iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Franklin 30 winch

Started by just farming, December 27, 2018, 08:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just farming

Is there anyone out there that can tell me how much and what kind of oil to run in a franklin 30 winch. The winch hasn't been used for a long time. I pulled the friction disc out and cleaned the rust from the faces and wire brushed the spines. 
When I put it back together the clutch still seems to be dragging. When I loosen the brake bands so it will free spool it winds back in instead of free spool. I put 4 gallon of 85W-90 oil in after putting it back together. 
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cat 311
JD 550G
ASV RC50
Mack Superliner RW613 Dump
Kubota M9000 4X4
Kubota L3430 4X4
Deutz-Fahr Agroplus 87 4X4

Brian w

I just sold a Taylor skidder with the same winch you are referring to only difference is that it was called a sweed 30. I think franklin may have bought out the forestry part of the Taylor company cause Taylor only made skidders for about five years but I ran the skidder for about 6 years and I always just ran 80w 90 gear oil. I would say if your skidder has been sitting for awhile that it may need to be worked a bit to get things freed up and oiled again. If possible maybe hook it to a tree or something stable enough to pull the cable off then winch back in a few times and see if it starts to loosen up and work better.

just farming

Thanks for the info Brian, I called Baker and Sons today and they gave the same recommendation on the oil. It takes 8 quarts of 80W-90.
 As far as the clutch dragging was partially my fault. When I disassembled the clutch I didn't pull the 24 clutch springs out and there was enough residual oil left in the holes to cause the disc to drag. 
A couple of new x-rings, 6 cans of brake cleaner a bucket full of rags and some brake band adjusting and now everything seems to be dry and it free-spools like it should.
Cat 311
JD 550G
ASV RC50
Mack Superliner RW613 Dump
Kubota M9000 4X4
Kubota L3430 4X4
Deutz-Fahr Agroplus 87 4X4

Southside

Is that on the 170 you got from over this way?  How is she doing for you?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!