iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: Wudman on April 28, 2021, 09:58:58 AM
Quote from: firefighter ontheside on April 21, 2021, 10:26:28 AM
Yeah, GPS is not perfect.  I have lots of people coming to buy from me, but GPS takes people on the wrong driveway.  My neighbor's driveway is in the woods not far from my house, so GPS takes people down that driveway.  They get right behind my pond and it says you have arrived.  His driveway is about 1/4 mile long.  It sucks for him to have people showing up at his place which is supposed to be off the beaten path.  Now I give my address, but with a long description to not trust GPS and make sure to find my mailbox with my address and orange sawblade decals on it.  I don't want to have any kind of sign with my business name on it, because I don't want people showing up unannounced.
them a pin in Google Maps to get them to your location.  That's one of the best pieces of technology for me in the last 20 years.  

Wudman
Good idea.  I will try that.  Thanks.  This should bring them right to my driveway.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Well, I ALMOST did something dumb, but stopped JUST short.

Yup, tuning the 372 trying to get the idle speed down but steady, so it doesn't stall. Took it out to the log pile and did the final adjustments there using some wood to try it out. The saw was just winding down when the bar touched my shoe. Technically I did kind of sort of ruin a new pair of boots less than a month old, but, it might have been worse if I had sandals on. ;D Just shows you that fancy plastic don't hold up too well to the chain even at low rpm.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

sawguy21

:o That is too close for comfort!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

firefighter ontheside

Looks like you can still wear those boots and they will be a good reminder of what can happen.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

I know with the recent warmer weather and increasing humidity, athletes foot and toe fungus is an issue for many of us but I suggest you try a good corn starch based foot powder and heavy, absorbent, white cotton socks as an alternative to cutting ventilation holes in your boots. Hey, that's just my thoughts on the problem. You handle it any way you feel comfortable. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crossroads

Yesterday while milling 1x4x8' Alone. I was trying to keep up with myself (oh yeah, I was cutting 3 at a time) and not really doing a very good job at it. As I rounded the front of the mill at a good clip, I might have cut the corner just a bit with my right leg. 😳 you know how the mill shakes if you roll a log on and it hit the side supports? It doesn't shake like that when you cut that corner with your right leg 🤔 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Arcticmiller

Kinda did something along the line of the topic, mill was making a ticking sound kinda like I had a cracked band on its way out. I kept running it trying to get the last bit of life out of the steel I paid for...(probably because I'm cheap) then realized it was my blade wheel working away on the pillow block. Grub screws came loose, upon closer inspection the builder of my mill had installed that block backwards leading to an alignment/clearance issue I had been chasing for awhile, not sure how I missed it.

Moral of the story, when ya hear an off sound, shut down and check it out!

Anyway, I'll be using loctite on the next set of grub screws. The blocks on there were cheap no name offshore garbage. One thing at a time I guess, the other side is rolling on new US made blocks. Spendy but night and day difference in quality. New belt tensioner idler pulley on the way too, I am upgrading to a cooks idler wheel once I fabricate the new system, but that might take awhile. Til then it's lawnmower parts.....

moosehunter

While working on my flooring last night I made an end cut with my miter saw and did not wait for the blade to stop before raising it back up. The guard pulled the cutoff piece up into the still spinning blade. There was a LOUD bang! 

The safety guard ended up out in the lawn.

Fortunately everything but the shield is fine. The incident caused a raised heartbeat for a few minutes!
New shield already ordered. Maybe I'll remember to let the blade stop from now on. Maybe. ::)
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

sawguy21

:o I imagine that  got your attention!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Andries

Has your pooch decided weather it's safe to come back onto the porch yet? 😆
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WDH

I hate it when that happens.....
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

moosehunter

I had to do some coaxing to get Grommit to come back in the house!! He was already leary of the compressor and nail gun!
mh

JJ

cant tell from picture, but is your dog's tail now shorter?

firefighter ontheside

@moosehunter  Grommit...that's a great name for a dog.  Do you like cheese by any chance?

