iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily carnage thread

Started by mike_belben, July 23, 2018, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudfarmer

Yep got lucky, nothing grenaded just didn't know where else to post. Since the box is welded to the frame and the arm is welded to the main shaft it could have been a nightmare if something was proper munched. Pipe sleeve is probably the route for column fix.

Parts are still available but expensive, $419 for that stud that rides the worm gear (with bearings). At that point might as well just go full hydro  ???

mike_belben

For $400 id have a scrapyard forklift orbital valve and doubled ended cylinder in mind.  

Whats this in.. Old truck?
Praise The Lord

mudfarmer

My thoughts as well Mike but it is in my old straight frame skidder and would like to keep it as original as possible, take to shows etc for some fun. Light restomod leaning harder at resto than mod. Been picking away at it at night when it is not too far below 0. These Ross boxes are supposed to be pretty nice, it has a 12gpm valve on it and a beefy cylinder already. Factory hydro assist, would prob make the rock crawlers go nuts if it wasn't push/pull

Crusarius

hehe, you had me drooling till you said push pull :)

mike_belben

Lets see some pics of this thing. 
Praise The Lord

mudfarmer

I will start a thread soon but here you go. It cost about the same as a Ross HP70 stud/bearings and a 30pack  :D

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

mike_belben

long forks sure help getting belly pans on, but im either gonna have to turn that frown upside down or do some wallerin with the gas axe. theyre like 2 inches out.

real good thing i decided to go lay on the cold ground instead of wait a while because the trans drain plug was backing out and a final is full of milk. pretty soon the blade will have to come off to rebush the main pivots, and ideally the idler slides need built back up too. new top rolls is probably asking too much of the wallet. 
Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

looks like you could cut some slits into that angle iron for relief then bend er back then weld the gaps?
A1

HemlockKing

hows that dozer work i hadnt realized you had that much equipment
A1

mike_belben

when its running and you need a dozer, theres nothing like it. 

gonna pie cut the ribs and ratchet binder the sides in then brace it i guess. 
Praise The Lord

mudfarmer

Serpentine belt tensioner failed this morning @-18F, decided to move South for the winter after a few -20s. Saw it coming for the past week, new belt on hand. Grab tensioner from parts truck (after getting foot of snow off hood) and off to the races.

mike_belben

Hang in there mudfarmer.

High of 48 today.  Maybe daily mud season aint so bad.
Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

That would be fun in those temps, the thing that irks me when working in the cold with iron is hitting your hand the pain factor is 10x  :)
A1

barbender

I don't know why that is, but it's a fact. A smashed cold hand is a special kind of pain😬
Too many irons in the fire

HemlockKing

Quote from: barbender on January 24, 2022, 05:45:43 PM
I don't know why that is, but it's a fact. A smashed cold hand is a special kind of pain😬
"DOHHHHH!!!!" 
(possible cussing) 
:)
A1

KEC

Changing fuel filters in very cold temps with diesel on your hands is also a special kind of hurt and cold.

HemlockKing

Quote from: KEC on January 24, 2022, 06:34:20 PM
Changing fuel filters in very cold temps with diesel on your hands is also a special kind of hurt and cold.
:D :D :D @mike_belben 
A1

Corley5

Once upon a time there was an old Native American fella driving truck for a local logger.  Of course the fuel gauge didn't work in the old cab over Binder.  To see how much fuel it had he'd roll up his sleeve and stick his arm into the tank.  We'd heard that's how he did it.  One morning at the shop a buddy and I saw him do it.  It was only 15 below :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

newoodguy78

That's a special kind of tough. 

Oliver05262

Like stirrin' yer coffee with yer thumb.......
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

mike_belben

That guy was a real dipstick. 
Praise The Lord

Nebraska

Hmm that last one resembles a dad joke. ;) :)

Or at least I've been told.. 

Probably daily. :)

mike_belben

i got the flanges drawn back in last night.  i can add a spreader bar in the rear pan to keep it if the welder doesnt run out of gas.  time to go see what starts and get after it i guess. thank god the kids went to school.  a week home over 2" of snow.  right after 3 straight weeks from covid and winter break. im burned out on kids

Praise The Lord

Iwawoodwork

Mike, Good thinking on using that ratchet binder for a puller,  I just learned a newb trick, thanks.

Thank You Sponsors!