Daily carnage thread

Started by mike_belben, July 23, 2018, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Got to have a little excitement 😂

rdobb13

Quote from: Walnut Beast on November 03, 2022, 08:00:45 PM
Got to have a little excitement 😂
Ha ha, I never had it that far over myself.  The boy that tops for me has been easing into running it.  Today he got a lesson.  Most importantly he was fine.  The cab never touched the ground.  

bigblockyeti

It's way easier to inspect the undercarriage like that and no chance of anything leaking on you either.

rusticretreater

Don't tell me.  He wants to be a monster truck driver, right?
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

newoodguy78

That's a headknocker there glad he's okay. Did something stop it from going all the way or is the picture as it was being brought back to sunnyside up? It looks like it could have gone further. 

rdobb13

Quote from: newoodguy78 on November 04, 2022, 03:41:57 PM
That's a headknocker there glad he's okay. Did something stop it from going all the way or is the picture as it was being brought back to sunnyside up? It looks like it could have gone further.
Yea, the tree that took it over also stopped it from going all the way over.  It hooked on the top of the tower.  

chevytaHOE5674

Run a rubber tire buncher long enough and eventually you will lay it over. Haha

newoodguy78

I've heard that multiple times. 

Resonator

Be a good time to clean the belly pans... ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Otis1

I'm not an equipment guy, so I'd like to know how one of those tips over. Looks like relatively flat ground. My best guess is being a buncher you're running tree length and a log got caught between bumper trees on a turn.

barbender

I've also heard it said, that you're not running a rubber tire buncher if you don't lay it over once in a while. Strap in and get ready for the rodeo😊

Otis, they tip over because they really only have stability forward and backward, but not side to side. If you cut a tree with a big heavy top that is leaning to one side or the other, they can get hung up in the tower and take you over. The tower is designed to release the tree straight forward, and there are fixed arms that form a pocket for the tree to rest in until you are ready to dump it. If the tree is leaning hard to the side, it will take you over sideways before you can get it to dump out the front. 

A rubber tire buncher works by driving straight into the tree, cutting and grabbing it at once, and then backing up and turning about 45° and dumping the tree. They'll dump more in with that same tree until they have a "bunch" for the skidder to grab. Anyways, a lot of times guys tip over when backing up and turning to dump the tree. You lose stability when turning, and it also seems like that's when you also back over that high stump you should've cut lower. Yee-haw!😂

In the '80's Bobcat and Barko made a massive skid steer with a buncher head. Operators told me tipping them over once a day was a normal day😁
Too many irons in the fire

Resonator

Always wondered how one of those old Bell 3 wheel fellers would compare to a 4 wheel machine, would think the CG would be lower.

barbender

Do a YouTube search, there are some old promotional videos Bell did with them. They are very impressive for the timber they can put down with a skilled operator.

Resonator

Watched a couple vids, definitely a nimble machine that could cut a lot of timber. One of the longtime loggers said it took nothing to turn one over, said he flipped one 3 times in one day. :o

barbender

If they had a fixed head, I can see where they would be easy to lay over. Seems like it would be much more difficult to do with a dangle head.

Otis1

Thanks for the explanation. For some reason I was thinking grapple skidder not feller buncher. I guess I've never seen the underside of either one. I can see how that could be sketchy.

rdobb13

He pretty much released the tree without laying the head out any at all.....second complication was that the top was caught in another and it had nowhere to go but to the right.  For the machine it was pretty well at the he upper end of it's radius ability also.  

Crusarius

I really hate contributing to this thread.

So today I am heading down the road in my 15 f-150. just coasting down a long hill when I notice something didn't seem right. I look at the dash and it shows I was in third gear. I was doing about 65mph. engine RPM's were normal. So I tapped the throttle and the rpm's redlined and the shift indicator showed it shifting all the way to 6th gear rapidly. Still felt nothing. I ended up shutting truck of then restarting it to get the rpm's back down.

I put it back in drive and hit the throttle and it rapidly shifted through the gears again. The rpm's were a little more tame this time.

I ended up on the side of the road with no forward or reverse gears. I ended up crawling around under the truck, no leaks no damage never felt anything let go. Was as simple as someone unplugging the toaster.

Had it towed to the local shop and tech asked if it had park or if it just wasn't rolling. Lucky me the answer was it just was not rolling. Super lucky since I was laying under it between the tires. that could have been bad.

tried 4wd no movement 2wd no movement. unloading off the flatbed it was in park and rolled like it was in neutral.

no idea what failed but it seems to be something mechanical between tranny and tcase.

Old Greenhorn

Quick shot, right from the hip with my brain barely clearing the holster I am going to guess it's a computer issue. Best of luck. Normally electronics would be much cheaper than mechanical, right? But in today's age, it's a toss up, right?
 Really, best of luck, this is painful, I know.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Crusarius

I dunno, we checked all the codes. no codes at all. I was thinking it was a sensor but it seemed that the trans would engage run through the gears and when the tech put it in park you could hear it skipping past the park pawl till it slammed into park.

Really acts mechanical. Thinking sheared input shaft for tcase? maybe output from tranny? I have no idea. rear driveshaft does not spin.

bigblockyeti

2015 seems a few score early for that to be happening.  I think it's really neat, all this new technology coming out in vehicles, I'm super excited to see when someone will actually get it right, but not holding my breath.  I had a new 2017 Navigator for a long weekend with a couple thousand miles on it and it just shut off driving down the highway at a steady 73mph.  Pulled off, turned it off then back on and it was fine the rest of the trip and the drive home.  Reliability trumps "features" 100 times out of 100 for me.

Crusarius

so I got a call from the technician today. He pulled the drain plug and tcase was empty. only thing that came out was liquid metal. I am just a little angry at that because the last time I had it in the dealer I told them it was leaking and I wanted them to take a look at it. They said its not leaking and is full. somehow in 4000 miles the case went from full to empty without a drop left under the truck.

So the dealer flat out lied to me and now I sit here without a truck. Shop wants $1100 to get me a junkyard one and swap it in. I think I need to have a chat with the dealer.

I did actually witness the liquid metal and even looked in the case with my inspection camera. It has been dry for a very long time.

bigblockyeti

I'm sorry to hear that, it's a little on ford and A LOT on the dealer that lied to you.  $1100 seems a bit steep for a used transfer case and installation.  Would you care to share the name of the dealership so others might be spared the same fate?

chevytaHOE5674

Not sure what a junkyard tcase goes for these days. But a few months back I pulled one out of an F-150 and replaced it with a customer supplied replacement in about 2.5 hours....

I've been charging $100 per hour plus shop supplies. I'd have to look back but I'm guessing the bill was around 300 bucks, plus whatever the tcase cost the customer.

Resonator

One good thing about F 150's is the they built so many, I would think used parts should be easy to find. 

Thank You Sponsors!