Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Good idea.. 8)  I like that.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Crusarius

I like the fix. looks very nice. and consistency is key :)

Wudman

My Dad always said that the Hallmark of a good carpenter was being able to hide your mistakes.  Good cover.

Wud
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Don P

If you play the wrong note, do it again, and we have jazz.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Don P on May 14, 2023, 06:37:16 AM
If you play the wrong note, do it again, and we have jazz.
Yeah, that was kind of my thought too Don. Two great music teachers and performers I know would say "There are no wrong notes, what matters is picking the notes to follow the one you just played.
 Obviously the mistake had me pretty upset after what I paid for that Sycamore. I usually measure 3 times or more, then put pencil marks and check before I cut on stuff like that. But the bar is down on the floor and I am working on the shelf up in the loft shop and I was too lazy to carry it down and back up for a pre-cut check. Actually, in person, the contrast does look good and I may use it in other stuff. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

If you don't point out your mistakes with wood, most would not notice.  ;) 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Crusarius

I always like contrasting woods. thats why a bunch of my projects are walnut and hickory or walnut and spalted maple. the dark and light really make a project pop.

doc henderson

Good God Tom! :snowball:  It looks more interesting with the repair.  that is nice straight grained ERC.  looks like red aniline dyed Oak.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

trapper

my turn I guess.  Yesterday stuff built under the turner on my mill  It wouldnt return to below the deck.  Pulled on it and it returned  The end of my little finger is bright blue for the first inch.  Today I didn't relieve the pressure on the gas can before filling the chainsaw.  Got a faceful of gas.  Had safety glasses on which saved my eye.  Went into the house to wash my face.  Used the pump soap dispenser  and got an eyeful of soap.  Things happen in 3s so hope I am done for awhile.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

aigheadish

Goodness trapper! I hope you gave up after that, some days it's better to stay in bed. I hope you are OK! 

I just bought a new weedeater and it made a bunch of noise, in the manual, about fuel geysering. I know pressure builds up in gas cans or tanks but I've never seen it shoot out. The pressure does seem to pop the top off my 50:1 can when I start loosening the cap. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

NaySawyer

If the gas can spout is long and in the gas the surface of the non-spout gas acts like a hydraulic cylinder pushing the gas up through the spout.  I drill a small hole at the top of the spout and orient it up when pouring.  This relieves the pressure.  If the can has a vent open it first.

Crossroads

Took me 5 years, but I finally did it! 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

Was someone watching you mill?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

jpassardi

Was someone making annoying comments at the time? That's when I cut into mine...
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Southside

Better late than never.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

Lol, yes there were whitenesses. Nothing a new 5/8" bolt won't fix 😝
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

WV Sawmiller

You can reverse the rollers, repeat and tell people they came from the factory that way to provide extra traction. ;)

At least you still have both tips on your log turner claw. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

A carriage bolt with the square part rounded off so it slides in gives you another 3/8" or more of safety margin, or so I have been told.   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

moosehunter

Taking the bolt right off,..  I'm impressed!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Magicman

Actually there is no need for a carriage bolt.  Mine has been nicely rounded off by the blade.  ::)

Plus you get those unique geometric patterns on the roller.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAB

I need to rotate the bolt on mine 90°.  Then if I hit it just right again I'll be able to use either a flat or phillips screw driver.
Are there any teeth left on the blade?
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Ventryjr

Had a bit of a close call today. Still need to the get the log wrested back on the carriage.  
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Resonator

And here I thought only bandsaw mills had that problem. ;D

My contribution to help keep the thread going... I discovered recently that my local hardware store sells male and female repair ends for 5/8" garden hose. 
(You can buy them individually, or you can buy them in multiples...) :-X
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

thecfarm

I buy only the brass ones.
I bought one of those plastic ones because they was cheapy. Wife ran over it the next week and broke it.
I bought a brass one and we can run them over all we want now.  ;)
I make up a lot of short hoses for the wife. When I was at the hardware store working, I got the discount and I have a coffee can full of both males and females.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!