iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: The weather 2019

Started by SwampDonkey, January 01, 2019, 04:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

This was last year in January,

Now it's still all white. They get the sun,so when this is kinda bare,than my fields will be in bare about 2 weeks.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

Spent the morning setting up temporary fence posts and wire stuck in the snow on top of my 4+ foot tall permanent fence. Down to 10° again last night now the snow is so solid this morning the cows were out wandering around wherever they wanted to go. Some bare spots where the wind blew the snow away, other areas the drifts are still 6-8 foot tall.

lxskllr

Pretty nice day, 45° and sunny. Got some vines cut at work, and saved just enough chain to rip a muddy piece of wood at my house. That took a bunch of teeth off, and the chain's officially done. That's three chains I used up cutting vines, and I think I'm more or less done with that. I got all the bigger stuff I could see, but I undoubtedly missed a few. I'm really interested in seeing what everything looks like when it greens up.

The boss expressed interest in really cleaning up the pond, so I'm about 90% sure I'll be the owner of an echo clearing saw by the end of next week. I didn't really want one, but it should come in handy, and work will end up paying for most to all of it, with my labor being free of course, but I'll be the owner of a machine.

Ianab

How's this for rain...  A weather station near Hokitika (South Island West Coast) has just recorded 1086 mm of rain in the last 48 hours, that's over 42 inches!!!  Locally we consider 1" per hour to be pretty much torrential, and that kept up for 2 days  :o

And yes roads, and one of the main highway bridges have been washed away, along with one person. Unfortunately the detour around the missing bridge is 1,000 km by road.  

The band of rain will reach us this afternoon, but it's a lot weaker now, so only expecting a couple of inches overnight.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

That is a rain storm. :o  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

Quote from: thecfarm on March 26, 2019, 09:52:52 PM
That is a rain storm. :o  :(
Yup, by comparison, Christchurch, which is about 100 miles away gets about 650mm a YEAR.
This link shows the detour around the washed out bridge....
https://goo.gl/maps/8ghAm8k81d52
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

Another sunny day, just a little below freezing now,should get up to mid 40's. The river is clear of ice down here. That is good. Snow still deep in the woods here. Looks like I am out of mud season in my driveway. Some years I get about 2 inches deep. This year there was hardly any mud. But a slow year with run off too. I can see a couple areas that I will have to haul in some gravel,where the wheel tracks are. Sunk down a little. Driveway is up in the air a good 6-8 inches and it still tries to goes down.

chevytaHOE5674

Sunny and 40° today but with a cold north wind off the frigid lake. Snow is slowly melting and I was able to get to the woods this morning and cut a little firewood. Skidding it out wasn't so easy as the tractor was dragging belly and the logs acted as anchors in the heavy wet snow.

Ideal would be to loose another foot of snow then get cold for a few days a freeze things up. Could skid all I wanted to get out of the swamp in just a few trips across some crusty snow.

curdog

70 today and probably 75 tomorrow.  Buds are breaking on the poplars... and finally drying out a little.  Hopefully we're going to get some burning done tomorrow.  Our burning days have been a than limited this year. 

lxskllr

It was about 55° and sunny. I think I'm done splitting wood at work; finished yesterday. My front porch is full, and I have my own wood in the backyard. I got all the best pieces of cherry, but there's still a bunch left, as well as many cords of maple. I feel like I should do something with it to keep it from being wasted, but I don't reasonably have room here. Oh, well. I can't be responsible for everything.

lxskllr

62°, cloudy, and sporadic drizzle. Got home from work, and opened the door to warm it up in the house  :^D

thecfarm

A nice 50° day,but not much sun. Yesterday lots of sun,lots of wind. Kept it on the cool side.The snow has really melted from around the trees.

