iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: WDH on May 13, 2020, 08:32:31 PM
That is a pretty good whack.  I always heard that if you are going to do something, you may as well do it right :).
Thanks Danny.  I'm happy you think I did it right.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Wintergreen Mountain

WOA!
   When I saw firefighterontheside as last post, I was afraid you Done Something Dum Again already.

Good to see you Didn't
  Stay safe!
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

thecfarm

Ever walk into the door of a cap on a truck? I have a small truck, Colorado. That DanG cap door comes just right. I won't bother to tell you all this is the second time. The first time, many months ago was not all that bad. I made up for it this time.  ;) That corner is sharp.
Forgot to say, that corner bites into my forehead.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

I am glad to learn I'm not the only one to do that. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

K-Guy

Unfortunately this thread will never end. Who knows maybe someone will learn something from this. 

Probably not me though!!  electricuted-smiley thumbs-up
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

samandothers

Ouch! Man hitting your nose like that can sure make your eyes water!

firefighter ontheside

I sure hope I will be more careful on the wet trailer boards,but yeah, I will continue to do dumb things.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

Was hooking up the gooseneck to my 1 ton about 10 years ago.  my son who was about 9 gave directions as I backed under.  It was close so we lowered it to see if would center itself.  told my son who weighed about 60 pounds to grab the front of the trailer and shake it to help it over.  we were back in trees and it was a little muddy.  it did not move.  He was in the bed.  so I jumped up to the far left side of the bumper and with both hands on the tongue of the trailer, gave it a hard shake, as my son had already done the softer version and it did not move.  trailer still did not move, but instantly push my feet off the bumper and my left rib cage landed full force on the side of the bed.  I could barely breath or walk, and of course my son smiles a little.  I told him not to smile as I made my way to the open drivers door to lay my top half in the seat and catch my breath.  when you break bones in a circle, they usually break in two places.  I had pain in the front and back of my left rib cage for about 6 weeks.  pretty sure in other word I broke ribs.  I survived.  no x-ray as the treatment is the same.  grin and bear it.  unless sob, then need to r/o a collapsed lung.  good lesson.  :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

@doc henderson ,

Your tale with your son reminds me when we were leaving Jacksonville NC after I got out of the USMC. I had sold my house and moved into a rental till things stabilized (If that is the correct term for it for moving here). I was moving furniture in my right new pick up with a camper shell on the back and had it loaded to much I could not see out the back so I told my son who was about 11 y/o to watch for traffic as I backed out of the drive. I had the passenger window down so I could see and talk to him. I slowly backed up and kept asking "Is anybody coming?" He kept telling me "Nope" Finally I came to an abrupt stop with a loud crunch. I got out and found I had backed into the new owners Scout parked at the curb with it's heavy duty bumper which was just high enough to ride over the top of mine and hit the corner of my truck between the bumper and the light. I looked at Sean and told him "I thought you said there was nothing coming." Sean has never been one to be at a loss of words and immediately replied "It wasn't coming. It was parked."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sawwood

Yesterday i was at the sawmill cutting up a maple log for a customer. Need to go back to the shop

to fill the water jug. I forgot to raise to garage door up and it was just at head high. Dum me I as

looking down at my cell phone and ran right into it. Knock me down on the drive was and bruised my

Hand. Next time i will remember to raise it up all the way.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

VooDooChikin04

I was at a residential home loading up some logs from a fallen tree about 2 years ago.  The heaviest one had me slip right as I was at the back of the trailer, fell down and about broke my teeth out on the back corner side rail.  Luckily I came away with only some hefty scratches!

JJ

Yep,
Pushing a wheel-barrel over loaded with firewood to OWB during spring thaw, picked up good head of steam before front wheel sunk in mud, feet kicked out and face plant into back of wheel-barrel (maybe a log, my eyes closed by that point), still going down with hands on the handles, next face plant into mud, and entire load of firewood dumped ontop of my back and head as barrel flipped backwards.   Little slow getting up from that one, sorry/thankful no pictures or video, but busted right between the eyes like FF-ontheside.

JJ

firefighter ontheside

@WV Sawmiller sounds like something my 9 year old Sean would do if I trusted him at all to help me back up.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

we are all either lucky to still be alive, or tough as nails,  I guess I will go with both! :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

K-Guy

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on May 14, 2020, 01:02:57 PMsounds like something my 9 year old Sean would do if I trusted him at all to help me back up.

