7 blades now.

Tin Horse

Beautiful cherry! I've been using the Ripper 37, 7 degree. Worked well but getting to expensive and no more free shipping. I'm trying the Cook's super sharp now. Bought their dual tooth setter and sharpener. Even with exchange a better price.
I've put a few white oak and walnut on the mill like that. Working alone I use the thumb on the backhoe But its risky. If something slips or a bit the wrong way and the mills damaged. Gotta stay focused. The lumber worth it but relived when done.
I've got 1 old cherry about 4' diameter still alive. Makes me nervous just looking at it. I'm thinking it's rotten or hollow at the base. I'll wait. :(
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Southside logger on April 03, 2018, 11:38:27 PM
Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on April 03, 2018, 09:50:44 PM
Mantel was 10 x 18 x 8.  :o :o :o :o YEP!
Thats not a mantel - that's a DanG bridge timber!!!  
Actually the Mantel is 10 x 30 x almost 9. He's wanting it resawn to 10 x 18 later for a mountain house.
Heres proof.

But I'm like you Jim......bridge timber.  :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!