I have a very positive hook angle blade on miter saw and any piece smaller than an inch or so gets lifted up by the blade if I don't slow it down before letting it back up.  It makes and loud bang, but I have not destroyed the guard yet.  I try to always stop it before raising up any time I'm cutting off a small piece.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: moosehunter on April 30, 2021, 01:54:22 PM
I had to do some coaxing to get Grommit to come back in the house!! He was already leary of the compressor and nail gun!
mh
You're fortunate. I cant get my cat to hang out with me in the shop.  
Not sure if it would matter whether I turned on the dust collector or planer first. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

moosehunter

Grommit's tail has always been short, I didn't do it! His brother died from cancer last year. His name was Wallace. That should answer your cheese question! Grommit is a great helper right up to the first nail gun shot. Then he disappears.
mh

GAB

MH:
I think your dog is afraid of getting nailed.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Don P

Well, the physical therapist just left from his first visit with the boss after her knee surgery, that was his dumb move  :D. The bruising, screams and tears. He'll probably be ok by Monday though.

Nebraska

Send him my way... I just absent mindedly picked up one of my jack stands by the top jack part, I had a couple scrapboards in the other hand  felt it sliding and failed to grab it..... and well, the stand part proved that gravity still works from about waist high. It landed across my left big toe right at the first joint. I rarely wear tennis shoes....Took my work boots off when I came in for supper. I said really loud bad words...We are cleaning the garage for a graduation party....

doc henderson

I love my composite toed red wing boots.  i can get you the model number if you like to spend money on stuff.   :) :) :).  I get some with a softer upper and sole, and they do not require a break in period.  not as tough as some of the leather ones, but feel and run like tennis shoes.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

First time I've worn them in months, just didn't feel like lacing up the boots again, it's not so bad this morning  a little sore with an outline of the edge of the metal across the top of the toe.  Good boots are a job requirement.

Tacotodd

I love this topic and thread, it reminds me that "Todd, you're not the only one that domes some really stupid 🤬".

I feel better having gotten that off of my chest.

For my little dumb thing happened yesterday while I was "helping" my FIL clean up his yard. 

Well, I was cutting down some serious thick (think 4"+) weeds & brush, the only tools that "we" had were the chainsaws that I have in the bed of my truck. I still haven't come to a rational reason WHY this happened, but somehow with me operating MY saw, while I was cutting through one of those very thick pieces (& within just a few minutes of me putting a NICE & me personally hand sharpening on the chain, it caught his chanlink fence, while the tip of the bar was still in the bush! I'm suddenly like 🤬, you've got to be kidding. I think that the big guy, wherever he is at THAT particular moment, has the same kind of humor as the person that strange stuff happens to. No one was hurt, just my pride, time invested in re-creating my edge & and a little of the fence.
Trying harder everyday.

aigheadish

I got real close, yesterday, to a dumb thing. 

I was replacing my mailbox post and was too lazy to dig, by hand, a much larger hole than the hole opened from the old post. So the backhoe is out and working, my daughter is instructed to stick a shovel in the hole so I can see how deep it is and to look for wires. 

Now, I can see where the phone lines run and it's about three feet farther away from the road than where I am, so I assume I'm good. I'm also digging from my driveway across the street, so hoeing towards the edge of the street. I take a few small, gentle scoops, no trouble, she measures and finds the spot where it looks good, and says "I see wires!" Uh oh... I hop down and look in the hole and sure enough, about 6 inches from the edge of the road and maybe a foot down is conduit that is about a half inch around, maybe a little bigger, that has a bend from where I moved it with the backhoe but didn't break it.

Shew. Hopefully I won't mess around with any more of this edge-of-the-property junk any more, and realistically I think I could have just as easily stuck a shovel blade through it. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

JJ

At the end of the driveway of my previous home, they buried fiber optic communication trunk.   If you break it, they would replace the entire length from one repeater to next, which could be several to 10's of miles.   You were responsible (home owner or contractor) for entire cost if you did not call dig safe first, and have the locations marked.
Sometimes I think dig safe is not exactly sure where the cable is, as there is no electrical current to detect.

JJ

firefighter ontheside

When I had a new well put in a few years ago, I had dig rite come out and mark the locations.  He painted a line thru my front yard and I told him there was nothing there.  He said, yes it is thats your phone line.  Now, I built the house and was involved in everything and I knew the phone line wasn't over there, but Im not the professional.  Well guy avoided all the paint markings while digging with the backhoe to run the water line.  What do you know, he digs right thru my phone line where I knew it was.  Dig rite guy showed up about an hour later and couldn't believe it.  At least the repair bill was not on me or my well guy.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!