iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spreading around topsoil without compacting the soil

Started by bigtrees, August 27, 2018, 08:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigtrees

I'm working up bid documents to have about 100 yards of soil brought into my tree farm as part of a road decommissioning project. The dirt will be dumped and then spread out in an area about maybe 20 feet wide by 70 feet long.

After the dump trucks dump the soil, I will need someone to spread it out. (I am assuming the dump trucks will dump it into a pile rather than driving while dumping?) I'm wondering how would someone spread the soil without compacting it? I will be planting seedlings on this area and want to avoid soil compaction.

Southside

Dump trucks can tailgate spread so it's not in a big pile, dump trailers - probably not so much.  Tracked equipment such as a small dozer or skid steer with tracks have a very light footprint in terms of PSI. That would be the way to go.  

As an example I am building a new mill house right now and had to dig a ditch for a power cable.  I packed the dirt back in with the excavator bucket and ran a plate compactor over it every 6"-8" of fill as this is an area I want compacted.  Rolled my 52,000 lb excavator across the covered ditch and the tracks didn't even hardly leave a mark.  Then rolled in a 12,000 lb man lift on rubber tires which immediately sunk in 3".
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Yup, its pounds of machine divided by square footage of ground contact points.  

A long track dozer with "swamp pads"  typically has less compaction than a human foot.  Any machine with LGP in the name will work.  24" wide tracks, not 13.  

I dont know how hourly rates will compare in your area but a 450 to 650 sized dozer will outdoze a skid loader all day every day by an outrageous margin.  Yes skid steers are the swiss army knife, but when you need a machete, hire a machete, not an exacto knife.  Dozer will push material uphill and carry a beautiful grade.  

My 18k dozer will push out slop and ride over the top where i cant walk without sinking up to the ankle.  A week of sun later, my 4500lb skid steer sinks right in and ruts it all up. 
Praise The Lord

florida

I wouldn't waste time getting bids on a small job like this. Two or three phone calls for pricing  and you should be good to go. Down here in south Florida a 18 yard truck load of dirt is $300.00 or less and a half day of skid steer time is another $300.00. Your job would be less than $2500.00 and I could have it finished this week.   You'd want some compaction or else when rain hits it you'll end up with a swale instead of flat land.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

DelawhereJoe

When I used to install septic systems the cat 277b we had was lgp certified, you "could" run it over your foot without it breaking it, not that we tryed but had less ground pressure then a foot print as well as the d3 doser we had.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Thank You Sponsors!