Bricklayer51

I thought the snow was almost gone got 2 inches and still snowing

thecfarm

I can see 2 bare parts in the field on the hill. That fog we had last night helped that out some. That means about 2 weeks for me. We went to see my FIL,about a ½ hour from me. 20 minutes away there is a big difference in the snow. Just about draw a line difference. But that's how it is every year.
Friday was a great warm day!! Best so far.
Today overcast,showers afternoon.

Edit at 11:30am. A nice warm breeze out there. Must be coming in from the South. Not like the other day. That was a cold wind. This will help dry things out.

Ljohnsaw

Pictures from 3/30/19:  Here is my SkyTrac  :-\  The rear of the boom is just peeking out (about 8' up):

My cabin foundation.  The front sills are about 8' up, the main building is 10'.

My tool shed made from a truck body that stands 9' at the top of the door:

It might be a few days until I can start cutting again... ::)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

Some think Maine get snow like that.

chevytaHOE5674

There is a reason not many people live up at those elevations. Haha

Couple inches of snow here yesterday that mostly melted by afternoon. Down to 17° last night and not above freeze yet today. 

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: thecfarm on March 31, 2019, 02:22:17 PM
Some think Maine gets snow like that.
No, Maine is MUCH worse!  At least twice as much!  Stay away, city folks! ;) :D

California is at 176% of normal for this time of year.  Still a month or so of snow possible.  Like Tuesday it is supposed to snow again :-\
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

ljohnsaw, :D
My post about the warm air did not last long after I posted about it. :(  The wind picked up some cold from somewheres. :o 
But the field on the hill is well on it's way of being bare. That fog and what was a warm wind,did a job on the snow.
Had another cold day yesterday,wind and all.

wisconsitom

Hey we're all "farmers" here to some extent, in that we're weather-dependent folks.  Leastways, I sure am with my tree farm, much of which consists of white pine and Norway spruce.  As it is now really going to start to warm up-highs of around 60F this weekend-it is driving me to begin my white pine weevil spraying operation, beginning this Friday if weather is suitable.  I will be spraying the tips of white pine and Norway spruce, on trees from roughly 4 ft. height up to perhaps 20 ft. height.  Just the growing tips, where the female weevil will soon be laying her eggs.

Big job and one I wish I didn't have to do, but I want white pine and spruce trees, not multi-topped bushes.  I did one treatment last spring and already I think the situation is a bit better, in terms of possibly having knocked the population back some.  This year's treatment will do more in that regard.

Spraying the small, head-height trees will be fast and easy.....just a quick squirt at the terminal bud(s).  But the 20-footers.....that's another story.  I can get the spray up there by turning the sprayer nozzle to steady-stream....but inevitably, spray material is drifting downwards on top of you while you're applying.  I've got one set of very old coveralls that I reserve for this job.

Material applied will be a synthetic pyrethroid.  A sticker/spreader will be mixed in so as to allow the material to remain on the plant tissues longer.  I have roughly 6000 individual trees to treat.

No red pine nor hybrid larch will be involved in this spraying.  These two tree types make up the remainder of the bulk of the plantation, although there are smatterings of other entities.

tom
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Bricklayer51

Winter does not give up snowing hard now went from bare ground to white in less than half an hour

chevytaHOE5674

Snow on and off yesterday and everything is white this morning. Mother nature is just reminding us that it's only April and we have another month of wintery weather.

wisconsitom

April....the cruelest month.  You can quote me on that, although a fellow by the name of Mr. Shakespeare may have said it earlier.

tom
Ask me about hybrid larch!

thecfarm

We had a snow storm just enough to make the ground white. The field that I can see is just about bare. Will see the bare spots around noon when all the snow we got last night melts. The snow is starting to melt in the woods. My woods road has is melted down to the dirt in places. Rocks are showing up in the fields. ;D
Drove the tractor around one field. Picked up some tree limbs,many more to pick up. Even hauled a few rocks into a mud hole in the woods road. My first load. That wind is blowing hard again.

Jim_Rogers

Extremely windy hear yesterday and today. Lot of trees down, taking out power lines and some have hit houses, in my home town.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!