Sounds like you are learning already. :D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Old Greenhorn

Something about reading this thread during lunch brought me bad luck this afternoon when I fell not once,but twice with a very heavy load. Could have got bad hurt both times. One injury to my cocyx and the other to my shin. I was lucky.

Here's a photo of one, I haven't seen the other myself yet but they both smart right well. I won't be posting a photo of that one in any event, don't want to give MM any competition.

Edit 2 hours later: that tail bone pain is not letting up and it hurts to sit. Then shin only hurts when it gets touched. Glad tomorrow is a lighter day with a run up to harbor freight an hour away. Hope I can tolerate sitting in the truck that long.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

sawguy21

Some of us are real creative when it comes time to hurt ourselves. ;D We were unloading concrete guardrails with a picker, I reached up to stop one from spinning just as buddy swung the boom. I was on the offside where he couldn't see me. That load caught me in the coconut and parked me on my butt. Good thing I was wearing a hardhat but it still rung my bell.

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Nebraska

Nothing sawmill or tree or lumber related here just my glamorous job....
So today was crazy busy no real reason for it except the weather was better I guess. It's been drizzly wet a few days, we needed the moisture. I had a bunch of cattle work after dinner and wasn't really presentable afterwards and we had some small animal appointments late afternoon so I changed out my dirty scrub top that has a zippered pocket to a plain one. Well things are going back and forth techs taking pets outside, sending aimals home taking in appointments etc. Well one dog I had to sedate and it  barfed in the surgery room while the sedative was starting to work.  (ma'am has your dog eaten today.....)   it happens with this product some times, no big deal.  Move the dog to the exam room, the tech goes out to do something else, I retrieve  stuff to clean it up and just as I bend over to start, I realize I just changed shirts.
Now....No longer is my cellphone contained by a zipper pocket. It is of course ahead of me along with its pocket buddy the ink pen, they have sensed their new found freedom and are hurtling out of my pocket at lightspeed. My hand flails up grasping a now empty shirt pocket, and  clinically inappropriate words issue from my lips as in slow motion my phone belly flops into a pile of fancy gourmet dog barf, his buddy the ink pen only lands half way in/out.. :-[ So from the office across the hallway I hear Doctor H's voice  "what's going on in there Doc?".....My reply ...cell phone fell out of my pocket into fancy  dog vomit.....pause ...laughter from across the hall.  receptionist  down the hallway "what was that, your phone fell in what??"
Me "dog barf" ....more laughter. At lest my tech said thank you for cleaning up after laughing. My wife even laughed at me. Glad I've got a good phone  case.

WDH

I hate it when that happens. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

Those darn phones do like to escape with new found freedom.  Sometimes, as you found out, they land in fancy dog barf.  You would think they would learn a lesson, but they don't.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Nebraska

Well at least it didn't commit harikari upon landing, there was a bright side. A couple others weren't so lucky wh e n they lept to freedom.

WV Sawmiller

Your tale reminds me of the time I stopped at our local Vet's office and he was cussing a blue streak and scrubbing all the walls. Seems the previous patient was a monkey with diarrhea. whiteflag_smiley smiley_horserider headscratch running-doggy steve_smiley
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

samandothers

My dad always carried a transistor radio in his shirt pocket.  He wrapped a couple of rubber bands around it to keep it from sliding out when he'd bend over.

Thanks for the chuckle this morning.

Rodman

Nebraska at least you got yours back. I went to marina to take boat to the lake property. Always put my phone inside boat before I did anything. This time I was in a hurry to meet someone out there. Started untying boat splosh, there goes my new ( 2 month old ) sonim xp8 phone 50' down to the bottom. They are waterproof for 30 minutes. But for some reason I couldn't find a diver hanging around the marina that day to retrieve it lol. Costly mistakes $700 to replace.

farmfromkansas

Your phone story reminded me of a couple summers ago, I was adding oil to the hydraulic reservoir on my old combine. Bent over pouring oil up on the platform when my phone took a dive out of my pocket.  Right on the ground and broke the screen in 2 places.  Worked for a while before wiping out my contact list.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!