The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Stihl ms 500i  (Read 17641 times)

Offline DelawhereJoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Trapped in Delawhere
    • Share Post
Stihl ms 500i
« on: July 27, 2018, 06:15:22 PM »
The MS500i ? The most exciting new chainsaw | STIHL Blog
Time to start saving money for a new saw.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
Re: Stihl ms 500i
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 12:55:05 AM »
Joe, the ways things are going the 500i may just beat the MS462 for availability in North America.

If it does then there will be no need to own a MS462  :)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 08:57:58 AM »
Nice saw, but now one has tested those saws yet, so we will see.

the (not) release on the 462 in america really annoys me. Such a well announced saw in europe, game changer saw, far ahead of the competition in weight/power ratios and then it's not available in one of the biggest markets ???, i don't know what the problem is. 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 09:46:22 AM »
Teakwood, blame it on California :)
EPA regulations is so strict in that state that the ripple effect effects the whole country. Stihl has the huge undertaking of navigating thru this EPA red tape.
What I don't understand is Germany has some of the strictist clean environment regulations in the world.
Just in a different language I guess.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 06:06:50 PM »
Just read Trump is going to cut California emission rules......

Offline DelawhereJoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Trapped in Delawhere
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 06:52:53 PM »
What would be nice is if the 462 replaced the 441 both on the shelf and for the price and the 500i replaced the 462 for price
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 07:47:37 PM »
Joe, I think I'll just wait for the 500i. I'm having too much fun running my freshly OEM rebuilt first year 066Mag after converting it to a 066/064 hybrid.
I have a narrower profile 064 flywheel and rewind housing on the 066 now . Feels like my 064 again but with an extra 7 cc. Just ordered a 20" Stihl ES light bar for it and took off the heavy dual dogs and put a smooth aluminum bumper on it. It will replace the 562 as my go to saw for now.
Some things just don't get old with age.

Offline outinthewood

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 12:14:09 PM »
Picked up a 500i last night and it got 4/5 lts of run time today in mixed Pine, Fir and Spruce windblow. So first thoughts, it's a good saw very easy to start and good on fuel. The pick up is very fast but for a 80cc saw it's not mindblowing power but it is very good ! If I was still climbing for big section fells it would be fantastic and to be fair on the very rough ground I'm on at present it was welcome. I stand by my first comments a while ago that I felt that it was a bit "cheap" feeling and the starter cover is very open along with the air filter sucking every bit of sawdust it can get (not into the inlet just around the filter) to the point I cleaned it out 4 times today on a short day, the 572 would need a look at the end of the day so just something to be aware of. I'll put up a video later ,outinthewood, to explain things a bit better. So a good saw yes a great saw we will see !!

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 09:14:19 AM »
this saw will also needs braking in. I'm cure she will gain more power and will satisfy you
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline outinthewood

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 05:36:22 PM »
Yes Teakwood a good point, it will I'm sure "open" up with a bit more use and as I said a good saw but for 80cc not a blow away deal so far. I think it may be a little deceiving as the very fast acceleration gets you there quick and then it's just "normal" ? One thing I have noticed is that it is not a big torque saw so you have to adjust your cutting style, the new AT on the 572-550 m2 allows a little bit leaning in on the saw and the AT takes it in it's stride. Again not a bad thing just means a little attention to how you handle it and get used to it.

Offline outinthewood

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 05:52:16 PM »
Well a few more days use and I'm getting to like the 500 a bit more , still very wary of the air filter which I just do not think long term is up to the job...I have never been upset by the "flippy" fuel and oil caps which a lot of folk seem to have a problem with but yesterday during a fairly normal wet day I did notice water which had got past the seal of the cap and I had no choice but empty out some fuel rather than take the chance of letting it in with the refill, just not good enough Stihl !! As for starting, again on a normal day of up and down temps it was no better than my 572 or 550 mark 2 i.e. when you would have put the fast idle on for one pull the 500 needed a couple or three pulls. Now bear in mind I am being very critical it is a very good saw and as Teakwood said it will need to bed in which it is doing and is finding it's feet however I think we will be talking about the 461 replacement with inj and the 661 inj replacement and the first foray by Stihl into this avenue will be a footnote ?

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 11:50:06 PM »
Heard the new MS881 will be introduced next February.
No fuel injection,  has a carb .
Oversized 661??

Offline chep

• Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 11:37:26 AM »
I have had issues with my 661c with fine dust getting past the filter. Then leading to carb troubles. These are sensitive machines these days...
I got a great tip, take some grease and goop it on the air filter where it meets the saw body. I just use my finger and coat it on. It really helps with the seal and catches all the fines that might get thru otherwise. When you take your filter off the intake area is now spotless and my saws are running great

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 08:22:53 PM »
or just go with the 462, so far its the cleanest saw I have cut with, air filter hardly ever gets dirty

Offline outinthewood

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 02:56:10 AM »
Well after a few weeks of using the 500i I'm still not sure why Stihl put it in the line up as an 80cc class saw since it's a good saw in fact a very good saw but it would be a game changing saw as a 60cc or 70cc saw. In the 80cc class it's just "good" fast powerful but what else would a 80cc saw be ? Its light build is very useful in rough / brushy ground but unless it has a light bar on it's a dog as I found out when I put a 28" Power match bar on it ! The area around the airfilter is great at gathering up a raft of debris and wet chips just love to fall in around the electrics so we will see long term how it fairs out. I like it and it has a place in the back of the jeep now so it's not that bad ! I've posted a few videos of it working on youtube "outinthewood" .

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2019, 08:02:36 PM »
still cannot buy one here but I hope soon and if its not any better than the 462 power wise it will go down the road

Offline outinthewood

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2019, 05:58:01 PM »
Have not even seen a 462 never mind used one so no comment, looking at the 500i against my 572  - nearly 10cc less- it's not a massive difference , it's a difference but not mind blowing. It is quicker if you have a lot of delimbing as the 500i is lighter and just loves being flat out but that speed comes with it's own issues, it's a little nose happy and touch it wrong and it will want to bite ! I've found I've changed a little bit limb cutting. I tend to use "pushing" cut with the 572 but with the 500 it's more "pull" which tends to slow me a little if we are going to get really in to seconds as near to "cookie" cutting as I get. So a very good saw which I believe is a platform for something much more interesting to come and if Willard has been talking to anyone in Stihl HQ he may have more to share ?  

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2019, 07:23:13 PM »
I got lots of 462's , I just bought a normal and 2 arctic 462s plus the other 462s I got here  .

Offline FloridaMike

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2020, 09:51:27 PM »
Meanwhile fast forward to April 2020... still no MS 500i on the US shelves or listed in the Stihl professional saws product list (although I see it has been added to the saw chain and bar selection page).  So when will it come to the States?  My piggy bank is full and waiting!

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2020, 05:16:21 PM »
nothing here , my dealer keeps checking with Stihl

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Mounting Cannon S2 (big Stihl) 42" bar on MS661 (small Stihl)

Started by neildorin on Chainsaws

1 Replies
Last post September 11, 2017, 06:01:44 AM
by Al_Smith
xx
Does Stihl have a different mount size at the studs for bigger and smaller Stihl

Started by quietrangr on Chainsaws

13 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 08:25:11 AM
by Al_Smith
xx
Stihl can't start the Stihl MS310 !

Started by mrcaptainbob on Chainsaws

17 Replies
Last post February 10, 2020, 09:53:28 PM
by mrcaptainbob
xx
What's the Dolmar equivalent of Stihl 260, and Stihl 362