iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily carnage thread

Started by mike_belben, July 23, 2018, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I wouldn't take the Heavy Chevy on a road trip, when it lays down it will be between my house and a job so my wife can come and get me😁 Or if our lowboy is in the area he can pick me up. Rigs that go farther than that get fixed right.
Too many irons in the fire

nativewolf

I am sort of aiming for a middle ground.  I'm going to put the bolts back in and seal it up.  No long rides and no carrying firewood.  In the meantime I am shopping for a new axle.  If I find an axle in 1 week at a great price, I win.  If it takes me 2 months ok too.  The longest drive I'll make will be to get the axle and take the truck to get that done. 

I'm going to have the front end done at the same time.  If the junkyard has a better bed I might get one too, and a tailgate.  Cows ...hate em.  

Liking Walnut

mike_belben

That bed is worth more than my truck.  Dont expect to find one better than yours. 
Praise The Lord

mjeselskis

One of today's jobs was too figure out why the starter was grinding in the plow truck. ('98 GMC 1500 4.3L)

I think I found the issue. 

Looks like I shimmed the starter too much when I replaced it a couple years ago. I should have pulled it the first time it was grinding instead of running it until it stopped starting... About 10+20% of the teeth are damaged.  Now I'm trying to figure out if I can clean up these teeth enough and get rid of the shims to get the teeth engaged deeper to avoid pulling the trans/transfer.  😒

2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

mike_belben

No chance.  Waste of time trying. 
Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

Start pulling the trans out... like Mike said waste of time trying to fix that.

mjeselskis

Quote from: mike_belben on December 12, 2021, 02:15:27 PM
No chance.  Waste of time trying.
Yeah, I figured. Hopefully the weather stays snow-free until it's back together. Most of the teeth are perfect, but the bad ones are toast
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

Tacotodd

Check your starter drive teeth while you're in there. Worn with bad is not a good idea ;)
Trying harder everyday.

Don P

Just before Christmas I had my finest one tooth display hanging off  the front of the skidsteer, think single subsoiler shank hanging off the front instead of forks on the rack.

I was working up the hard pack under the house we are working on when I heard a pop, looked down and I had torn the front knuckles off the arms. Bummer!

I didn't have the camera for the approach but hopefully this is the getaway. We cut and welded 1/4" plate for each side of each knuckle and wrapped a strap of 1/4" around and back to the arms.  We'll move it back today and see if we got it stuck back together well enough, lots of stress on not much steel there.

mike_belben

Wow you tore the loader arm. I thought it was the cylinder rod eyelet wore through. 

Nice job.
Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

Working on something similar as Don. Bought this skid steer with these "patches" welded over what I assumed was a crack. Fast forward a thousand hours and stumping a few miles of fencelines. After it cracked thru the surface it was time to fix it right. What I found underneath is pretty bad. The pin boss was tore partially out once upon a time and "welded" back in place crooked. So all the "weld" (use that term loosely as its more like bird 6!@#%^&*) has been removed and the pin boss moved back to where it needs to be. Some more prep work and its time to start welding it back up.

mike_belben

I guess gehl shoulda stacked another teardrop gusset over that tube bushing on each side.  
Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

The other side is original and never been broke. The boom is basically the same as the current model machines and neither I or the dealer have ever seen or heard of another failure. This particular machine had a rough previous life, maintance and care are two words its never seen.

And when you have an abused machine that'll lift 7k+ lbs you know she's seen some things in her day she shouldn't have. Ha

barbender

I am continually amazed by the things I have seen people manage to break.
Too many irons in the fire

Don P

Sometimes I even amaze myself  :D

I feel better seeing basically the exact same failure. Complete with a previous repair. The parts maunual shows a bushing, I figured mine was an early model, interesting to see it the same on a newer machine.

I just got the color closer. The first coat was rustoleum JD Yellow, we call it ETP Yellow cause its outta this world ::). I mixed in a few drops of red and it is closer and less offensive  :D.

newoodguy78

Nice job on the repair Don looks better than factory. 

Crusarius

Quote from: Don P on January 01, 2022, 08:32:54 AM
Just before Christmas I had my finest one tooth display hanging off  the front of the skidsteer, think single subsoiler shank hanging off the front instead of forks on the rack.

I was working up the hard pack under the house we are working on when I heard a pop, looked down and I had torn the front knuckles off the arms. Bummer!

I didn't have the camera for the approach but hopefully this is the getaway. We cut and welded 1/4" plate for each side of each knuckle and wrapped a strap of 1/4" around and back to the arms.  We'll move it back today and see if we got it stuck back together well enough, lots of stress on not much steel there.

Anytime I have had to do something similar to this I always try not to have a straigh piece going  from top to bottom on the arm. that creates a weak heat effected sone and the perfect failure point for the next time. I typically have a diamond shape I use. works well an gives more meat to work with.

Crusarius

I thought I was the only one who used high lifts in sketchy positions like that. :) very effective.

chevytaHOE5674

That poor highlift has seen about as abuse at the skid steer itself. The main beam is bowed, all the pins are bent, the bolt that connects the handle arm to the rest is been bent and busted then replaced with a GR8. It often requires a hammer to tap the pins in and put as it goes up and down. Ha

chevytaHOE5674

Because I wanted to be able to test fit the pin in and out to make sure the boss was aligned as best as possible with pin bore I couldn't leave the high lift jack in there. So I welded a shark fin on with 2 cutouts for wedges. This allowed me to fine tune the position so that pin slides in and out freely now.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

Thanks Mike. I've been fortunate to work with some very skilled individuals over the years. And while I may not be as good as any of them at their own kraft I try to learn and apply what I can from each and every one of them. 

newoodguy78

I dare say when that fix is done you'll never have to deal with it again. It already looks better. You do nice work. 

mudfarmer

Ross HP70 steering box, non functional.

Symptoms: 180 degrees of slop/free play then binds tight in both directions.

Diagnosis: Never adjusted, oiled, greased or maintained, manual never consulted.

Outer sleeve of steering column had been broken, brazed back together and then broken again. Manual states there must be NO tension on column when mounted, or this exact thing will happen.

That broken outer sleeve allowed water to enter the steering box..

Chipped out the ice, confirmed slop is just from not being adjusted (it is very easy to adjust the finger that rides in the worm gear). Bind was as you guessed, due to the whole thing being full of a mixture of cement hard grease and ice.

Treatment: Seal it back up and fill with diesel for a good soaking. Need to address broken column sleeve to prevent further water infiltration and mounting to prevent breaking the sleeve again. With a little grease, proper adjustment and filled with oil should be good for another 50 years

Don P

When I looked at the pictures of the guts my thought was "that just looks nasty, it doesn't look hurt". Can you split the appropriate sized pipe and weld a sleeve over the break?

Thank You Sponsors!