iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying rate for Ginkgo 5/4

Started by Lopi, July 25, 2018, 09:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lopi

Hi all,  I have milled a Ginkgo tree for a gal who wanted to re-purpose a tree that came down for house construction.  I have about 800 board feet of 5/4 to dry in a Wood Mizer KD150 (same as Nyle L53).  I'm guessing I can drying if aggressively as it is a very soft wood.  Does anyone know the max drying rate for Ginkgo?  Should I dry it like a softwood, or can I set the kiln for continuous run?    Thanks, Jeff 

WDH

My instinct is to set the kiln for a continuous run.  It should dry like a softwood and it should dry fast.  But, I do not have any experience with ginko. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

When we did not know what to do with an unusual species when I was at the US Forest Products Lab, we suggested the dogwood schedule.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Lopi

Thank you guys.  I went ahead with continuous run setting.  It had been shed drying for a few months.  I set the Wagner MM to a soft wood setting and it read 22% MC so I figured I'd be ok hitting it hard.  Thanks again.  Jeff. 

Thank You Sponsors!