iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberking 1600... toeboard question

Started by chinaberry, May 13, 2018, 03:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apm

Quote from: Magicman on December 21, 2018, 09:41:49 AM
That two plane idea is "over the top" terrific!!  Not only can you dodge knots, you will also find that you can "nudge" a log forward or backwards with it.  smiley_thumbsup
They only slide manually. It didn't seem like it would be worth the effort and expense to power them. 
The reason I said they were patterned after the two plane clamp is the cylinder mount, slide and 3/4 x 2 side support bar, just like the clamp.
Timberking 1600 now

Magicman

Raise both ends of a log and you will find that by using a peavey or cant hook as a pry bar, it will either roll or slide.  Either way and you win.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DPatton

:o :o :o I am green with envy! You did a really nice job on those mods. You have just made your milling soooooo much easier. Great work! Think I may know someone that needs the same thing on his mill ???.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

dean herring

Wanting to add toe boards and was wondering where to find these pictures that Larry and GA Mountainman posted.
They look factory made or better😎😎
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

apm

The pictures from Larry and GA Mountain Man were of the two plane clamp. There were a few posts, and additional pictures in their galleries.  The toe board design just kinda evolved.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

boardmaker

Great work apm.

I've never seen sliding Toe Boards.  It's a great idea too.
Curious about your 2plane clamp.  Can you lift and roll big logs with it.  I've only seen Woodmizers style.  They use cylinders instead of a hydraulic motor.  Also wondering if the UHMW is strong enough to handle the pressures from turning big logs.  If so, I may change how I build mine.

Stuart Caruk

Not a timberking, but I added 9 toe rollers to my Woodmizer LX450 main bed, and my own extension. They were cheaper to buy than to make at around $464 each. they came with all the brackets, hardware, and hydraulic cylinders. It was simple enough to plumb them into a spare hydraulic power unit and the existing valves, or use some 12VDC solenoid valves plumbed into the original hydraulics.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

apm

Quote from: boardmaker on August 06, 2019, 03:16:24 PM
Great work apm.

I've never seen sliding Toe Boards.  It's a great idea too.
Curious about your 2plane clamp.  Can you lift and roll big logs with it.  I've only seen Woodmizers style.  They use cylinders instead of a hydraulic motor.  Also wondering if the UHMW is strong enough to handle the pressures from turning big logs.  If so, I may change how I build mine.
The 2 plane clamp is plenty sturdy enough to lift and roll logs, but I haven't tried turning logs with it because I've got the chain turner. I do flip large cants to keep the chain turner from scarring the corners and it works well for that. I also use it to move the cants away from the backstops. On the 1600, the backstops swing in an arc to raise and lower. When the cant is firmly against them, they are hard to move. I put the 2 plane clamp under the cant, lift it and scoot it away from the backstops. 
The UHMW is what Timberking uses and seems to hold up fine. 
Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Thank You Sponsors!